C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do I eliminate vapor canister...what to do with hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:46 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Does your state have smog laws that are enforced. 2 summers ago I was pulled over by our provinces smog police. He actually pulled on the hoses, they came off the canister then tried to tell me that I did not have the OEM equip't installed and that I would be given a ticket and be forced to install a complete system including the AIR system that a he stated was missing. I flipped out when he pulled those hoses off as by law he could look but not touch. In the end he gave me a written warning but said that my vette was now in the system and if pulled over again I would be subject to a large fine.
Thanks to Easy Mike, Mike Ward and a few others here they gave me great info, I have the 1972 Corvette AIM easily accessible to me but I wasn't sure on the actual wording in an area as it was a bit smudged.
Bottom line with environmental policy being what it is and more provinces and states looking to crack down I would never remove mine. I am just glad that my '72 did not come equip't with the AIR pump and I have the photocopy of that page from the AIM in my vette at all times. Btw, the ride home stunk as we could smell the gas vapour fumes. Took the vette to a buddy who has a hoist the next day and plugged those hoses in again. Removed the valve cover aftermkt breather and back to proper venting into the air cleaner/carb.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:01 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Mashman has the best info, so far. The vapor canister IS the vent for the fuel tank on vehicles equipped in this manner. Also, the fiber filters/screens in the canister are usually the only defective components. And, if the activated carbon is contaminated, it can be replaced with a bit of work.

With a working system, there is no downside to having the vapor canister...except for a few pounds of extra weight. Any fuel vapors collected by the canister are later burned during engine operation; that not only keeps the atmosphere cleaner--it also improves your fuel mileage [by a smidgen].

If you aren't getting any accumulated fuel smell in your garage, the system is probably working as it should. Just leave it alone.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
With some people on here this is normal. I agree to do a search on a simple question is a pain sometimes. Just start another thread and hope someone just comes along and gives a simple answer. Some also want to know why you are doing something and it is stupid if you do it that way, because their way is always right. Remember it is your car and do with it what you want.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Rant

We are here to give and receive help I believe. I get tired of certain people (you know who you are) telling us to use the search function. I use the search function and often don't come up with the EXACT answer that I need. You know it alls who have had Corvettes all of your life should understand that there are new Corvette owners here on the forum. We don't know or understand all that you do. You should read this and I'll shut up! Maybe it should be posted here on the C3 forum huh?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...questions.html

Last edited by Street Rat; 12-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Street Rat
We are here to give and receive help I believe. I get tired of certain people (you know who you are) telling us to use the search function. I use the search function and often don't come up with the EXACT answer that I need. You know it alls who have had Corvettes all of your life should understand that there are new Corvette owners here on the forum. We don't know or understand all that you do. You should read this and I'll shut up! Maybe it should be posted here on the C3 forum huh?

Tell ya- what I'll never say 'go do a search' again if nobody else gives another poster sh*t cause he doesn't immediately write out a 500 word essay (for the 50th time) on how something works. Too bad there's not a sticky for that.

Deal?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:17 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Thanks Street Rat, I didn't know that thread existed but concur 100%... Even the moderator knows how frustrating the search function is. Like I told someone else, if they don't want to answer my question I'm good with that but a response of telling me to do a search is just, well... I can't say it because I don't want to be like them
Old 12-16-2012, 07:20 PM
imariver
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I just put those people on my ignore list, that way I don't have to see their 2-cents-worth.

Thank you Mr. Moderator
Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

I'd prefer to not put someone on my ignore list if I can help it, sometimes they do say something that does help.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:05 PM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

"gringo perhaps you live too far from the border to understand"!
Old 12-16-2012, 08:58 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by garym52
I'm having trouble finding a replacement/parts for it. I read something that said the cartridge needed to be replaced regularly.
So, instead of fixing it, you're going to just remove it and toss it in the trash. We have a name for people who do stuff like that around here.......Bubba!

Scott
Old 12-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by scottyp99
So, instead of fixing it, you're going to just remove it and toss it in the trash. We have a name for people who do stuff like that around here.......Bubba!

Scott
My turn to
Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Scott
Or it could be described as putting your car on a diet Seems there are lots of folks whom remove things that they feel (and others) are really not necessary in order to lose weight.... just a thought
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 PM
garym52
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Scott
I kinda take offense to that because every broken part of my car has been repaired or replaced over the past two years and for you to refer to me as Bubba is both assinine and rude. I'm sure that you are all knowing and can fix anything, but I happen to live in a state that doesn't require my car to maintain the pollution control equipment, so if it isn't needed I thought I would just do away with it. Since I couldn't find replacement parts. This is what I've been doing just so you can see how I've been a Bubba, jerk.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-any-tips.html
Old 12-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

This thread is quickly turning into a
Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

As the sun rises in the east..........
Old 12-17-2012, 08:30 AM
71scgc
Melting Slicks

Received 58 Likes on 57 Posts

DON'T plug the hard line from the tank. It is the vent for the tank, as stated above.
I removed my vapor can 2 years ago. It was a hollow shell of itself, filters deteriorated, no activated charcoal in it at all. I left a section of rubber hose on the hard line that is bent over to keep anything from falling down it. My car is no more fuel vapor stinky than it was with the can installed, perhaps even a little less. Ditch the other hoses, and plug the ports or replace the lines that were tee'd with new lines to the carb. Once upon a time someone posted a one-way valve you could put on the hard line from the fuel tank. I'm too big a link-posting spazz to try and find it utilising the somewhat cumbersome search function.
Carter
Old 12-17-2012, 08:40 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 71scgc
I'm too big a link-posting spazz to try and find it utilising the somewhat cumbersome search function.
Carter

Get notified of new replies

To how do I eliminate vapor canister...what to do with hoses?

Old 12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Click on "SEARCH". Click on 'Click for Advanced Search' at the bottom of the box. Fill in the blanks with the sort criteria you want to use.

Click on "Search Now".

Not that tough....
Old 12-17-2012, 12:47 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by garym52
I kinda take offense to that because every broken part of my car has been repaired or replaced over the past two years and for you to refer to me as Bubba is both assinine and rude. I'm sure that you are all knowing and can fix anything, but I happen to live in a state that doesn't require my car to maintain the pollution control equipment, so if it isn't needed I thought I would just do away with it. Since I couldn't find replacement parts. This is what I've been doing just so you can see how I've been a Bubba, jerk.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...-any-tips.html
Well, to paraphrase Mrs. Gump, "Bubba is as Bubba does.....". I've done my share of Bubba "repairs", myself, so I should know!

If you really want to get rid of it, all you have to do is get rid of it, block off/remove all the lines that were connected to it, and install a vented gas cap. Then, instead of the gasoline fumes being gathered in the cannister and burned off when you start the engine, they will be released straight into the atmosphere by the vented gas cap.

In a way, I can understand your logic: why would you want to give a crap about the environment, unless there is some law, and an enforcement body enforcing it, that says you have to give a crap about the environment? Screw the environment! What has it ever done for us, right?

Scott
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 PM
fly1977
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

amen ,the end!

Quick Reply: how do I eliminate vapor canister...what to do with hoses?