Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New NCRS 68-69 Judging Manual Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:48 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Default New NCRS 68-69 Judging Manual Issues?

Anyone get the new NCRS 68-69 Judging Manual? My good friend received his copy and is a bit disappointed, specifically in the 68 area. He noted, just to name a few (regarding the L79) there is no mention of the correct stampings on the valve covers, which is a dead giveaway for a replacement. He mentioned the book states ALL SB oil fill caps were painted orange (L79 is flash chrome). There is also no mention of the wider sill plates on early 68's. Also, in regards to A.I.R., the book indicates "early" cars have a sticker on the cup of the diverter and later cars are ink stamped...wrong.

Anyhow, these are just a few things he noticed as he glanced through it. I don't have mine yet so this is second source, but I trust his opinions as he is a Master Judge and specializes in 68-69 (and 78 Pace Cars). He did mention the book was much more comprehensive and had a lot of good points.

Maybe I'm just too picky.

Anyone else see any issues?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

There was an open call for members to contribute to the manual revision some time ago, might be a year or so. Did your friend send in his suggestions at that time?
Old 12-22-2012, 04:24 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
There was an open call for members to contribute to the manual revision some time ago, might be a year or so. Did your friend send in his suggestions at that time?
he did, plenty of them, including several that I mentioned.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:30 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,023 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
but I trust his opinions as he is a Master Judge and specializes in 68-69 (and 78 Pace Cars).
That sounds like a friend of mine. Would he be a gentleman from NJ, who owns several Pace Cars and is deep into a multi year restoration of a very early VIN 68 convertible? If so, I was talking to him about a week ago, and he hadn't received the manual yet, and wondered if I had seen one.

I will say, having worked on the 80-82 Judging Manual, it seems that no matter how many times you go through it, things still get missed. I recently came across something wrong in the 80-82 book, that I must have looked at 100 times before.

It's not a perfect world, which is why the Manuals get updated periodically.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:40 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gbvette62
That sounds like a friend of mine. Would he be a gentleman from NJ, who owns several Pace Cars and is deep into a multi year restoration of a very early VIN 68 convertible? If so, I was talking to him about a week ago, and he hadn't received the manual yet, and wondered if I had seen one.

I will say, having worked on the 80-82 Judging Manual, it seems that no matter how many times you go through it, things still get missed. I recently came across something wrong in the 80-82 book, that I must have looked at 100 times before.

It's not a perfect world, which is why the Manuals get updated periodically.
I agree, no manual is perfect. Just wanted to see if anyone picked up any others. Not being a judge...would a judge take points off for a car that, let's say had aftermarket but correct looking valve covers for an L79 but did not have the stamping? Could the owner argue it makes no mention in the judging manual? I don't know the answer, maybe you guys can tell me. Thanks, john
Old 12-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

If it's typical to see these stampings (not quite clear on what they are) on all L79s and never covers without them, then yes a judge might take a deduction.

No manual could ever include a 100% of information. It's not in the book doesn't get a person very far.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:12 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
would a judge take points off for a car that, let's say had aftermarket but correct looking valve covers for an L79 but did not have the stamping?
A replacement or repro part, that is correct in every way, except that it's missing a part number or manufacturer's mark, can and likely will receive, a partial deduction.

Generally, repro parts that are correct in their appearance and function, should not be deducted for, but any variation from original, will receive a hit of some sort.

Could the owner argue it makes no mention in the judging manual?
The simple answer is no.

If a manual is wrong, and an owner can prove it, he can argue his case, but something not covered by the manual, is basically at the discretion of the judge and his knowledge.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:04 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

69 L36 Cars with factory AC have a 2 way tree (3 way tree if PB) at the rear of the intake and do not use a steel vacuum advance line.

At the FL regional last year, I had to get the team leader involved to tell the judges that the lack of vacuum advance line on my car was correct. The deduction had already been made and the judges wanted to move on, but I refused. I didnt have a copy of the AIM with me, and the judging manual states that all L36 cars had the steel vacuum advance lines. The new manual is still the same. A copy of that page in the AIM is now in my binder of pics of the car.

Gary

Last edited by exposingtime; 12-22-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:07 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

You would be hard pressed to convince an NCRS judge that he/she should change position because of a difference between the NCRS 'Bible' and one copy of the AIM for that year.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
You would be hard pressed to convince an NCRS judge that he/she should change position because of a difference between the NCRS 'Bible' and one copy of the AIM for that year.
Please share your first-handed experience to back up this statement .

Thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Did not receive mine yet,cant wait to get it.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:08 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Are you refuting my statement, Mike? Or are you just babbling-on again?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Are you refuting my statement, Mike? Or are you just babbling-on again?
As I suspected- you're just bashing again.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:47 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

As someone who has entered cars in NCRS judging, I've successfully disputed a judge, and I know others who have also.

At the same time, while judging I have been corrected by an owner, and/or sought the help of another judge, when something was in question. I've also been asked to clarify something in question, by other judges.

Admittedly, I haven't judged recently, because I find it a conflict with my business interests in the hobby, but I don't think things have changed that much.

I will say that I would not accept an illustration in the AIM, as outright proof in every situation though. The AIM's illustrations aren't very detailed sometimes, and they often don't correctly illustrate a part. You have to remember that they were intended to help assemble the car, not to identify parts.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 AM
JimE
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Any mention of "M" coded blocks instead of a casting date on some of the 69's?
Old 12-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by gbvette62

I will say that I would not accept an illustration in the AIM, as outright proof in every situation though.
Nor would a half decent judge outright ignore what the owner is presenting. If still in doubt after review, benefit of said doubt goes to the owner.

Our friend with the blue car, who IIRC, has never presented a car for judging or been a judge, possibly never been to a meet, has a long track record of stating absolutes on 'how things work'. You can always pick out the posers in a crowd- they like to make everything out to be black and white
Old 12-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Are you refuting my statement, Mike? Or are you just babbling-on again?...
The chip on your shoulder is showing. Again. Why not bury the hatchet?

Get notified of new replies

To New NCRS 68-69 Judging Manual Issues?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:01 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

I was just thinking, since there are so many 68 only parts, and differences in production times, and since apparently the book is very long, that they could have been more detailed on some of it. Again, I have not seen it yet.

Also found out there is no mention of the 68 only rear grilles.

Again, I am probably being too picky. BTW, I am an NCRS member, but have never had my car judged. I am a purist "for me" only at this stage.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Mike/Mike...

So, you're saying that, given a choice of judging according to the NCRS Judging Guide or to a one-point-in-time document like a page in the [many times reproduced] AIM...which could easily be "doctored"...an NCRS judge might seriously consider changing his/her opinion?

If that really is true, then NCRS judging is flakier than I thought.

I truly don't think either one of you disagrees with what I stated; I think you just want to be disagreeable.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:45 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

Am I your friend? I have a blue car

Quick Reply: New NCRS 68-69 Judging Manual Issues?