C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body work costs to replace passenger fender question.

Old 12-25-2012, 11:57 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Body work costs to replace passenger fender question.

I am not all that familiar with how c3s are put together. The car needs a passenger fender. Is that something that has to be Installed and fiberglassed or is it something I can repair myself?

If I have a body shop do it does anyone know approx labor hours and cost for repairs? I know the fender and inner fender are going to run about $800. I am trying to see if I can get that repaired and have the car repainted for under $4000.

Thanks.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:33 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi WV,
Will you just be replacing the actual fender, (from the bonding strip down), or the fender and part of the hood surround?
A bit of difference in the complexity of the two jobs.
Regards,
Alan
I don't have the car yet I should be picking it up tomorrow morning. The current owner says it is broken from the bonding strip down. From what I can see in pictures that looks to be accurate. I figure replacing the whole fender would be better than trying to just repair the damaged section. It may need a new front bumper too, but I can't really tell yet.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:11 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Hi WV,
I believe you'll find that replacing the fender from the bonding strip down will be much less involved.
Repairing the apron/wheel-well may be a problem or maybe not... depends on just what it needs.
The outer flange on the apron/wheel-well is bonded to the inside of the fender. There is a long, narrow (couple of inches wide) bonding strip that is bonded behind the seam for strength. It remains visible even in un-hit cars
Here's a picture to give you an idea where the bonding is.
Regards,
Alan

That portion of the fender is fine. It is the front half that has the damage. Is it fairly easy for a talented DIYer to replace the bonding? From what I can see in the photo it needs all the passenger side front grille and lights and a new fender. The inner fender liner is there but I can't tell if it needs to be replaced or not. I know you have to sand it down and use heat to remove it. Getting things apart always seems to be much easier than getting them back together though.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

This is the damage.

Guessing the following

Fender $429.99
Fender liner $389.99
Bonding strips $250
Front grille $500 used
Misc other broken stuff $500

Just shy of $2000 if I do everything myself...thoughts? The car isn't even numbers matching. Asking $7000.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by WildVettes
...Guessing the following...Fender $429.99...Fender liner $389.99...Bonding strips $250...Front grille $500 used...Misc other broken stuff $500...thoughts?...
Add the cost of exterior paint to your list. Once you have the fender on, you're going to need paint.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Blackened
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to add on the lower valance and grill. There doesn't appear to be much of either of those two left.
Is the bumper straight and intact?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:09 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Hi WV,
I posted that picture because you hadn't said what part of the fender had been hit. I was guessing!
You started out by saying you weren't all that familiar with a 69 body, but obviously you are familiar.
I deleted my first reply after posting it and now realize I should have stopped right there.
Regards,
Alan
Not really sure what you are upset about but OK. The current owner is extremely grouchy too, just after asking for more photos. I would hope it isn't a trait of classic Corvette owners. I know more about the cars now because I spent last night doing a lot more research. Thank you for the input.

Last edited by WildVettes; 12-26-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Add the cost of exterior paint to your list. Once you have the fender on, you're going to need paint.

Yeah and the rest of the paint isn't perfect so it makes little sense to repaint just that section. Which puts me closer to $5000. The issues don't end there as there are guages out too and everything is worn. I know from having a C4 Corvette that replacing parts can easily outpace the car's value. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Blackened
Don't forget to add on the lower valance and grill. There doesn't appear to be much of either of those two left.
Is the bumper straight and intact?
I was hoping to cover that in the misc category. I have the grill in my estimate. I couldn't find a bumper part with Ecklers. Any idea where I could look for that. I have pulled both my C5s and my C6 apart so I know them inside out. The owner just said it needs a new fender and there was no structural damage. Does that help at all?

C3s I have barely seen from a distance for the most part.

Last edited by WildVettes; 12-26-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Blackened
Advanced

From your second and most recent posts, it sounds like you haven't seen this car in person. Have you seen it yet, or just going by the pics and owner's opinion? Most of the time you will find that their is a great deal more work involved in repairs on older cars as seller's will often understate repairs needed in order to try and sell the car. Their could be a lot more work than just that front fender, bodywise.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Blackened
Advanced

My favorite is when the ad states, "Just needs paint".

"Just needs paint" = lots of bodywork AND paint
Old 12-26-2012, 10:59 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

From your second and most recent posts, it sounds like you haven't seen this car in person. Have you seen it yet, or just going by the pics and owner's opinion? Most of the time you will find that their is a great deal more work involved in repairs on older cars as seller's will often understate repairs needed in order to try and sell the car. Their could be a lot more work than just that front fender, bodywise.
I haven't seen the car in person. I am not sure I would be able to tell much more in person though. I just don't have the experience with these cars.

That is why I am abandoning my 71 Monte Carlo project. The previous owner had installed a trunk liner and "forgot" to tell me the vinyl top had leaked and pretty much destroyed the back half of the roof and window. With Montes the aftermarket sheetmetal availability sucks so it needs a donor car. Too much hassle for a $15, 000 when fully restored car.

I have been looking for a 67-73 muscle car at or below the value of my 02 Vert. I have had precious few metal bumper C3s and this was only a long shot. I could go out and spend $50k on a perfect big block car but I would have to pass on my C7 which I am not going to do.

I am also very familiar with the extremely high cost of replacement parts. My C4 was $1500 for carpet and two door panels on a car worth maybe $9000. With A C3 I have a little more room to play but since it is $800 for a bumper grille I am guessing the part's cost just scales. I am sure I could purchase parts at wholesale which will help but it is still an expensive project.

That is why I come and ask current owners for advice. I certainly would not have thought it was $800 for a grille. I sell full length USA stainless steel grilles for C5s and C6s that TOP at $500. Yet two for a C3 are well over $1000.

You guys know which parts are extremely expensive for your cars which is why I am here. Thank you for those helping me.

Last edited by WildVettes; 12-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:01 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

My favorite is when the ad states, "Just needs paint".

"Just needs paint" = lots of bodywork AND paint
yeah.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:08 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

I offered him $6000. With a $10, 000 buffer to finish the car to decent daily driver status I think I would be OK. I have not heard back so it is probably a no go. I just missed out on a 68 Lemans BB, a 71 Camaro, and a 69 Goat. If this car doesn't work out something will eventually.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:07 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

He said he will take $6300. Should I pull the trigger?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you really dont even need a full fender, and the skirt is probably repairable. Graft in the front of the fender, repair the skirt and then all the little nuts and bolts that are there. The big question is the state of the front bumper, lower valence, and the frame extensions on that side where the bumper mounts. Plus the lower front grill and blinker assembly. That right hand side is pricey. I don't know what makes it more special than the left but there is a price difference. Any better pics from the owner like of the car front on or anything? $6300 would be hard to turn down.

Sully
Old 12-26-2012, 02:32 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Sully1882
you really dont even need a full fender, and the skirt is probably repairable. Graft in the front of the fender, repair the skirt and then all the little nuts and bolts that are there. The big question is the state of the front bumper, lower valence, and the frame extensions on that side where the bumper mounts. Plus the lower front grill and blinker assembly. That right hand side is pricey. I don't know what makes it more special than the left but there is a price difference. Any better pics from the owner like of the car front on or anything? $6300 would be hard to turn down.

Sully
Prett much everything on the passenger side is missing. I am pulling the trigger on this one. Worst case scenario at $6300 I can part the thing out for more. I will pull everything off the front ASAP and then post pics of what I am working with and you guys can help me with the best way to go about fixing it. Thanks for the help. I need to get my 71 Monte and 02 Vert sold ASAP now.

Get notified of new replies

To Body work costs to replace passenger fender question.

Old 12-26-2012, 02:41 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I would skip this one, Sell the Monte and '02, and use the money to buy a car that isn;t a project.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:46 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by qwank
I would skip this one, Sell the Monte and '02, and use the money to buy a car that isn;t a project.
For the money it wouldn't be a C3. The cheapest I found locally over the last month was a 69 350/auto non matching with decent paint and a super worn interior for $17,500. Also found a big block car with original block not installed for $17500 but also a project and although no damage still worn.

I can't get a really good C3 that isn't worn out within a $16,000 budget. I will make sure I check everything on this one before spending money on it to make sure I can stay in budget.

I think I could make this a pretty nice driver for $10000.00. Hopefully anyway.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Not perfect by any stretch but she is definitely home. Starts right up. Shifts as she should. Clutch is tight but good (guessing that is how clutches were 40 years ago).

Looks like a solid starting point. I am guessing an original 4 speed A/C car but she was painted white with a BB hood. Guessing the hood is a replacement because who would replace a Big block with a 79' 350? The tach is 5500 so I know it wasn't an LT1 car.

Still not sure what route I will go with the drivetrain. We will have to see where $$$ is at after getting her into good DD shape.

I have always been a metal bumpers fan.

The damage was caused from hitting a coyote allegedly. The valance and most likely both grilles will need to be replaced. Wheel well actually looks like it may be OK. Front bumper is still good. Doesn't look like any structural damage.

I will get pics up when I get her apart to repair. Far from perfect but for $6300 for a metal bumper C3 I think I did OK.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body work costs to replace passenger fender question.