Sponsored by:

Removing brake booster on a 82?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Removing brake booster on a 82?

Well since my gauge cluster is out I thought about changing out the brake booster. Nothing wrong with it just looks terrible and I already have a new one. How in the world do you get to the bolts? Or even the hardware to release the brake pedal? Everything is in the way, wiring, ect. Is it's because it's an 82 more crap underneath than the earlier years? The steering column looks like it needs to come out for access and I don't want to do that.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Scott's 73
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced my booster on my 73 and is was a pain. I didn't have my dash apart so it was some work. what did help a lot was I removed the 2 bolts holding up the steering column and when it dropped down a bit, I was able to get my 1/4' drive 9/16 swivel socket to remove the bolts. I had to use a long extension.
To remove the pin that attaches the brake pedal to the push rod of the booster, I had to remove my clutch switch for more space. Because of the pain in getting the small screw out that held on the clutch switch, I didn't install it again. I left it off and now it will start without me pushing in the clutch. The installation was easier then the removal.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:22 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Well ok, on my 82 there is the cruise switch and insulation. Can't even see the bolts. I do have the column nuts off and the column only dropped an inch or so and still can't see them. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. There is so much crap down there with all the wiring....
Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Scott's 73
Instructor

Sorry to hear that. I guess what I did won't help you much. I had a lot of crap but it seems like you got even more.. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Scott's 73
Sorry to hear that. I guess what I did won't help you much. I had a lot of crap but it seems like you got even more.. Good luck.
Thank you.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
aussiejohn
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Remove the seat.

alconk,

If you haven't done so already, remove the seat, then you can lie on your back with your feet in the luggage area and you can get to things, even though they're upside down from your perspective. Luckily, living Down Under, we don't have that problem.

Do as Scott suggested re the tools, that's what I did with my '74. Good luck.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aussiejohn
alconk,

If you haven't done so already, remove the seat, then you can lie on your back with your feet in the luggage area and you can get to things, even though they're upside down from your perspective. Luckily, living Down Under, we don't have that problem.

Do as Scott suggested re the tools, that's what I did with my '74. Good luck.

Regards from Down Under.

aussiejohn
Ok I'll try that, that's funny being "down under"
Old 12-30-2012, 09:22 PM
alconk
Melting Slicks

Well after several hours I have the booster loose but not out. I have the four nuts off and the brake pin off but it's still stuck. I must say this is the hardest attempt that I've ever done. I took your advise and removed the seat but at 6'1" 240 lbs i got stuck so bad that thankfully my phone was in my pocket and called my wife in the house to come rescue me. What I ended up doing is removing two thick steel brackets above the steering column and go in that way. This would be a much simpler job if it was not a 82, there are several thick wiring harness that is in the way. Plus when I moved the master cylinder out of the way it was wet going into the booster so I think it needs a new master as well. Mann what a pain in the rump, just so I can have a nice shiny booster. The things we do for our cars
Old 12-30-2012, 10:37 PM
Scott's 73
Instructor

I'm glad to see you haven't given up!!! make sure you do replace the master Cyl if it shows signs of leaking. That will soften the rubber diaphragm in no time flat and then you will find yourself doing this all again.

I find having a glass of wine with every painful encounter helps the job go easier.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:36 AM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Top left nut was the most difficult. Used a deep socket, double wobble with duck tape to stiffen....extensions to suit. Muddy
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 AM
alconk
Melting Slicks

I don't think it would have been as bad if you didn't have all the harnesses coming from the computer to the engine compartment. Not enough room the way it is then they pack all that crap in.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing brake booster on a 82?

Quick Reply: Removing brake booster on a 82?