Sponsored by:

Well now there is rear damage too...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:34 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Well now there is rear damage too...

I went to start the C3 today in reverse which I always do in my C5s and C6s. Lesson learned is that is not a good idea. I always disregarded that info because I have been doing it for years in newer cars without issue. Never again. Oh well, long story short I can't tell if the bumpers are bent although I was probably going to replace them anyway. The driver's side got a couple of fine spider cracks and some of the white paint chipped off exposing the factory green. Doesn't seem like a big deal. The passenger side completely ripped the bumper bolt out around the bumper groove. So there is about a 2 inch by 1 inch hole where the bumper hole used to be.

Repairable or do I need a rear fender now too?

What a morning. I am going to check with Statefarm in the morning. The car has only been here a few days but I have insurance for accidents. I pay them almost $1000 a month and haven't had a chargeable accident in 12 years. Hopefully the don't try to raise rates or total the car over something stupid.

Live and learn. This was a good car to learn that lesson in since it wasn't too cherry to begin with. I would have been pretty upset to do that in a C3 I paid $30,000+ for.

Last edited by WildVettes; 12-30-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:40 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,326 Likes on 2,774 Posts

$1k a month!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:47 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
$1k a month!
7 cars, 1 boat, 3 motorcycles, 2 homeowners policies, 2 life insurance policies, a personal articles policy, and a 2 million liability umbrella. We want to pay less but quotes we have received have been even higher

Last edited by WildVettes; 12-30-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:11 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Thats what it goes for in Cali, NY and other metro areas. This ain't Kansas Toto.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

You didn't push in the clutch?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:01 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by paul 74
Of course I did. The only thing I can come up with is I didn't push it far enough in. The clutch and ebrake were both in use. Obviously my fault any way you cut it.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:01 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by paul 74
He shouldn't have been able to start it without pushing in the clutch. Sounds like Bubba may have bypassed the safety switch?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:08 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by WildVettes
Repairable or do I need a rear fender now too?
That is EXACTLY what I said yesterday too! For me, I pull my daily driver onto the street so I can take my Vette for a drive. I parked the Vette on the street behind this car for about 10 minutes to make an adjustment then went for a ride. Right after I got back, this happened.

I can't even conjure the thought of the emotions I would feel if this had happened to my Corvette.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by johnt365
That is EXACTLY what I said yesterday too! For me, I pull my daily driver onto the street so I can take my Vette for a drive. I parked the Vette on the street behind this car for about 10 minutes to make an adjustment then went for a ride. Right after I got back, this happened.

I can't even conjure the thought of the emotions I would feel if this had happened to my Corvette.
Well in my case I just sat there in awe at doing something so stupid. Then I got the courage to check the damage. I thought it would be much worse. If it wasn't for the fact that the stupid bumper is mounted straight to fiberglass it would have been fine. There should have been another metal bracket attachment point on that side like there is for the two rear mounting points. I am sure this type of damage was VERY common.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Eric Voigt
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Well in my case I just sat there in awe at doing something so stupid. Then I got the courage to check the damage. I thought it would be much worse. If it wasn't for the fact that the stupid bumper is mounted straight to fiberglass it would have been fine. There should have been another metal bracket attachment point on that side like there is for the two rear mounting points. I am sure this type of damage was VERY common.
As Bulushi said in "Animal House....hey,you screwed up, time to start drinking".

Dude, you're having a bad day, I feel for you. We've all done stupid things. The car can be fixed. Be thankful the kids we not back there.....
Old 12-30-2012, 05:59 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

That is very very true.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:00 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Eric Voigt
As Bulushi said in "Animal House....hey,you screwed up, time to start drinking".

Dude, you're having a bad day, I feel for you. We've all done stupid things. The car can be fixed. Be thankful the kids we not back there.....
True story.

On an upside she fires right up
Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 PM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Hello all,

I posted photos of the damage.

Can you give me a list of supplies and tools I am going to need for repairs to my car? Anywhere I can start for help on the process for each repair? Thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,314 Posts

The damage I see is pretty typical of what is found on a lot of 68-73 rear ends, as well as 63-67 Corvettes. A lot of those cars have been bumped over the years, resulting in similar damage.

It doesn't appear bad to me. I wouldn't replace the fender, as you should be able to repair it with resin and mat. If it really bothers you, I'm sure that one of the vendors who deal in used parts, could supply you with that section of the quarter panel.

You may want to check the bumper brackets, to make sure they're not bent. I doubt they are, it doesn't look like that hard of a hit, but it's still worth checking them.

If your buying new bumpers, do it before you paint the car. You really want to fit them to the body as your repairing it. They can vary a little, and it's a lot better to find that out, before there's paint on the car!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Not to add insult to injury, but why would you place or leave the transmission in any gear to start the engine- that's an accident waiting to happen.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:41 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Not to add insult to injury, but why would you place or leave the transmission in any gear to start the engine- that's an accident waiting to happen.
Because I have been doing it for my entire life without issue in six different cars including my three other Corvettes that I have had for ten years. My other Corvettes wouldn't have done this even if I had popped the clutch in gear because the ebrakes are strong enough to hold the car from moving at idle. The ebrake on this car didn't do anything, but like I said earlier live and learn.

I wasn't even alive in 1971 and the oldest Corvette I have owned prior to this one is a 1991 that was an auto. I also have a 71 Monte but it is also an auto.

I am not saying I wasn't taught the proper way to start a manual, I am just saying it has never been an issue before because the newer vehicles are pretty idiot proof.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:47 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by gbvette62
The damage I see is pretty typical of what is found on a lot of 68-73 rear ends, as well as 63-67 Corvettes. A lot of those cars have been bumped over the years, resulting in similar damage.

It doesn't appear bad to me. I wouldn't replace the fender, as you should be able to repair it with resin and mat. If it really bothers you, I'm sure that one of the vendors who deal in used parts, could supply you with that section of the quarter panel.

You may want to check the bumper brackets, to make sure they're not bent. I doubt they are, it doesn't look like that hard of a hit, but it's still worth checking them.

If your buying new bumpers, do it before you paint the car. You really want to fit them to the body as your repairing it. They can vary a little, and it's a lot better to find that out, before there's paint on the car!
Thank you for the advice. I will try repairing with resin and mat first and if I can't get favorable results I will graft in a new section. Any recommendations on resin brands and tools I will need?

Get notified of new replies

To Well now there is rear damage too...

Old 12-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I am not saying I wasn't taught the proper way to start a manual, I am just saying it has never been an issue before because the newer vehicles are pretty idiot proof.
I'd go as far as saying you were not taught the proper (safe) way of starting a car with a manual transmission. Hoping that the parking brake is engaged and that it will hold the car is a bad idea.

Sooner or later your foot will slip off the clutch.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:03 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
I'd go as far as saying you were not taught the proper (safe) way of starting a car with a manual transmission. Hoping that the parking brake is engaged and that it will hold the car is a bad idea.

Sooner or later your foot will slip off the clutch.
Car in neutral, foot on the brake, clutch on the floor, start.

I also know speeding is wrong, but sometimes I find myself doing it. I am sure we all do things the wrong way from time to time because we have never had issue with it. Doesn't make it right. I usually always have my right foot all the way on the brake, so I'm not too sure what happened there, but it is what it is. The lesson to be learned is you need to pay attention "every" time you start a car. Thankfully this only resulted in property damage and not injury to someone.

Last edited by WildVettes; 12-31-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:22 AM
0WildVettes
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '12

The bumper looks slightly bent at one of the mounts. I will probably straighten it and re-chrome them. I can get them re-chromed for $300.

Last edited by WildVettes; 12-31-2012 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Well now there is rear damage too...