Sponsored by:

Clanking Noise in Rear

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 PM
stmay
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clanking Noise in Rear

I hear a clanking sound when I pull out and make a right turn. If I go very slow no noise, but under normal acceleration I hear a series of clanks. Doesn't happen going straight, making a left hand turn, or at speed....just from a stop.

It is a 71 350 4-speed. I'm thinking a bad U-joint but there is no vibration or signs of a broken one.

I'm new to the SC area and don't have a trusted mechanic yet, so I am hoping to get some idea of what it could be so I don't end up doing a lot of uncalled for repairs.

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:59 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

That's what mine sounded like as is started to go. Had a new one installed and it broke within 6 months no warning or noises, replaced free on warranty by my mechanic.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:33 PM
stmay
Cruising

Was it the half shaft u joints or the driveshafts? Thx.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds are tough to diagnose on the Internet! What noise is it similar to?

I would think a bad u-joint would make noise all the time; anytime I hear "slow speed turn" I'm thinking differential, either posi clutches (usually not bad) or spider gears (expensive unless you can do it yourself). When you or your mechanic inspects the u-joints, get the rear tires off the ground and spin the wheels, listening for any noise from the diff gears. Pull the diff drain plug and make sure there is fluid up to or near the level of the hole. If the diff looks like the plug hasn't been removed in years, or if the fluid level is low, I would encourage you to pump out the old fluid and put in fresh gear oil and posi additive. If your u-joints pass inspection and new gear oil doesn't help, it's probably time to drop the diff and open it up...
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

ujoint on driver's side, I put it up on jack's so I could hear any noises at each rear wheel.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:21 PM
stmay
Cruising

Sounds like two pipes banging together. Rather loud but nothing to feel. This just started about 2 months ago but i dont drive it much. Have 90k miles on car. I checked u joints for play and they felt tight but that was with the car off the ground and the wheels hanging.

I will check the diff fluid level. Good idea.
Old 12-31-2012, 01:11 PM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

Had the same noise, easy fix. Drain the rearend fluid add new fluid and the posi additive go to a aprking lot and do some figure 8's all fixxed
Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 PM
stmay
Cruising

Thanks...that would be a great fix.

Get notified of new replies

To Clanking Noise in Rear

Quick Reply: Clanking Noise in Rear