C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Body off resto in a single bay garage – can it be done?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:11 PM
racerx1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Body off resto in a single bay garage – can it be done?

I’m about to embark on a restoration of my recently acquired, one owner ’74 coupe (a L-82, 4-speed with only 36k miles). Unfortunately, the car spent its limited use life in an unheated garage, in the Northeast, which resulted in surface rust, dry rotted rubber, etc.

The garage at my house is not conducive to a long-term project, so I’m using one of the bays in my sister in-laws garage. It’s an average size, unheated, concrete block wall, detached garage with a loft (the access to the loft area is on the side that my sister in law uses). The ceiling height is 8’ and the bay is about 11’ wide and 26’ deep. I really don’t want to store the body outside as I’m working on the frame (also, my sister in-law is not really warm on the idea of having a covered body sitting in front of the garage). I remember coming across one or two project threads with pics of guys hanging the body from the ceiling above as they worked on the frame below. The garage is structurally strong, so I’m not really worried about it supporting the load for a lift and I’d also install support posts below, once the body is up. Has anyone gone this route?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:47 PM
bobwoodkat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I first started my 66 in a 18 X 18 (324 sq feet) I didn't think I would have enough room. With organization and planning it turns out I have plenty of room. I try to only have parts I am working on in the floor area and the rest get put into storage elsewhere until it is needed. The sq foot difference between my space and yours is only 38 sq feet (basically 3 X 3 area). One thing I would think about is the hanging of the body. If you do that it pretty much locks you in where you can work comfortably. I would think about building a body dolly keeping the body high enough that it can be pushed in and out of the garage and high enough to slide in over the frame. Good luck on your project!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

i did a frame off with the body supported by a wooden stand holding the body about 4 feet off the floor. i had 2x10s running length-wise under the flor pan with spacers for the battery, jack stowage areas and the front clip. the ends of the 2x10s were supported by crossmembers that cleared the wheels, so i could roll the car forward to pull the motor. bumped my head a few times, but otherwise it wasn't a problem. the biggest problem is storage of all the parts that are removed from the car. it doesn't leave much room to work.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Check my main resto thread, complete rebuild in shoebox-sized garage.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:05 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Denpo
I can certify the shoebox size-
Old 01-01-2013, 06:16 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Denpo
I was about to say, ask denpo, he would know
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
I did my restoration in a 1 car sized garage using a 4' high dolly, (like jnb), to support the body for 5 years while I restored the chassis and running gear.
One good thing is to have another area to store unrestored and restored parts in until you can start re-assembly.
Can be done if you want to really do it!
Regards,
Alan

Old 01-01-2013, 07:30 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I did it. I had a place to store my parts. I also made a dolly for the frame so I could roll it under the body when I wasn't working on it. Just takes some planning.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 PM
racerx1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the idea of a rolling dolly that's high enough to clear the frame and would also allow me do a little work under it. What I like about the high dolly idea is that I can hoist the body off the frame using the 5' x 5' loft area access hole on my sister in-laws side of the garage. I can then build a gantry above the loft access opening that would allow me to use a chain block to lift the body off, drop it on a high dolly and then roll the frame and body over to my side. The loft area can also be used for parts storage.

Last edited by racerx1; 01-01-2013 at 08:32 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Body off resto in a single bay garage – can it be done?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Body off resto in a single bay garage – can it be done?