Sponsored by:

Question re: bumpers for 68-72 frame and 73 frame

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:41 AM
Gixster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question re: bumpers for 68-72 frame and 73 frame

I've been C3 shopping and I'm noticing a trend.

There are alot of 68-72's out there that have 73+ front ends on them.

Part of the allure for me wanting a 68-72 IS the fact that they are the chrome bumpers cars.

I've been looking here and all over the net. I've determined that the 68-72 has a u-shaped bracket in the center of the frame that juts out and the chrome bumper mounts to that. On the 73, looks like it mounts to brackets that come off the frame horns on either side with the cover over that.

Not being familiar with what all is required for the retrofit under the clip, is it possible to yank the '73 stuff, install the correct clip and bumper bracket, and be back to an appropriate 68-72 front end, or is there more involved that makes it not so simple?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:04 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Gixster
...Not being familiar with what all is required for the retrofit under the clip, is it possible to yank the '73 stuff, install the correct clip and bumper bracket, and be back to an appropriate 68-72 front end...
Yes. The assembly instruction manual (AIM) shows how to do it.

...or is there more involved that makes it not so simple?...
It's not quite as simple as it sounds, but doable and is probably going to be expensive.

My advice would be to keep looking until you find a stock 68-72.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Gixster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I know the front clip swap is a fair bit of work. I've researched that. I haven't done it before, but I am mechanically inclined and feel that it is something I can tackle myself.

I guess what I'm *really* trying to figure out is if in the process of retrofitting a 73+ front clip on, if the original 68-72 bumper attachments would have been destroyed or removed in some way that would preclude going back to a correct front clip and bumper assembly.

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

The frame stops at the front sway bar mounts. Everything in front of that is bolted on.

The swap is not beyond a DIYers level, but you will spend about $5,000 to $10,000 on new and used parts to convert it back to stock. And the parts you take off will not be worth much, really.

Mike's advice is good. Find a 68-72 that is complete and you are that much further ahead.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:47 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There are many posts about this if you do a search. Most of them will tell you that all is posible, however, as Curby has stated, it will be very expensive to do, and as mike also says, you might be better off finding a 68-72, and have what you want, they are out there.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:04 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have not noticed that "a lot" of chrome bumper cars were trying to be rubber bumper cars,but I definately agree with everyone.Find the car with the proper front end and you will be miles ahead.

Get notified of new replies

To Question re: bumpers for 68-72 frame and 73 frame

Quick Reply: Question re: bumpers for 68-72 frame and 73 frame