Sponsored by:

Might be getting this 72 Stingray

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:50 AM
jcm707
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Might be getting this 72 Stingray

Hey guys i might be getting this 1972 Stingray pretty soon and need some help, im wondering how much this would be worth considering its a 72, but i dont have all the details of the car yet as im going to see it sometime next week. All i really know is that its a 1972 with a rebuilt engine. Im hoping to sell or trade it if i do get it also so would love to know what price it can get.
Thanks guys!

Heres a link to the few pictures i have now, ill upload some more when i see it along with all the details.
http://s989.photobucket.com/user/jcm...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by jcm707; 12-05-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:06 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum. We are gonna have to wait for more pics and details to even give a rough estimate. There is not enough to come close to coming up with value yet. Is this your first corvette purchase?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:13 AM
jcm707
5th Gear

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Hello and welcome to the forum. We are gonna have to wait for more pics and details to even give a rough esrimate. There is not enough to come close to coming up with value yet. Is this your first corvette purchase?
Thanks theblackvette! Ok was just kinda wondering what they go for before i do this deal.
I might be trading my 04 mustang for it, a friend of my gfs brother just got his license and his grandparents have this car and are giving it to him but he doesn't want to be driving an "old car" so i told him id trade my mustang for it and he wants to haha. I mostly wanted to do this so i can sell or trade it since ive really been wanting a nissan 350z but well see what happens.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:00 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jcm707
Thanks theblackvette! Ok was just kinda wondering what they go for before i do this deal.
I might be trading my 04 mustang for it, a friend of my gfs brother just got his license and his grandparents have this car and are giving it to him but he doesn't want to be driving an "old car" so i told him id trade my mustang for it and he wants to haha. I mostly wanted to do this so i can sell or trade it since ive really been wanting a nissan 350z but well see what happens.
Okay well we need to hit the brakes on this one hard!!! Oh before I continue this thread WILL be moved to the c3 General section by the forum moderator when he sees it. This section is actually a classifieds section for cars for sale. No worries you can still post here until it gets moved. Ok this is your first vette. C3s can be an actual dream or a total disaster. From the info we have so far this can can be worth $1500 to $45K we just don't know. We need detailed pics of the interior, motor, trim tag, stamp pad, vin pillar, frame to check for rust, and to find out if this is the original motor, tranny, rear end aka numbers matching. I'm trying to make it simple but it gets very complicated. How the car runs is another thing to consider as well as condition. I know that these are people you know personally but they may not know exactly what they have and you could end up with the short end of the stick. Lets slow it up and get all the necessary info. Many of us enjoy helping others.

Last edited by theblackvette; 12-05-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:38 AM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Hello and welcome to the forum. We are gonna have to wait for more pics and details to even give a rough estimate. There is not enough to come close to coming up with value yet. Is this your first corvette purchase?
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...I might be trading my 04 mustang for it...
What do you feel is a fair value for your Mustang? Do you feel the 72 you're looking at is worth your Mustang?

Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 AM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

don't forget sales tax and licensing fees on a multiple car deal!
Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

In my neck of the woods, a middle-of-the-road 04 Mustang GT runs between $5K and $7K depending on a bunch of stuff. A decent 72 Corvette is probably a fair trade if it runs and drives and the frame is solid. Beware though that a 72 Corvette is original condition could easily need a bunch of expensive and aggravating work to get it streetable and dependable again. That car, judging from the pictures, is a well-worn street car. If you don't need to drive it daily and you have fairly deep pockets then go for it.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

For whatever reason (mod or wreck) the emblem on the front of the car is incorrect for a 72.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:24 PM
RobbyH
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As others had said, it isn't just the value of the car you have to consider. The maintenace on the Corvette will most likely be much more than the Mustang if for no other thing, because of age. I recently bought an 1981 Corvette that was supposedly in fantastic condition. Only after driving it a couple of months did the uglies come out. I have sunk an additional $8500 in that car in the past month.

Just be ready to spend money if you buy the Vette. BTW, I bought my daughter a 350Z for her 16th birthday and it has never given us any problem in the four years of ownership so you might be better to save for that car.

Robby
Old 12-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,
People seem to have missed that jcm is going to sell or trade this car if he gets it.
Does that affect what he should pay for it?
If it needs work, and the next buyer realizes it, and jvm needs to put $ into it to sell/trade it, he could be upside down in this car in a hurry.
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi,
People seem to have missed that jcm is going to sell or trade this car if he gets it.
Does that affect what he should pay for it?
If it needs work, and the next buyer realizes it, and jvm needs to put $ into it to sell/trade it, he could be upside down in this car in a hurry.
Regards,
Alan
So true. Buyer and seller beware.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:09 PM
jcm707
5th Gear

My mustang can sell for $6K i beleive. Yeah the main reason i wanted to trade was to then sell it after because i beleive its worth 10k. My sisters husband works at a chevrolet dealership as a mechanic and works on alot of old cars/projects at their home so id be taking it to him before actually trading to make sure everythings good with it reffering to the engine, transmission and the body of the car. I have no experience with cars besides sound systems haha. Hopefully its worth more so i can sell it. But as of right now it drives and everything they just put a new engine in it also awhile ago. One thing they said is that the lights dont work they wont lift up from the body
Old 12-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Scott's 73
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My mustang can sell for $6K i beleive. Yeah the main reason i wanted to trade was to then sell it after because i beleive its worth 10k. My sisters husband works at a chevrolet dealership as a mechanic and works on alot of old cars/projects at their home so id be taking it to him before actually trading to make sure everythings good with it reffering to the engine, transmission and the body of the car. I have no experience with cars besides sound systems haha. Hopefully its worth more so i can sell it. But as of right now it drives and everything they just put a new engine in it also awhile ago. One thing they said is that the lights dont work they wont lift up from the body

Yes, Vacuum issues or worse yet, rusted parts. Just one of the many surprises that an older car can raise. Defiantly have your bud look into it and take his advise.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 AM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

a friend of my gfs brother just got his license and his grandparents have this car and are giving it to him but he doesn't want to be driving an "old car" so i told him id trade my mustang for it and he wants to .
Unbelievable. If I gave my corvette to my grandson and he traded it away I would be PI$$ED.

If I was them and heard what he was going to do, I would NOT be giving it to him.

He better have a long talk with his grandparents BEFORE he trades away a gift like this. They probably think they are giving him an incredible present, something they have been holding on to for years, and he is treating it like garbage. This could do some serious relationship damage.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:45 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 74Ken
Unbelievable. If I gave my corvette to my grandson and he traded it away I would be PI$$ED.

If I was them and heard what he was going to do, I would NOT be giving it to him.

He better have a long talk with his grandparents BEFORE he trades away a gift like this. They probably think they are giving him an incredible present, something they have been holding on to for years, and he is treating it like garbage. This could do some serious relationship damage.

Just my 2 cents.
Wow, I never even thought about it this way. Ken's two cents may be worth a million bucks.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:55 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

'04 Mustang- currently owned
'72 Corvette-tool to achieve want you really want, a Nissan 350Z

I don't get it, just like you don't get/have an appreciation of a true classic car, that will only increase in value, vs the other two, which are plentiful, and fast depreciating.
I can only hope that the '72 Vette eventually falls into the hands of someone who appreciates it.
My condolences to the grandparents.

Get notified of new replies

To Might be getting this 72 Stingray

Old 12-06-2013, 09:01 AM
keithinspace
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 90 Posts

As a parent, I agree with Mr. 74Ken, Mr. Tokim, and Mr. TheBlackVette. This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

AT BEST, this could be a story of traded cars to no particular advantage to anyone. I only hope the Corvette ends up with someone that appreciates this little sliver of history.

AT WORST, it could (and should) **** the heck out of the Grandparents and make Mr. I-don't-like-old-cars look like a royal juvenile idiot. I know what they look like because I have done some things in my past that I KNOW qualify for the award.

For certain, this will be one of those storys that Mr. Royal Juvenile Idiot will tell his kids when he turns 42..."My grandparents gave me their 1972 Corvette and I traded it away for some random Mustang and a package of hot dogs. No, there weren't any buns. Yes, I did eat them. Cold. Didn't know how to cook them...my Mom always did that. Yes, I know they are hot dogs and easy to cook. Man...it was red, too. Wish I had kept that car."

Or something like that.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 262 Likes on 209 Posts

a friend of my gfs brother just got his license and his grandparents have this car and are giving it to him but he doesn't want to be driving an "old car" so i told him id trade my mustang for it and he wants to haha. I mostly wanted to do this so i can sell or trade it since ive really been wanting a nissan 350z but well see what happens.
so the grandparents give an old corvette that looks well used to a kid with a fresh license (16 years old?).. you know what the insurance cost for that car will be for a 16 year old?, does he know how to work on it without spending every dime he makes on it..

I think the grandparents are nuts and the kid is ok with a couple of grand bath on it just to get rid of it.

looks like a win-win..

don't think that trading and swapping a few times to get the car you really want is going to be profitable.. you will have transaction costs , sales tax, title transfer fees, getting the car in sellable condition costs, insurance for the interim, selling costs...

all of this is going to eat up your margin.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:21 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by keithinspace
make Mr. I-don't-like-old-cars look like a royal juvenile idiot. I know what they look like because I have done some things in my past that I KNOW qualify for the award.
Wow! EVERY time I get behind of my new (old car) I never even thought about it being an "old car" but rather a special car that has a lot of history with me on a personal basis.

I totally connect with this car and it totally speaks to me every time I drive it.

Seeing how others look at in on the road and comment on how wonderful the car is simply a huge bonus.

I totally could have bought a brand new 2014 corvette if I so desired. But I didn't want a NEW car. I wanted this "old" 1971 corvette that I have been looking for over 14 years. I do not regret my decision one bit on purchasing it. The wait was well worth it.

I think Ken's comment definitely demands serious consideration.

Good luck on whatever you do but I don't think much help will be achieved here based on the circumstances of this purchase.

I totally missed what Ken brought up from the beginning and thank you for bringing it to our attention, Ken.

Quick Reply: Might be getting this 72 Stingray