Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio cutting out after battery disconnect

Old 08-20-2013, 05:42 PM
BLDun
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Radio cutting out after battery disconnect

I disconnected the battery to do some repair work on the engine - had to replace a motor mount so I removed the alternator. After hooking everything back up it all works fine except for the stereo. While driving it will just quit and then a few seconds later it will come back on. It is a new aftermarket Sony system and never had any trouble until I did the disconnect. Any ideas?
Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Try retightening the battery cable terminals. Several years ago my radio started cutting in and out random. I figured out the problem when, after parking the car it wouldn't start...nothing. One terminal had become loose...tightened it and no more problem.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 PM
BLDun
Racer

I'll give it a shot and see!!
Old 08-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Scottd
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BLDun
I disconnected the battery to do some repair work on the engine - had to replace a motor mount so I removed the alternator. After hooking everything back up it all works fine except for the stereo. While driving it will just quit and then a few seconds later it will come back on. It is a new aftermarket Sony system and never had any trouble until I did the disconnect. Any ideas?
I have the EXACT problem with a Kenwood unit. Im running a moderate sound system so I upgraded the alternator (from 42 to 105 amps) and it cleared up the problem 90%, but it still occasionally just stops and resumes again in about 5 seconds. (before the alternator upgrade, it would cut out every 3 minutes or so for a good 30 seconds)
Old 08-20-2013, 06:42 PM
BLDun
Racer

That's what mine does. perplexing thing is it worked flawlessly before I removed the alternator and disconnected the battery. I did notice that I have the adjustment on the alternator out as far as it will go. Wonder if I need a smaller belt and make it a little tighter?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

My radio would cut out, but only when my electric fans kicked on. There'd be just low enough voltage to kick the radio off. I added a larger gauge charge wire and this solved a number of problems I had with the car.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 PM
BLDun
Racer

Just went and checked all my connections and they seem to be OK. However I just found that my back speaker cluster - two 6" and a single bass - quit working all together. The amp is also located in the same box in the back. I'll have to pull it out and check fuses, etc. to see.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:29 AM
BLDun
Racer

Update: Still haven't found the cause. Everything in the back seems or b hooked up and working OK although I can't get near the volume from the back I used to get. The amp checks out OK all wires tight and light on amp registers OK (green). I tried to tighten the belt on the alternator but have no room left. Got a shorter belt and found there is not enough room to move the alternator to put it on before it hits the valve cover. I think the alternator is stock so could b I need a larger one

The cut out is intermittent Sometimes it will play for an hour. Sometimes five minutes. Stays off for about 5-30 seconds then comes back on. Sometimes it goes out when u hit a bump and sometimes just when driving along. Sometimes while sitting at a stoplight

Get notified of new replies

To Radio cutting out after battery disconnect

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Radio cutting out after battery disconnect