C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Cattiva73
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
If you get hit in the rear end, you're not going fast enough.
LOL
Old 02-09-2013, 10:15 PM
ctgene
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by Raphiki
Could have done this:

That is just ugly!
Old 02-10-2013, 01:36 AM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I would say that is simply your opinion, unless you are an engineer who designed the C3 vette. Everyone can have an opinion, but I hardly think you are correct on this one. Secondly, if it was not located there, where else would you put a spare tire on a C3 Corvette.
Well, I'm not an "Engineer who worked on the C3 vette", and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I have spent my life assembling, repairing, and doing engineering work on supersonic aircraft, so I'm probably not quite as idiotic as you seem to think I am.

Simply put, the back of a C3 is as much or more of a bomb as an early Ford Pinto could ever have hoped to be, and locating the spare right below the tank and directly behind the differential happened to be a pretty covenient way of a) finding a place to put it and b) giving that over-exposed fuel tank SOME protection.

Is it my opinion? OF COURSE. Some opinions have more basis in the obvious than others though. Do this little bit of research...look at virtually EVERY other American production car of the same period and see where the gas tank was placed...way down low, in back, suspended UNDER the frame. You could do that with a reasonable degree of safety in THOSE cars (Impalas, Chevelles, Galaxies, big Cadillacs, and the like) because there was a ton of space between the rear bumper and where the occupants sat, and the bumpers and frames were substantial enough to provide some protection for the tank. Not so in a C3. It's a sports car, and that presents certain packaging challenges.

So I'll stand by my humble opinion (and no Mike, I'm not gonna spend the next three weeks arguing about it with you) and leave it at that.
Peace, love, and good night all...
Old 02-10-2013, 02:24 AM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cattiva73
I don't care for the tire I have rode side assistance..nor for the perfect look but I'd like to make the vehicle as safe as possible.

If safer ...what's going to take to install/add a spare tire?
Can I install the tire with only the Y bracket without the actual upper/lower carriers?..those things are expensive!

Thank you guys
Cheers
Mine is out - I don't see how something that heavy, mounted so flimsy can add protection. Might as well duct tape my wife's vacuum cleaner in there for protection... But I'm a lot more concerned about side impact due to the doors being so close (and designed so long ago)
Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 AM
Raphiki
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18
NCM Sinkhole Donor

These cars were never meant to be hit from any angle or taken apart and reassembled. GM wanted people to buy them, drive them for a couple years then throw them away and buy another.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:31 AM
billcarson
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

"all dis crazy talk she maka me nervous".
Old 02-10-2013, 11:17 AM
PaPaPork
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ctgene
that is just ugly!
kill it before it lays eggs !!
Old 02-10-2013, 12:05 PM
TEXASDESERTVETTE
Racer

I would think, that the metal carrier with out the tub would work out O.K. for you...And if your 'Vette is only driven on city streets, then one could do with out a spare tire assembly. However, being safety is one of your hot-buttons...out on the open road, a spare tire and tools would be required...And you will most likely have better control of the car at speed, due to the fact that the wind has to go around the tire tub assembly... instead of flowing into a hole ...that lifts up the rear of the car...For myself, I consider it a functional component of the car...
Old 02-10-2013, 07:31 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Cattiva73, I would use a spare tire carrier. First for the convenience, and second for the protection. Plus it keeps everything in back, wiring and gas tank, from getting dirty and wet while driving. I agree with birdsmith. Obviously you guys (and gals) have never seen the C-4 rear frame extension. My company made them. They are about 37 pounds of aluminum. The die makers told me that they were originally only about 18 pounds until they smacked them for the goverment rear end test. Then they had to make additional dies for all of the new reinforcement brackets. Anyway, there are two 12" long steel carriage bolts in the back, isolated by plastic from the bare aluminum. I was told that they are there to keep the pieces together long enough to pass the rear impact test.

Quick Reply: Hallo it's me again...QUESTION for all of you C3 owners.