69 drivers dash-electrical install

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Richlt5
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 69 drivers dash-electrical install

Hello
wanting to know if some one has knowledge on how the original dash harness was implemented with drivers side dash pad installed from factory!
I have had to rebuild the lower windshield frame corners which meant that I had to relocate the captured nuts that hold the bracketry for the pedal ***. & the steering column.. when mocking up the dash pad I noticed the there appeared to be clearance issues for the harness and that was standing on my head with no pedals or steering column. my assembly manual show block diagrams but no sequences.
Just wanting to know from some that might have been down that road before..I could drop steering column & connect dash compoenents then mount the dash not really knowing whats fitting.. OR I could mount the dash go under make all the connections then mount the pedals and steering column while I am standing on my head upside down.. if it is possable. Any feedback will be appreicated.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi R5,
The pedal assembly should be in place.
I believe in 69 the dash harness main line ran below the speedo, over the steering column, and below the tach.
I believe the way to install it is to have the steering column loose and drooped a couple of inches (but supported) and the dash pad loosely in place. You can then work on connecting the tack and speedo drive cables, the vacuum hoses and all the lighting connections.
You keep pushing the pad up and forward as you make the connections until all the connections are made and the pad is down and back by only about 1 inch.
You then push the pad into place.
That's the way I do it.
Here's a picture with the pad about ready to be pushed into place. It's a 71 so the harness is ABOVE the speedo and tach.
Not easy but doable with care.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 12-30-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Richlt5
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Alan 71

Just wanted to say I appreciate the response, and wanted you to know how clean that I think "RED" is.
Still learning to navigate this forum, and I found this post and wanted to ask, I am running my vacuum lines on my 69 (L-36) and wanted to know if you had any close ups of the firewall vac.hoses.
on some 69's the vac.relay for the wiper door is located on the firewall, my is located on the pass. side wheel well.
I have talked to some other members Faster Rat for one and he's been very helpful, but having a 69, his vacuum relay is mounted on the firewall. I know that you have a 71 but noticed the way your vac.hoses were ran and I thought "man" that is awsome ! any pics or info would be greatly appreciated Mark(richlt5)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Rich: the 69 assembly instruction manual (AIM) would be a big help to you getting you car back together. L36 vac hose routing is essentially the same as small block cars. The main dash harness routes under the speedo and tach.

Get notified of new replies

To 69 drivers dash-electrical install

Quick Reply: 69 drivers dash-electrical install