Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Look what I drove to work for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 02:12 PM
80Baby
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even though this thread started off as "driving my Vette to work", I'm really interested to hear about the cooling issues. I'll be installing my drivetrain later this summer and I plan on using twin electric fans. First time I've heard about cooling problems with this set-up. Keep us updated. By the way, the Vette looks "keeners". Wish I could drive my car to work, but with Collectors plates, I can't. Can only "cruise" with it.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 80Baby
Even though this thread started off as "driving my Vette to work", I'm really interested to hear about the cooling issues. I'll be installing my drivetrain later this summer and I plan on using twin electric fans. First time I've heard about cooling problems with this set-up. Keep us updated. By the way, the Vette looks "keeners". Wish I could drive my car to work, but with Collectors plates, I can't. Can only "cruise" with it.
Yeah it did start out as look what I drove to work, but that's ok I still drove it to work today too

I really think it is an airflow issue and am hoping that by modifying the air dam it will do the trick. I do have all the foam around the radiator, which help a little, but then it's not in the 100's yet either!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:28 PM
ironwills76corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just wondering if the fans can keep up with the amount of air flow they are dealing with at highers speeds. I do get what you are saying as far as having the shroud a distance away from the rad. If you have full flow (no shroud) through the radiator at higher speeds I'm not sure the fans would even be necessary. Of course lower speeds you would need them. If the shroud was easy to remove you could pull it for the drive home as a test. I could be way off, just trying to brain storm. Cooling is a huge issue on the V8 Vega's so I've studied it quite a bit.

You've spent some serious time on the islands. Ive never been there, but like most people would Love to go sometime.....
Old 02-15-2013, 02:31 PM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

[QUOTE=AirborneSilva;1583130627] having said that I had though about cutting holes, or slits, in the shroud to allow air to flow through at high speed, just don't know how that will effect it at the lower speeds.

On some of the high dollar e-fan shrouds, there are 8 rectangle holes in there, with soft rubber flaps. They allow more air to pass thru at highway speeds, and I assume suck shut when the fans come on and start pulling air thru the rad at slower speeds.
You may be on the right track.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:36 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ironwills76corvette
I'm just wondering if the fans can keep up with the amount of air flow they are dealing with at highers speeds. I do get what you are saying as far as having the shroud a distance away from the rad. If you have full flow (no shroud) through the radiator at higher speeds I'm not sure the fans would even be necessary. Of course lower speeds you would need them. If the shroud was easy to remove you could pull it for the drive home as a test. I could be way off, just trying to brain storm. Cooling is a huge issue on the V8 Vega's so I've studied it quite a bit.

You've spent some serious time on the islands. Ive never been there, but like most people would Love to go sometime.....
The fans are connected to the shroud so it would be a big production to not only pull the shroud but also reinstall the fans on radiator.

Did lots of SCUBA diving in Kona, great place to live for sure!
Old 02-15-2013, 02:37 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=c69vete;1583130812]
Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
having said that I had though about cutting holes, or slits, in the shroud to allow air to flow through at high speed, just don't know how that will effect it at the lower speeds.

On some of the high dollar e-fan shrouds, there are 8 rectangle holes in there, with soft rubber flaps. They allow more air to pass thru at highway speeds, and I assume suck shut when the fans come on and start pulling air thru the rad at slower speeds.
You may be on the right track.
Thanks c69, I may have to see if I can find a picture of the shrouds with those flaps and see if I can fabricate them. I do think that with the solid shroud and the limited amount the fans can pass that may be a part (maybe large part), of my issue....
Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

I did find these two examples:

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=3...&tx=136&ty=120

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=2...&tx=131&ty=106

Yeah this is morphing into a cooling thread but if it keeps my driving to work as it gets warmer (hotter), then all is good
Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM
ironwills76corvette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Yeah this is morphing into a cooling thread but if it keeps my driving to work as it gets warmer (hotter), then all is good
.......oooops. I was stoked about your first drive, but did get concerned about the cooling. If you lived in Maine you wouldn't have a cooling problem.......just throw some snow under the hood and keep driving.....
Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I was also going to suggest some relief vents with flaps. Since it keeps cool in traffic it seems like your fans work fine, but since it also heats up at speed, it seems like the air is being restricted. I am sure you could fab up something if that becomes necessary.
I wish I could drive my vette anywhere this time of year. (Jealousy speaking)
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

I do enjoy being able to drive pretty much year round, just not in the rain, it's ok to be jealous

Was a big hurdle being able to drive it to work after all the work/money I've done/spent so that feels good. Now to get past this cooling issue and as summer nears I will be concerned with getting AC up and running but don't think I will be able to get that done this summer, maybe by next fall...
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Always fun to drive the car anywhere but especially to work. It's looking good Airborne.

Hope you figure out what will stabilize the temps so that you continue to enjoy. We'll be watchin and post up more pictures whenyou can.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Thanks Dustup, yeah it's great getting to drive it to work. This morning coming through the gate the guard was really going on about what a great car and he loved the body lines, it was kinda funny he kept me there for a while and I know the people behind me were probably getting upset but I enjoyed it

I'm contemplating putting the fans directly on the radiator and lose the shroud to see if that helps. I have seen others with theirs like that.

Last edited by AirborneSilva; 02-15-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: new info
Old 02-15-2013, 08:47 PM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

I don't have a shroud around my fans - and I don't have cooling problems.

I do, however, occasionally run rich and that will heat the car up (that and that stupid sticks-occasionally thermostat)

my point is - beside making sure your air dam is in place.

Make sure you're not running rich, lean, and your timing is spot on.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:55 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Thanks SBG, Lars setup my carb for me so I am not worried about that. I have 34 total degrees of timing and the air dam is there, old and a little damaged but there. I will probably pickup some of that plastic type base board from lowes this weekend to see what that will do but I'm getting more and more convinced that the shroud is not allowing the air to flow through at speed.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 PM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

first off, thanks for your service to our country. 2nd, you should consider going back to the stock cooling setup with factory fan shroud and radiator seals. I'm 70 miles up the the road from you and in the hot Texas summers my Big block car runs 180 deg in stop and go traffic. It was barely 60 deg today and you are running hot?? I learned a long time ago to not try to second guess GM's engineers. Some things they designed actually worked well.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:54 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I would not change the fans you have now. I live in a country that is over 90 degrees 11 months a year and use my A/C all the time and my fans look just like yours, my car keeps at 180* even in the stop and sometime go traffic of Bangkok.

Your problem is the front air dam as it helps cools when highway driving.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Hi Gage and thank you! When I got the car it didn't have a shroud on it and had a damn noisy flex fan. I may end up having to go back to the factory fan/shroud setup but with the money I have in this e fan setup I'd like to try and see if I can work this out first. When I say hot it isn't dangerous hot but yeah for the temp it was today it was running warmer than it should. My gauge is not correct but knowing where the needle is when they 180* T stat opens I would guestimate that yesterday when it was in the upper 70's it was running 200 or slightly higher, today it wasn't quite as bad but as you said it was mid 60's.

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Look what I drove to work for the first time

Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bangkok Dean
I would not change the fans you have now. I live in a country that is over 90 degrees 11 months a year and use my A/C all the time and my fans look just like yours, my car keeps at 180* even in the stop and sometime go traffic of Bangkok.

Your problem is the front air dam as it helps cools when highway driving.
Thanks Dean, yeah I think the first thing I'm going to try is extending the air dam to see if that does anything. I'll try to do that either tomorrow evening or Sunday after mowing the lawn, the warm weather and little bit of moisture (not anywhere near enough moisture), has gotten the lawn growing again...
Old 02-16-2013, 12:09 AM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Congrats. Vette looks great!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:21 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Love the torch red paint! Right on and great looking 'Vette!

Quick Reply: Look what I drove to work for the first time