Sponsored by:

VB&P questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 PM
bigjohn550
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VB&P questions

I've got a 68 I'm about to dive in to and just had a couple questions on the VB&P suspension kits. I have no interest in doing any road course type racing. This will be one of my daily drivers and I just want it to perform more like a modern vehicle. Better than stock at least.
Will this kit do well enough for what I want?
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...-Corvette.html
Or do I really need to buy their top of the line kit to really notice any difference?
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...t-1963-79.html
Thanks for any help here!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:30 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

FWIW I'm running essentially the first kit and it made a huge difference in my car, both cruising on the highway and "pushing it."

That being said, it doesn't ride anywhere near as well as my daily driver.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 PM
bigjohn550
Advanced

Does it not handle as well as your daily driver or just not as smooth riding?
Old 02-13-2013, 10:51 PM
johnt365
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I also have 550# front springs, a 360# rear but Koni shocks, pretty close. The ride is not spongy. It will be a big improvment but its subjective. I have stock size tires and wheels and that does me no favors.

I have read that combo is close to the FE7 or Gymkahanna package of back in the day. That is why I got it.

I think the right tires could help it handle as well as lets say my 03 toyota matrix but it is a bit rougher in the process.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:01 PM
bigjohn550
Advanced

I appreciate the replies. I've read the aftermarket suspensions are rougher. Just want something thats going to handle better. Its going to have a modern drivetrain so I want the suspension to hold up as well. Just think their top of the line kit might be a bit overkill for me.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjohn550
Does it not handle as well as your daily driver or just not as smooth riding?
Both. My dd handles very well and is very smooth. I suppose that it depends on what you think is acceptable.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 AM
bigjohn550
Advanced

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Both. My dd handles very well and is very smooth. I suppose that it depends on what you think is acceptable.
True. I just figure if I'm putting a modern drivetrain I may as well update the suspension as well. The two kits have a pretty big price gap.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:58 AM
RickyBerg
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a 68 I'm about to dive in to and just had a couple questions on the VB&P suspension kits. I have no interest in doing any road course type racing. This will be one of my daily drivers and I just want it to perform more like a modern vehicle. Better than stock at least.
Will this kit do well enough for what I want?
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...-Corvette.html
Or do I really need to buy their top of the line kit to really notice any difference?
http://www.vbandp.com/C2-C3-Corvette...t-1963-79.html
Thanks for any help here!
The Performance Plus package is propably a bit overkill for what you need... -Today..

So if you sometime in the future deside to go for a trackday that package is what you need.

The Performance Plus Package will make a huge change to your old sloppy car and a very great advatage over the Street and Slalom kit is that you very easy can adjust both the rideheight and stiffness of your chassie.

I have got the Performance Plus kit and the car performs very well on trackdays with R-tyres at the second most stiffest setting and are at the same time wery comfotable on the road.

Im running 255-50 tyres on the track and 255-60 on the road and its just a pleasure to drive both slow and fast.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:34 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I appreciate the replies. I've read the aftermarket suspensions are rougher. Just want something thats going to handle better. Its going to have a modern drivetrain so I want the suspension to hold up as well. Just think their top of the line kit might be a bit overkill for me.
I'm by no means a suspension expert and there's several forum members who are but I have found that in order to increase the handling you are going to have to give up some ride comfort. Rough is subjective. What is objectionable to you may be fine to someone else. If you are going to invest in a modern drivetrain even though it seems like overkill now you may want to consider a suspension package that's adjustable as RickyBerg suggested.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:48 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I bet if you replace all the original, worn out suspension components (bushings, shocks, tie rods, ***** joints, New tires, etc.) with OEM style replacements, you'll be just as happy, maybe even happier with the results.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by qwank
I bet if you replace all the original, worn out suspension components (bushings, shocks, tie rods, ***** joints, New tires, etc.) with OEM style replacements, you'll be just as happy, maybe even happier with the results.

Restore the stock suspension, then drive the car. After that you can decide whether an aftermarket suspension might make a difference.

You should not expect to have a forty year old C3 driving and handling "like a modern car." These days, computers control ride and handling.

Last edited by Easy Mike; 02-16-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I agree. First step is to restore it to factory specs and see how you like it. Very possible that it will do everything you want it to do.

I went and did a few upgrades that makes my car fit me better. You may or may not want to them, it's all personal preference.

I decreased the assist in the power steering by rebuilding the control valve with a thicker spring washer.

17" rims with 255/50-17 tires (big improvement)

Thicker swaybars front & rear

Bilstein shocks

Changed the alignment to VBP street recommendations

Custom upper a-arms with more caster.

Get notified of new replies

To VB&P questions

Quick Reply: VB&P questions