Sponsored by:

1969 Coss-Ram vs 82-84 Cross-Fire

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM
lance m p
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Coss-Ram vs 82-84 Cross-Fire

OK go to [www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com] read that entire section plus pics on the cross-ram intake, very similiar to the crossfire main differences I READ and SEE are plenum volume AND port size? The cross-ram was basically a tunnel-ram only in a horizontal configuration [to keep it UNDER the hood for SCCA rules] With the plenum volume increase they had --wet fuel problems--fuel puddling [at low rpm]in that intake. Not trying to compare intakes as so much as getting more info out there for us Crossfire guys.......ONLY reason for post. so please DON'T take this post in the wrong way.....just MORE information thats it! The dramatic increase in port size [plus cam] led to high rpm hp and "shorter stroke",[4000-7200rpm power-band] low rpm suffered. At what rpm-range do you usually drive your 82-84 crossfired vette? *note: no swirl-plates waaay back in 68-69*. Something to think about??? "Still learning" just for curiousity sake looked on-line for prices on the CROSSRAM anywhere from $5,800-$7,500 "whew" my pockets ain't that deep. plus ain't gonna be driving my vette around at 4,000 rpm's all day?? [yes cam and rest of combo had a direct impact on powerband-rpm's] Just something to ponder.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM
lance m p
Racer

I screwed up when I posted that post you'll have to go to that site by your search engine [www.camaro-untoldsecrects.com]
Old 02-17-2013, 08:14 PM
EmNash
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thought you may be interested in this, an early 60's Plymouth Fury with a cross ram manifold. It was driven in by the original owner and came from the factory that way. (wish I remembered the year)
Old 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Old 02-17-2013, 11:34 PM
lance m p
Racer

Default Please don't............

Originally Posted by c3nashvette

Thought you may be interested in this, an early 60's Plymouth Fury with a cross ram manifold. It was driven in by the original owner and came from the factory that way. (wish I remembered the year)
I HAD a 1965 max/wedge 426 ya kill n me....I might as well gave that car away. Back in the day ....didn't know what I had
Old 02-17-2013, 11:40 PM
lance m p
Racer

Love it Larry!! school me on your air cleaners cas I AIN'T gonna be put n that ugly a#$ stock air cleaner back on. Al did a mod on his 82 I like it however, I would like another option? I got an idea of what I'm going to do BUT you already did it so .......how did you do it?? If ya don't mind me asking? Lance
Old 02-18-2013, 05:52 PM
EmNash
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lance m p
I HAD a 1965 max/wedge 426 ya kill n me....I might as well gave that car away. Back in the day ....didn't know what I had
So your 82 Crossfire is not your first cross ram intake, thats pretty cool. You are probably in a pretty exclusive club there.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lance m p
Love it Larry!! school me on your air cleaners cas I AIN'T gonna be put n that ugly a#$ stock air cleaner back on. Al did a mod on his 82 I like it however, I would like another option? I got an idea of what I'm going to do BUT you already did it so .......how did you do it?? If ya don't mind me asking? Lance
i had a spare base and used my trusty Dremel tool to trip it down to the correct diameter. The filters are K&N E-2720. And, bought the standard 9" lid. Had to fabricate an adapter to move the hold down post to the center, since the tbi and base are off center. Put a wing-nut as a hold down. Maybe would do it again to have an acorn nut on the top or a GM type nut on the top. the E-2720 is the tallest I could go, which is 2.5". But it lets me clear the fuel pressure guage I put on the passenger side TBI under the cover of the filter. Ken73 from Crossfire Injection Forum said he has never seen it done, but I did it, much to his chagrin, I am sure. When I have a chance, I will snap a picture of it in more detail.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:38 PM
lance m p
Racer

Default I am not sure............................?

Originally Posted by c3nashvette
So your 82 Crossfire is not your first cross ram intake, thats pretty cool. You are probably in a pretty exclusive club there.
about being so exclusive???? just a ol hot-rodder tying to use my experences to maxamize any thing I build? I been around a few Chrysle'rs w/cross-rams 426 wedges & Hemi's however that was in the late 70's. I like the older Mopar's but consider myself a GM man I've got quite bit of experence w/ the Turbo/Intercooled Buick 3.8/86-87 models. Now using my past builds for the completion of a [as near as my pockets can afford] omtimized running crossfired Vette to it's full potential,[and keeping the car's driveablity and apperance intact.] Would love to get my hands on a Renagde................but "you can't always get what ya want" So I have taken along time to get to the point I'm at w/ the Vette. [glad now it DID take me this long, because I had the block/heads built with a mind-set of using the stock CF intake. I am currently getting 51mm tb's and 80lb/hr inj. to get the combo as close as i can and get it tuned just right and using every trick I know.......and I HAVE learned a lot on this site! Thanks to all!!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:02 AM
lance m p
Racer

Default Cool...............

Originally Posted by Larry82
i had a spare base and used my trusty Dremel tool to trip it down to the correct diameter. The filters are K&N E-2720. And, bought the standard 9" lid. Had to fabricate an adapter to move the hold down post to the center, since the tbi and base are off center. Put a wing-nut as a hold down. Maybe would do it again to have an acorn nut on the top or a GM type nut on the top. the E-2720 is the tallest I could go, which is 2.5". But it lets me clear the fuel pressure guage I put on the passenger side TBI under the cover of the filter. Ken73 from Crossfire Injection Forum said he has never seen it done, but I did it, much to his chagrin, I am sure. When I have a chance, I will snap a picture of it in more detail.
That is what I thought you did, I searched the junk yards and got 2 complete air cleaners from 4 bangers using just the bases [modified] and putting 9" dia. cleaners on it w/ chrome lids I wanted to show as much of the rest of the engine as possible and I didn't want o disturb the org./ugly a/cleaner. I'm there now, you helped w/the height I was going to TRY to use a piece of threaded rod [heated and bent for the off-set] might have ta end up making an adapter instead? Yep yea ol trusty dremel! Thanks Larry I do have few ?? about the fp/lines and reg. But I don't wanna wear ya out w/ a bunch of ???'sNOTHING is impossible? right?? can't never did nothing!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:20 AM
lance m p
Racer

Default Ok.......miss read your post

Originally Posted by Larry82
Yep you got 9" on yours [ I miss-read and THOUGHT 10"??] thats exactly the dia. I'll be using! Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Coss-Ram vs 82-84 Cross-Fire

Quick Reply: 1969 Coss-Ram vs 82-84 Cross-Fire