Sponsored by:

Registration question for '69 in MD

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
trident91
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Registration question for '69 in MD

So I go to the MVA this morning with all of my paperwork for my recently purchased '69. (title, bill of sale, classic car insurance, etc).

I had filled out an application to register the car as a historic vehicle. According to the MVA site:

"To be registered as a historic vehicle (class L), your vehicle must be a passenger vehicle, motorcycle or truck (with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less): be 20 calendar years old or older and must not have been substantially altered, remodeled or remanufactured from the manufacturers original design.

A vehicle registered as historic cannot be used for general daily transportation, or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. It can only be used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. A trailer does not qualify for historic registration."

I am only looking to drive the vehicle maybe a few times a month (to take the kids for a spin, corvette club meetings, and maybe once a month to work to show it off). To me that falls under "occasional" use as mentioned above. However, when I was checking in at the counter the guy there said "you understand that you can ONLY take this to car shows and you can't drive it anywhere else?" I didn't have the fine print with me so I got a temporary registration and will now need to get an inspection and then go back there AGAIN!

So my question is: how do you interpret the terms "occasional transportation"? and does my explanation of how I intend to drive it fall under that category?

Thanks,
Old 02-27-2013, 10:19 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send me a PM....w /your phone #.

Stay in tune....
Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM
trident91
Cruising

Thanks Gregg. PM sent.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:13 AM
trident91
Cruising

Well, they will switch it to a historic tag - after 3 days!!! They can't change it today because it was already entered as a regular plate and needs to clear the system first.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trident91
Well, they will switch it to a historic tag - after 3 days!!! They can't change it today because it was already entered as a regular plate and needs to clear the system first.

Great Stuff....! Looks like you are welll on your way.

Stay in tune...
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Where in MD are you? I'm in Frederick...and own a '69. We also have a good club here.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
nelson007
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same thing happened to me last year on the first Vet I bought. I learned my lesson on that one. I bought two more and was able to get historic tags. I registered the second two cars at the DMV in Westminster .
Nelson 007
Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM
Mgrad92
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a very similar law in Michigan, with one notable exception. Last year they ammended the law so that the entire month of August was exempt. Cars with historic plates could be driven whenever and wherever you like. Pretty cool.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:47 AM
trident91
Cruising

I'm down in Annapolis.

Since I only paid the title/tax and the registration is temp, I better be able to switch the tags to historic ones next week. That's what they told me yesterday and I hope they don't change their tune.

Get notified of new replies

To Registration question for '69 in MD

Quick Reply: Registration question for '69 in MD