C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go again!!!! I may be pulling the trigger!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 11:57 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of sidepipes...would it be an act of cruelty to corvettes if one were to install factory style sidepipes on this car? It didn't come worth it but I love sidepipes. They sound awesome. But I dont want to ruin the car or have people put me on their ignore list because I may have desecrated the car.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:07 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

[QUOTE=theblackvette;1583257933]Speaking of sidepipes...would it be an act of cruelty to corvettes if one were to install factory style sidepipes on this car? It didn't come worth it but I love sidepipes. They sound awesome. But I dont want to ruin the car or have people put me on their ignore list because I may have desecrated the car.[/Q

Of course, side pipes are a preference, but I think the C2 Corvettes are a lot more suitable to side pipes, than the C3's. I'd have it for a few months, before you did that and that way you could get used to how it looks and then I'd make the decision. It's already got everything you could want in a C3!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 PM
69Pman
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Just put the factory pipes on my 69..only c3 that they were available as an option. IMHO, no harm no foul. I bought the rear valance that has the cutout fillers where the pipes shoot out the back. The pipes were fabricated by sweet thunder and I got the kit from Zip. Sound beautiful at idol and roar when you step on it. Not to mention, they look fantastic. All parts removed have been saved so next buyer can reinstall, if need be.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 PM
Ret.Horsecop13
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Speaking of sidepipes...would it be an act of cruelty to corvettes if one were to install factory style sidepipes on this car? It didn't come worth it but I love sidepipes. They sound awesome. But I dont want to ruin the car or have people put me on their ignore list because I may have desecrated the car.
After 10 years of looking and all your NCRS top flight originality wants, you want to put non factory pipes on this car? I am so confused
Old 03-02-2013, 01:22 PM
69Pman
Racer

I saw your last unfortunate thread about the 71 and the top flight award deal. The only thing I would be cautious of is, if you're looking to get or keep a top flight award with the most amount of points, it might be wise to keep the car as is. My disclaimer is that I'm not a judge nor have I ever had any car judged but I can imagine that the work done to the car for the side pipes would set you back a bit, even if you didn't glass in the rear valence.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:04 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Ret.Horsecop13
After 10 years of looking and all your NCRS top flight originality wants, you want to put non factory pipes on this car? I am so confused
Allow me to correct the confusion. The top flight stuff dealt directly with the last vehicle. It was already top flighted. Therefore, I would not even think to do modifications on it. It's too bad the seller misrepresented the car albeit "reported an error," the fact that my questions were not answered made it suspect. I will leave it at that.

The one before that. The red '71. It was NOT top flighted and I really had no intention of getting it flighted at all. It needed several things worked on. Heck the door locks wouldn't work. But, i was okay with it. But the documents were faked. So I told them to shove the car up.....nevermind. Nuff said on that one.

Yes, I like to have a 1971, but keep in mind I have had SEVERAL corvettes other than a 1971. So me reaching out to a 1969 really isn't so far fetched. It is NOT a top flighted car. So if I do anything to it (like sidepipes) and it isn't flighted no big deal then. But if it were flighted, then that would be ridiculous.

So I end up with a nice 1969. I am hoping with at least a 2 rating. It has a nice tank sticker and looks great. If I wish to modify it to my liking, then no big deal. I just save all the original parts and if I decide i want to spend all that time NCRS it, then I can put them back as 69PMan suggested. Or if i decide to sell the car later down the road, I will sell the parts with the car.

Furthermore, if for some reason I run into a Top Flighted 1971, maybe I would pull the trigger on that one as well. Time will tell. But, I am not going to go out of may way to find one if I end up with this nice '69. Things end up showing up when you aren't looking!

I hope this clarifies.

Last edited by theblackvette; 03-02-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 69Pman
Just put the factory pipes on my 69..only c3 that they were available as an option. IMHO, no harm no foul. I bought the rear valance that has the cutout fillers where the pipes shoot out the back. The pipes were fabricated by sweet thunder and I got the kit from Zip. Sound beautiful at idol and roar when you step on it. Not to mention, they look fantastic. All parts removed have been saved so next buyer can reinstall, if need be.
That is nice!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!!!!

I hear they have to shave the car or something to do get pipes installed. I don't get that. You know what they are talking about? I read it somewhere.

Also, your rocker panels are black painted?????, it sure looks like that. Did they come from the factory like that?
Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

D@#n, that is one sharp C3! Those redlines really look great with white.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Seller just informed me the inspection was just completed!!!!!!!

He told me it was very detailed with at least 150 pictures taken.

That is all for now. I am trying to get a gut feeling out of him but I have a feeling he stayed out of it and let the inspector do his thing. They really do not disclose their findings at all to the seller. A poker face if you will.

Gosh, the suspense is killing me. The report takes over a day to complete and get to me. The weekend may be a tad longer.

Old 03-02-2013, 04:00 PM
kidneyboy
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seller just informed me the inspection was just completed!!!!!!!

He told me it was very detailed with at least 150 pictures taken.

That is all for now. I am trying to get a gut feeling out of him but I have a feeling he stayed out of it and let the inspector do his thing. They really do not disclose their findings at all to the seller. A poker face if you will.

Gosh, the suspense is killing me. The report takes over a day to complete and get to me. The weekend may be a tad longer.

Do we all have to wait until Monday before you find out? That's cruel and unusual punishment.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:56 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kidneyboy
Do we all have to wait until Monday before you find out? That's cruel and unusual punishment.
Yes it is! And we all have to wait. But, it is necessary. It is a very detailed inspection. It isn't a NCRS judging where they look to see if you used the correct inch thickness of washers on certain parts, but it is very in depth. Lots of pictures are taken and a lot of effort goes into these reports. Exactly why I like them.

I am gonna shoot you a message. Check your inbox when you get a chance.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:10 PM
69Pman
Racer

Also, your rocker panels are black painted?????, it sure looks like that. Did they come from the factory like that?

Regarding the side exhaust..yes, there is a very small area of fiberglass that must be removed at the very front tip behind the rocker panel (directly behind the front tires). This allows for clearance when installing the factory covers. There are diagrams online that show the actual factory measurements, in engineer scale I believe. You can save the pieces for if you ever want to be able to reglass them back on for restoration purposes.

As for the rocker panels..they came original from the factory black and the side pipe covers came the same way.

Phil
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 PM
69Pman
Racer

And good luck on securing this car! What a cool combination of options on a great looking vette. Good luck and have fun.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:47 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Yes it is! And we all have to wait. But, it is necessary. It is a very detailed inspection. It isn't a NCRS judging where they look to see if you used the correct inch thickness of washers on certain parts, but it is very in depth. Lots of pictures are taken and a lot of effort goes into these reports. Exactly why I like them.

I am gonna shoot you a message. Check your inbox when you get a chance.
And good luck on securing this car! What a cool combination of options on a great looking vette. Good luck and have fun.
I have already begun to squeeze the trigger. If I am not careful it may pop before I get the inspection report. I so need to chill out.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi tbv,
The car looks nice in those couple of pictures.
What type of person is taking a look at it for you, and what things do you have him looking for specifically?
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

The black paint on the sides of the hood surround is a bit of a surprise.
Is the 'elbow' cushion on the e-brake console hiding a crack?
Hi Alan, curious for my own education why the black paint on the hood surround catches your attention? Assume you mean the inner lip that is covered when the hood is closed. My 70 also has this, and has had one repaint (Cortez)...is it supposed to be body colour when new?
Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

It is a very nice car...
I am not a fan of red, but after I saw the A/C, I thought "An A/C BB 69 Roadster?"
Wow...
Pull the damn trigger!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
Hi Alan, curious for my own education why the black paint on the hood surround catches your attention? Assume you mean the inner lip that is covered when the hood is closed. My 70 also has this, and has had one repaint (Cortez)...is it supposed to be body colour when new?
Actually I just checked again, and mine is body colour except for the area parallel to the windshield, that is black.

Get notified of new replies

To Here we go again!!!! I may be pulling the trigger!

Old 03-03-2013, 06:30 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

B A N G !!! Geez, already ....
Old 03-03-2013, 06:53 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cor66vette
B A N G !!! Geez, already ....
You REALLY THINK I should?????

Last edited by theblackvette; 03-05-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 AM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You REALLY THINK I should?????

Not just yet... and here is why......

1. It's Sunday and the car isn't going any where.

2. You just spent 3-400 for an inspection...read it!

3. You have waited this long...one more day isn't going to kill ya.

Stay in tune...

Quick Reply: Here we go again!!!! I may be pulling the trigger!