C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here we go again!!!! I may be pulling the trigger!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I see folks saying 20s for this car and I can't reconcile that with what can actually be seen on the market. A 1969 numbers BB 4 speed convertible? Sure the paint is a problem, but that is more common than we'd all like it to be. Low 30s minimum is what the market is for this car in reality, and probably more at the end of the day, I think. I agree NADA is a farce. If you take a cruise through the for sale section of this forum, ebay, auto trader, etc., I think you'll see the actual market prices for a car like this are much higher. I've seen them in the mid-20s, but they are NOMers, etc.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:14 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brcmpbl
I see folks saying 20s for this car and I can't reconcile that with what can actually be seen on the market. A 1969 numbers BB 4 speed convertible? Sure the paint is a problem, but that is more common than we'd all like it to be. Low 30s minimum is what the market is for this car in reality, and probably more at the end of the day, I think. I agree NADA is a farce. If you take a cruise through the for sale section of this forum, ebay, auto trader, etc., I think you'll see the actual market prices for a car like this are much higher. I've seen them in the mid-20s, but they are NOMers, etc.
Yes, indeed, but i figure a showroom condition top quality paint job will cost between $10,000 and $15,000 easy and expect the car to be in the paint shop for months. I don't know if I want to deal with that at the price the seller wants.

I expected the paint to be MUCH better. The other stuff, I am okay with. It is the paint that is the problem and pricing.

Horsecop's comments came from the heart as well as the others. I think if I am going to do a C3 it would have to be a flighted car, advertised as is.

Perhaps I am best going back to my usual later model corvettes, find one and purchase, and simply keep an eye out for the flighted C3. My all time favorite corvette was a C6 Z51 triple black. I let that one go as well and regretted it. It was so much fun to drive and enjoyed it. Perhaps a higher mileage one C6 for nice price, and if I find the right chrome bumper with no impulsive decision making involved then pull the trigger on that one as well.

I never had access to NCRS cars before. Now that I know where to look maybe I will pick one up and the RIGHT one for that matter. I think I may acting impulsive and desperate after my 1971 no deals. I shouldn't allow that to happen when finding a chrome bumper corvette.

I haven't made a final decision yet.

Last edited by theblackvette; 03-05-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:34 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I've been following this thread for awhile (along with the rest of us!) and here's my observation. I think you are chasing after absolute perfection in an NCRS or close to it, C3 and if it can't meet that need, then you're ready to move on and maybe stick with the later generations (C6, etc).

Obviously, you like the C3's or you wouldn't be considering one, so I'll put this thought forward: how about if you abandoned the idea of NCRS perfection and originality and just searched for a C3 that has been gone through, but is not necessarily correct and little or no documents, but still numbers matching?

With the NCRS car, it'd be almost certainly a limited use driver, as you want to keep it as perfect as possible and keep it's value as high as possible, versus just having a C3 Corvette that you'd enjoy and not sweat the value. I'd bet that it'd be a lot less stressful and a lot more enjoyable.

Just my 0.02 worth and thinking aloud.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:31 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by F22
I've been following this thread for awhile (along with the rest of us!) and here's my observation. I think you are chasing after absolute perfection in an NCRS or close to it, C3 and if it can't meet that need, then you're ready to move on and maybe stick with the later generations (C6, etc).

Obviously, you like the C3's or you wouldn't be considering one, so I'll put this thought forward: how about if you abandoned the idea of NCRS perfection and originality and just searched for a C3 that has been gone through, but is not necessarily correct and little or no documents, but still numbers matching?

With the NCRS car, it'd be almost certainly a limited use driver, as you want to keep it as perfect as possible and keep it's value as high as possible, versus just having a C3 Corvette that you'd enjoy and not sweat the value. I'd bet that it'd be a lot less stressful and a lot more enjoyable.

Just my 0.02 worth and thinking aloud.
Your $0.02 worth is more worth like a $1,000,000 to me. I greatly appreciate you following the thread and chiming in. Your thinking is correct somewhat. I did go for a non ncrs 1971 red convertible to find that it had fake documents. Shortly later, there was the NCRS '71 which ended up being a disaster because of communitcation. Then there is this 1969 427/390 roadster.

I have my eyes open for all options but someone politely sent me an email message rather than posting on the forum (trying as to not offend me) the he too has been watching my story. He feels that I have fallen victim to being on the rebound. Like how a couple breaks up and they both end up dating the next best thing that shows up. With dissapointment, I think he is exactly right. The NCRS car completely devastated me. I really think that one would have satisfied me a great deal. But, communication was fair at best. Not good enough to wire that kind of money. It still bothers me it went down that path. But, I had to move on.

I do love the look of the C3 and it is the best body style in my opinion. But I do love the speed and look of the modern corvettes. I owned several. I don't remember the last time I have been vetteless this long and it is driving me crazy. It is no issue for me to pull the trigger on a higher mileage C6 where I can drive when I want and keep my eyes out still for that perfect C3. Again, wasn't familiar with NCRS membership until recently so I imaging I would find something eventually. Thanks for your wisdom!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 PM
gccch
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't see the paint as that big of an issue on this car. It's not terrible, and at this price I would expect the paint to have issues. What is it worth with absolutely perfect paint? It's a solid rust free car with great options, well cared for, and has some wear and tear. It is a solid #2 car, right?

I think if the paint were "perfect" it would not be offered for 40k.

My only concern was for the number pad. If it is safe I would not stop for the paint. But that is indeed a personal matter and choice.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:44 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Regarding the engine stamp. A member requested I post it up for a discussion. Here is the stamp. Discuss as you wish.

PICTURES REMOVED: Due to lack of interest.

Best regards.

Last edited by theblackvette; 03-05-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:15 PM
GREGG-73
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bag all this crap, close the thread, and go buy yourself a ticket to reality....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay in tune....
Old 03-05-2013, 02:19 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GREGG-73
Bag all this crap, close the thread, and go buy yourself a ticket to reality....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stay in tune....
Per your request, I edited the last posting
due to lack of interest.

Best regards.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:27 PM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I have bought 4 cars; I wish I had the guidance of this forum. I'd be BIG bucks ahead.
Or not...
Old 03-05-2013, 03:35 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Per your request, I edited the last posting
due to lack of interest.

Best regards.

It's been less than three hours! Do you really know what you want?

Last edited by Paul L; 03-05-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:31 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

I have also been lurking in this thread, and most of the advice is right on..
just a couple comments..

NADA is a Joke, and will only apply to the very high end very good condition cars.
if I could get 'just below NADA retail" on my car.. I would sell it in a minute.

Are you truly willing to purchase these cars without actually going to see them?

there are very few cars that trade for less than 50K that do not have a list of excuses..

you would have a 50 line item list of repairs/upgrades on this car. I had a similar list on my car when I bought it.. it was 'restored' but not totally done.. 5 years later, my list is down to 3... are you truly willing to have a car with such a list of things to do to it? can tackle the mechanicals yourself?

you are going to need to go upwards of 60K to find you a no excuses car...

sounds like that 71 was a pretty nice car except for the wrong documentation. solution is to pay a price for that car based on nonexistent doc.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Default My responses in red pen.

Originally Posted by joewill
I have also been lurking in this thread, and most of the advice is right on..
just a couple comments..

NADA is a Joke, and will only apply to the very high end very good condition cars.
if I could get 'just below NADA retail" on my car.. I would sell it in a minute.

Yes, I am learning that those guides are a joke. I was basing the price on AVERAGE retail. And since it was below average retail on NADA that I thought maybe the vehicle was priced appropriately. Based on the paint, the price may be too high. That is my concern.

Are you truly willing to purchase these cars without actually going to see them?
Yes, I am. I wouldn't be the first, or nor the last to do that.

there are very few cars that trade for less than 50K that do not have a list of excuses..

you would have a 50 line item list of repairs/upgrades on this car. I had a similar list on my car when I bought it.. it was 'restored' but not totally done.. 5 years later, my list is down to 3... are you truly willing to have a car with such a list of things to do to it? can tackle the mechanicals yourself?
No, I would not be unable to tackle the mechanics at first. Willing to learn but would need considerable help.

you are going to need to go upwards of 60K to find you a no excuses car...
I would most certainly pay that kind of money. Absolutely, if it had the awards and all.

sounds like that 71 was a pretty nice car except for the wrong documentation. solution is to pay a price for that car based on nonexistent doc.
There were TWO 1971s that came into play. I REALLY liked the year and cars. The RED one was not flighted and had some issues. I was TOTALLY fine with the issues. The documents justified the price. Tank sticker and protecto plate. However, upon discovery BOTH the tank sticker and protecto plate were not from that car, despite it being advertised being for that car. Therefore, a misrepresentation. That in itself makes the entire car suspect. Even, if the price was lowered and from all accounts there was not going to be a price reduction I simply could not continue with that transaction. That was the SELLER'S fault, not mine. The OTHER 1971 car was TOP FLIGHTED. To make a long story short, I was given information, came up with a price on that information and later was told the information was not correct. I tried to clarify certain items and was faced with uncooperation. Therefore, NO sale. I wasn't going to proceed under those terms. That involved a LOT of money and walked away. Again, this was the SELLER's fault, not mine.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:33 PM
AirwolfPJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You say you're willing to spend some serious money on a top flight car, yet you're relying on the assessment of others, and seemingly, want others to make the purchase decision for you.

You're buying a 32-34 year old car. They weren't perfect from the factory and they won't be perfect now.

I understand the excitement of buying a Vette. All the drama involved....not so much. Maybe you should start your next thread; "I bought one!" Then you can let us all know how it went.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AirwolfPJ
Yet you're relying on the assessment of others, and seemingly, want others to make the purchase decision for you
This is absolutely untrue. I can make my own decisions. Please accept my sincerest apology for taking up your time with the drama. I can assure you it was unintentional. Thank you and best regards.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM
AirwolfPJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're taking it personal and it wasn't meant to be. Reread all of your posts in this thread and see how they come across. Like I said; I certainly understand the excitement. You just have to set some realistic expectations. At least then you won't feel so let down. Doesn't matter how much money you spend - you can't buy something that doesn't exist.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:54 PM
exposingtime
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 C3 of the Year Finalist

I just noticed this thread. I will add my two cents from a very experienced perspective.

I have a 69 top flighted car with similar options (427 4 speed factory air) Mine also has factory side pipes.

It took me 2.5 years to find a car with these options (sidepipes were a bonus, not on my list). I paid $45k for a car that was painted in 87 and never reassembled. 2 years later I have around $55k in the car and think it was a bargain. It has a regional top flight and I recently PV'ed the car at the last kissimmee regional.

It appears as if your inspection pointed out some flaws in the car, but nothing that cannot be easily corrected. Who cases about the pitted bumpers, if you paint the car you will replace them anyways.

I have no clue what they are asking for the car, but assume you will put another 15k into it and when you are done your car will be worth $50k today. The paint looks great. I would drive it and enjoy it for a while as you get things restored or corrected. Paint the car in lacquer and go for some judging.

If you are familiar with pricing of 70-72 cars, I would say that you should add $5-$10k for this 427.

Engine compartment looks pretty much original. I am sure it will be a great car.

Buy it and enjoy it.
Gary
Old 03-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AirwolfPJ
You say you're willing to spend some serious money on a top flight car, yet you're relying on the assessment of others, and seemingly, want others to make the purchase decision for you.

You're buying a 32-34 year old car. They weren't perfect from the factory and they won't be perfect now.

I understand the excitement of buying a Vette. All the drama involved....not so much. Maybe you should start your next thread; "I bought one!" Then you can let us all know how it went.
I agree. So much drama?? When I buy a car it is hardly earth-shattering. The OP should just get off this thread and tell us if he bought a car. I doubt he will as he does not seem to know what he wants.

Get notified of new replies

To Here we go again!!!! I may be pulling the trigger!

Old 03-05-2013, 07:00 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by paul 74
I agree. So much drama?? When I buy a car it is hardly earth-shattering. The OP should just get off this thread and tell us if he bought a car. I doubt he will as he does not seem to know what he wants.
Paul, I apologize to you for disturbing your forum experience with all the drama. I didn't mean to make anyone angry with me. Best regards.

Last edited by theblackvette; 03-05-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Paul, I apologize to you for disturbing your forum experience with all the drama. I didn't mean to make anyone angry with me. Best regards.
I am not angry. Just make up your mind. You have had a professional appraisal that looks OK with some minor technical issues and of course the paint. I believe the price was in the low 20s and that seemed like a reasonable price. Its your choice if you wish to put in another $12,000 or so for paint etc. What is the fascination with NCRS? And Top Flight status. These cars are meant to be driven.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:16 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by paul 74
I am not angry. Just make up your mind. You have had a professional appraisal that looks OK with some minor technical issues and of course the paint. I believe the price was in the low 20s and that seemed like a reasonable price. Its your choice if you wish to put in another $12,000 or so for paint etc. What is the fascination with NCRS? And Top Flight status. These cars are meant to be driven.
Price is almost double what you stated. Best regards.

Quick Reply: Here we go again!!!! I may be pulling the trigger!