Sponsored by:

Window Motor issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
GS81VETT
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Motor issues

Hey guys, I am struggling with my windows and sealing them. After putting in new weather striping and new scrapers on the outside of the window and new anti rattle pieces I then adjusted the windows so they line up to seal. The problem is when the door is closed the window does not close all the way it just stops. When I open the door the window will finish the job and close about the one quarter inch I was missing. So I was going to just bite the bullet and take out the window and rebuild the tracks and put new bushings in and clean everything and check for clearance. The motors should have some work question is should or can I rebuild them or just replace them? I am on a VERY tight budget so any thoughts would be helpful.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by GS81VETT
Hey guys, I am struggling with my windows and sealing them. After putting in new weather striping and new scrapers on the outside of the window and new anti rattle pieces I then adjusted the windows so they line up to seal. The problem is when the door is closed the window does not close all the way it just stops. When I open the door the window will finish the job and close about the one quarter inch I was missing. So I was going to just bite the bullet and take out the window and rebuild the tracks and put new bushings in and clean everything and check for clearance. The motors should have some work question is should or can I rebuild them or just replace them? I am on a VERY tight budget so any thoughts would be helpful.
When you say 'adjust' the windows, did you just adjust the window bumper bolts, or did you mess with the bolts in the door? Because if you played with those, you're going to need the FSM or AIM to adjust them, it's very specific.

If the motors still work, try greasing up the mechanicals, it helps a lot. Dry tracks make it really hard on the motors and they will have an easier time. Many of the C3's probably haven't been lubed for decades.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 AM
GS81VETT
Heel & Toe

Thanks I adjusted both the stop bolts and the bolts on the door and on the top to adjust the in and out and forward and back. I have lubed the best I can and the motors do work so I was going to get new rollers and window mount kit and take out the regulator and clean and lube it up and put in new rollers. This would be the first time in 30 years this has been done on the car so it does need it I was just wondering if I should remove the rivits and take the motor out but being it does work I should leave it alone? Dont fix it if it ant broke

Hey what is a AIM or FSM? I have not heard of those before?
Old 03-17-2013, 01:19 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by GS81VETT
Thanks I adjusted both the stop bolts and the bolts on the door and on the top to adjust the in and out and forward and back. I have lubed the best I can and the motors do work so I was going to get new rollers and window mount kit and take out the regulator and clean and lube it up and put in new rollers. This would be the first time in 30 years this has been done on the car so it does need it I was just wondering if I should remove the rivits and take the motor out but being it does work I should leave it alone? Dont fix it if it ant broke

Hey what is a AIM or FSM? I have not heard of those before?
The AIM is the Assembly Manual, that shows how the Corvette is put together, very very informative. The FSM is the Factory Service Manual and it's another must have. Each section has a thorough introductio into how everything works. Amazing book, that we've learned so much from.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:33 PM
GS81VETT
Heel & Toe

Thanks man I figured that out after I asked! Duh! yes I have a good manual to show how to adjust the window. I ordered new rollers and new window mounting hardware for one side. I also plan on taking out the lock and cleaning it so it works better and stops locking me in damn car and making me look stupid!

Get notified of new replies

To Window Motor issues

Quick Reply: Window Motor issues