Sponsored by:

Chazde3's '68 Vette Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

It's good to hear your dad is still handling things......a new frame!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:40 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by AllC34Me
In 1973 they changed the front bumper. Back bumper section is the same, I agree. I cannot speak for the front bumper changes and I don't think they show that on this example. Front bumper when from 72 metal bumper to 73 rubber bumper, so that may or may not work for your 68. Need someone to crawl up under a 68-72 front end, and then the 73 front end, and get some pictures for you. The brackets have to be different and how they mount may be as well.
The article referenced only details the rear of the car from what I can see.

Anyone out there got some other pictures?

David
I'm sure someone out there knows the answer. I've got some time before I can have the frame unburied, help arranged to move it out of the attic and have a trailer that I can use to haul the frame to my house.

Originally Posted by doorgunner
It's good to hear your dad is still handling things......a new frame!

Ah yes, dad's retirement fund at its best lol. Money in the bank he used to say when hauling all sorts of parts home.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:25 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Ah yes, dad's retirement fund at its best lol. Money in the bank he used to say when hauling all sorts of parts home. [/QUOTE]

In many respects I think your dad was correct Chuck. No falling interest rates, no exchange rate fluctuations, no lack of demand for quality corvette parts, and very few reliable sources of quality GM parts makes what your dad did appear very wise. We needed more visionaries to help assure the future of our now aging antiques. Glad you have those to rely upon when you need them.

I am working to do some of the same now, but maybe not to the same scale.

David
Old 04-06-2015, 09:03 PM
Krazymaan
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So being the car is a 68 vette I noticed that it does not have the push button 68 only thumb button on the door. So does that mean it was changed to a newer year door lock mechanism or is the door newer? Just an observation. I'm just curious because lots of stuff is 68 only and thats not a 68 door lock, this is.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:20 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Krazymaan
So being the car is a 68 vette I noticed that it does not have the push button 68 only thumb button on the door. So does that mean it was changed to a newer year door lock mechanism or is the door newer? Just an observation. I'm just curious because lots of stuff is 68 only and thats not a 68 door lock, this is.
That was an early observation in the thread. Truth is, the answer is a mystery. Most likely the doors were replaced at some point in the cars life, but it was built in the last week or so in '68 and no one really knows of there was an overlap in the start of the '69 door changeover. If you look at some of the other pictures. You can see the interior was swapped to a '72 interior at some point as well.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:36 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

The 68-74 frame is basically the same. The 73 and 74 front bumper brackets were made to fit up to the old frame. I think that in 1973 they added the rubber body mounts, so the mount points are lower than the 68-72 solid aluminum mounts. In 74 they added two small brackets on to the rear outside edge of the frame.
I purchased a replacement GM frame for my 68 and the two small brackets at the rear were the only difference, and I removed them. I hope that this information helps you. Lou.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:48 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by loup68
The 68-74 frame is basically the same. The 73 and 74 front bumper brackets were made to fit up to the old frame. I think that in 1973 they added the rubber body mounts, so the mount points are lower than the 68-72 solid aluminum mounts. In 74 they added two small brackets on to the rear outside edge of the frame.
I purchased a replacement GM frame for my 68 and the two small brackets at the rear were the only difference, and I removed them. I hope that this information helps you. Lou.
Thanks! These seem to be all the changes that I have found in my research as well. I can manage modifying the bumper brackets to work and use the rubber body mounts. Next up is figuring out how to unbury the frame, arrange transportation to my home garage and begin building a rolling chassis. I need to purchase a car trailer so I can help clear out junk cars at the parents house and eventually use it to trailer this car when I need to, just have to sneak the money past the boss.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by chazde3
Thanks! These seem to be all the changes that I have found in my research as well. I can manage modifying the bumper brackets to work and use the rubber body mounts. Next up is figuring out how to unbury the frame, arrange transportation to my home garage and begin building a rolling chassis. I need to purchase a car trailer so I can help clear out junk cars at the parents house and eventually use it to trailer this car when I need to, just have to sneak the money past the boss.
If you can get the chassis out before I arrive Chuck then I would be glad to haul it from your mom's house to your house with my Sparty trailer. That will give you a little more time to find that trailer that you want for hauling your toy.
Best regards,
David
Old 04-08-2015, 09:41 PM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

If you can get the chassis out before I arrive Chuck then I would be glad to haul it from your mom's house to your house with my Sparty trailer. That will give you a little more time to find that trailer that you want for hauling your toy.
Best regards,
David
But he has a parts car, I'm sure he can strap the frame to the roof.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:35 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Best regards,
David
Very kind of you to offer David. I have a slightly different idea to run past you as long as my mom would approve which I don't see as being a huge issue. I will get a hold of you later about this.

Originally Posted by Jack605
But he has a parts car, I'm sure he can strap the frame to the roof.

Oh god, I'm already freaking out about imperfections in the paint job as is. I'm meeting up with the local G8 club in a couple weeks and she isn't ready and I don't have much free time to get the swirls out before then. I have a short bed F150 I could strap it to, but I'm not a big fan of getting pulled over
Old 04-09-2015, 07:24 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Very kind of you to offer David. I have a slightly different idea to run past you as long as my mom would approve which I don't see as being a huge issue. I will get a hold of you later about this.

Oh god, I'm already freaking out about imperfections in the paint job as is. I'm meeting up with the local G8 club in a couple weeks and she isn't ready and I don't have much free time to get the swirls out before then. I have a short bed F150 I could strap it to, but I'm not a big fan of getting pulled over

I'm home now through the end of the month so fire away when ready sir. I just drug a 1981 coupe home with damage to the front end so I have a toy to play with for a few days. It will keep me busy enough for the next couple of days. David
Old 04-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Jack605
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 118 Posts

As long as you flag the end of the frame they should leave you alone.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:04 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Default vette

Like the avatar! Your dad would be proud of that.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:15 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rvzio

(Does anyone besides me have trouble chasing the moving : woohoo : icon with their pointer in order to click on it?)

Last edited by doorgunner; 04-09-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:02 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by doorgunner

(Does anyone besides me have trouble chasing the moving : woohoo : icon with their pointer in order to click on it?)
Thanks guys! I figured after 2 years here I should probably toss an avatar on. Oh and I forgot to mention, I came across the matching fender vents from the other side digging through the garage a week ago. I need to get that one cleaned up so that I have the matching set finally.

I'm picking up an engine hoist and leveler after work tonight and dropping them off at the garage on my way home. I'm hoping to get the engine out of the car on Sunday. I also need to figure out a cheap set of wheels so that I can roll the car around. Planning planning planning.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:27 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks guys! I figured after 2 years here I should probably toss an avatar on. Oh and I forgot to mention, I came across the matching fender vents from the other side digging through the garage a week ago. I need to get that one cleaned up so that I have the matching set finally.

I'm picking up an engine hoist and leveler after work tonight and dropping them off at the garage on my way home. I'm hoping to get the engine out of the car on Sunday. I also need to figure out a cheap set of wheels so that I can roll the car around. Planning planning planning.
I roll mine around on wheel dollies. Inexpensive ones. Makes the car much more mobile which I need in my garage. Do you have an engine stand for holding it after you remove the engine? Hoist and leveler are nice, engine stand helps a bunch as well. Anyway, post pictures, people love to follow along.
David
Old 04-09-2015, 04:31 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Go Chuck Go!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Chazde3's '68 Vette Project

Old 04-10-2015, 12:46 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Go Chuck Go!!!!!!!
Guess who's lunch says that the engine will be out of the car Sunday.

Name:  72IjCMgh.jpeg
Views: 18
Size:  119.1 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:35 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Started the engine break down

3904392 heads
Name:  SkPPTZAh.jpeg
Views: 20
Size:  194.0 KB

3933163 intake
Name:  puefafSh.jpeg
Size:  170.5 KB

Stuff that made it into the engine over the years
Name:  fnzBoL8h.jpeg
Views: 21
Size:  205.2 KB

Name:  siXL6Q5h.jpeg
Size:  175.5 KB

Where I quit for the night
Name:  oJ1mpgHh.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  142.9 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 12:16 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

VALVOLINE?

MICE?

Quick Reply: Chazde3's '68 Vette Project