Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 01:31 PM
20round
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by chazde3
Thanks!

Thanks Roger! I don't think there is really anything to do differently. I had a terrible time getting to seat back cover rolled over the back of the seat. I had heard it would be bad, but I spent probably an hour trying to get it stretched over the top of the seat and felt like I was going to rip the cover the whole time.Maybe a little more glue on the back piece of foam and I now know the proper spot to cut the portion out for the seat belt cutouts in the foam. The first seat had them cut a little too high.

Thanks David! I am curious if the 8-10 hour estimate includes tear down and cleaning the frames as well. If that figure does, I think that time is very accurate into what I have into the seats. Not a job I am looking forward to anytime soon again, but I would likely do them myself again if needed, The other seat will likely be done next week now since I am missing wire clips and waiting on replacements from Paragon. This weekend I will be manning a booth at the Woods-N-Water News outdoor weekend for Brenton USA. Nothing like showing off the finest AR hunting rifles you can buy to thousands of people. But, I will be bringing my knee cart just in case.
great thread you have started!
Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Finally got the replacement clips in from Paragon after a nearly 2 week wait due to some miscommunication. The second seat went a lot faster than the first one. I was able to get the majority of the seat done in one evening after work, but ran out of hog rings and had to buy more at a farm supply store. Had issues with the area around the shoulder belt trim on this seat as well, oh well. They still look great for an amateur job. I took lots of pictures and will post a thread on how to do the covers later.

Name:  PvkoubVh.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  81.6 KB

Tossed one in the drivers seat of the car to see how they look and to be able to sit in the seat for the first time in 5 years.

Name:  saiJI0Hh.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  87.9 KB

A couple of observations from that. There is some interference with the back corner of the seat and the roll bar. The seat foam sits nice and high like expected, that coupled with my thick thighs and I will be running a smaller diameter steering wheel like dad did. I would run the exact same one, but the wheel is very tacky.

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:48 PM
Andy Tuttle
Melting Slicks

Received 392 Likes on 340 Posts

Chuck - Those seats look as good as factory! And what a shame to cover those beautiful frames! Good job my friend! And SON! You sell AR (MSR)?? Why did I not know this?? We need to talk! Keep up the good work man!
Old 09-22-2018, 03:49 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 795 Likes on 620 Posts

Chuck I forgot to ask you if you used or needed any special tools for the seats. I think they came out very well. Nice job!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:01 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Had issues with the area around the shoulder belt trim
I recently did my seats with new foam, and the "leather-like" covers. Like you said, it was a real challenge getting them to slip over the top, but that trim piece was the WORST part of the whole job! Mine look a lot like yours(except in black)…. so I guess we did alright!
Old 09-22-2018, 07:52 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Andy Tuttle
Chuck - Those seats look as good as factory! And what a shame to cover those beautiful frames! Good job my friend! And SON! You sell AR (MSR)?? Why did I not know this?? We need to talk! Keep up the good work man!
Thanks Andy! I dont advertise too much about the rifle business. I will say we have a few of our 450 bushmaster rifles out in Iowa now that you guys can hunt with them out there. Our rifles aren't even close to the cheapest out there, but we put our quality up against any one out there.

Originally Posted by rvzio
Chuck I forgot to ask you if you used or needed any special tools for the seats. I think they came out very well. Nice job!
Yes you do. There is a tool that hooks onto the clips that attach to the seat cover and you use it to pull the clip through the foam and onto the wires on the back of the foam. You also need hog ring pliers. DO NOT BUY THE ECONOMY ONES! I cheaped out and bought the cheap pliers and they are horrible.

Originally Posted by oldgto
I recently did my seats with new foam, and the "leather-like" covers. Like you said, it was a real challenge getting them to slip over the top, but that trim piece was the WORST part of the whole job! Mine look a lot like yours(except in black)…. so I guess we did alright!
I started to rip the second cover getting it pulled over the back. I was not happy and some expletives were shouted for sure. Thankfully it was small and will be covered up by the trim around the button.
The following users liked this post:
SB64 (09-23-2018)
Old 09-24-2018, 03:44 PM
chazde3
Drifting

So Friday night I drove an hour and a half to pick up a set of electric window doors from someone parting out their '76 coupe project. They are in excellent condition other than the paint. I was able to get them installed yesterday, but need to do some adjusting to get them to fit better. Will also need to add the necessary wiring needed.

Name:  AWqiKiJh.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  103.9 KB

Name:  BjMtNY7h.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  112.7 KB

Also cleaned up the Pontiac steering wheel dad had been using and installed it. I think it will need to be wrapped in leather eventually though.

Name:  O4wWHpIh.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  93.0 KB

Last edited by chazde3; 10-12-2018 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Spending some time going through this thread and resizing all of my images. Hopefully that helps view everything easier.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

FYI, That is an Oldsmobile Sport steering wheel not Pontiac. Wheel Assembly You need the plunger, horn contact and button.

Also cleaned up the Pontiac steering wheel dad had been using and installed it. I think it will need to be wrapped in leather eventually though.

Last edited by Boiler_81; 10-13-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:59 AM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boiler_81
FYI, That is an Oldsmobile Sport steering wheel not Pontiac. Wheel Assembly You need the plunger, horn contact and button.
Thanks on the correction. I actually realized the mistake but never got around to fixing it.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:09 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey Chuck, thanks for the bump on facebook!
Old 10-17-2018, 04:40 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Spending some time going through this thread and resizing all of my images. Hopefully that helps view everything easier.
I had the same problem with mine Chuck.
It is amazing how many pictures you can accumulate during a build.
Keep the progress updates coming Chuck.
Looking good.
David
Old 11-09-2018, 03:30 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Originally Posted by David Howard
I had the same problem with mine Chuck.
It is amazing how many pictures you can accumulate during a build.
Keep the progress updates coming Chuck.
Looking good.
David
Thanks David!

Haven't put much work into the car lately. I did have it fired up the other night in the garage. It was good to hear the beast running. I am working on getting my tiny garage cleaned up some to make working on the car a little bit easier/nicer, but since winter is hitting the garage is starting to cool off pretty quickly. I am debating adding a ventless natural gas heater along one wall.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:07 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,258 Likes on 3,904 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Thanks David!

Haven't put much work into the car lately. I did have it fired up the other night in the garage. It was good to hear the beast running. I am working on getting my tiny garage cleaned up some to make working on the car a little bit easier/nicer, but since winter is hitting the garage is starting to cool off pretty quickly. I am debating adding a ventless natural gas heater along one wall.
Don't debate, I was given a kerosene mobile home heater and that thing is the nicest biggest upgrade to my life, I can go out to the barn and be toasty within a few minutes. Although lately I have been keeping it at 60 to keep the barn cat interested in staying out there to watch over the car. I Ihad the room I would put in a ceiling fan to keep the heat circulating

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 11-09-2018 at 06:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AllC34Me (11-11-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 04:32 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Thanks David!

You will be glad you added heat....just keep some fresh air coming into the closed garage.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:58 PM
chazde3
Drifting

So I have some electrical gremlins to work out apparently. I decided to test out the headlights/dash lights. I need to get new bulbs to really test this, but one high beam was working correctly, but only if I wiggled the floor dimmer switch, so I think that switch is bad. No dash lights were working at all. I checked and I had 2 blown fuses, the CTSY/CLK fuse blows instantly when trying to replace it which is not cool. I will have to poke around and see if a wire is hitting the sound deadener somewhere. I hate wiring.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:01 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,154 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Does anyone make a "fuse light"? It would temporarily replace a fuse. It would stay lit until the shorted wire is moved/wiggled enough to cause the fuse-light to go out.

Get notified of new replies

To Chazde3's '68 Vette Project

Old 11-12-2018, 10:26 PM
TM1400
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Something like this?

The following 3 users liked this post by TM1400:
AllC34Me (11-13-2018), doorgunner (11-16-2018), Rescue Rogers (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 05:36 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

That seems like a handy dandy tool to have!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:06 AM
chazde3
Drifting

The new dimmer switch and headlight bulbs did the trick. The headlights are working properly now. I am just waiting for the passenger side bulbs to come into the auto parts store later today. An added bonus was that the Sylvania replacement bulbs, although not having the glass nipple at the back like original bulbs, did have a clear spot that gives enough light for the fiber optic system to register. Pretty cool to see that working.

Name:  YsWTlSD.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  1.50 MB

I couldn't track the rest of the issues I was having yet unfortunately. I may have to look into a tester like what was posted a couple posts up. I found the little 5 amp instrument panel fuse blown as well. I replaced that and it didn't blow again, but the dash lights still weren't working. One thing I find odd is that if I short the driver's side courtesy lamp switch wires together like the door is open the footwell lights will come on. I would have assumed these wouldn't work with the courtesy fuse blown.

Quick Reply: Chazde3's '68 Vette Project