Sponsored by:

***DIY:Headlight and tail light LED halos***

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:31 AM
CPTCroaker
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Dino_'72
CPT, any idea if those Amazon Angel eyes are 3 watt or 5 watt units? Doesn't say in the ad. I see on eBay that vendors are offering both wattages, and also recall your comment on perhaps you'd like to tone down the brightness. Thanks.

I have no idea to be honest. I will probably leave the brightness alone as the LED brake light seems to shine through fine.

Originally Posted by taylor34
Unfortunately those are just as long of a wait as the ebay ones, lol. Having to wait over a month seems a little ridiculous for something that should be somewhat common. So since 90mm won't work, 80mm sounds like it should then. Then I could order something like these that will get here this week:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...it-board/1117/

Think mine took two weeks to arrive. I would just wait it out and get the one that you know you will be happy with. Just my $0.02
Old 03-17-2018, 07:14 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got my 85mm ones in finally and...they don't fit, lol. In fact I have two separate batches and none of them fit. If I took off the cover, they might fit. This seems weird because everyone else's fit.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:29 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

I just got my 85mm ones in finally and...they don't fit, lol. In fact I have two separate batches and none of them fit. If I took off the cover, they might fit. This seems weird because everyone else's fit.
Well, that sucks!!!

Have you measured the OD of the halos you have? I have some spare sets of the 85mm halos I used, I will dig them out and measure their OD tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2018, 08:46 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Well, that sucks!!!

Have you measured the OD of the halos you have? I have some spare sets of the 85mm halos I used, I will dig them out and measure their OD tomorrow.

With the cover they're like 87mm. I've figured out a work around though, I broke off part of the cover where it touched the screw holes in the housing and now it fits. I should be good to go now.

I did take apart the license plate light where everyone wires it, are people just using one of those blue wire 'taps' and then putting the other four wires in the other side of the tap? Or are they completely cutting the wire and then tying them all together?
Old 03-17-2018, 08:53 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

With the cover they're like 87mm. I've figured out a work around though, I broke off part of the cover where it touched the screw holes in the housing and now it fits. I should be good to go now.

I did take apart the license plate light where everyone wires it, are people just using one of those blue wire 'taps' and then putting the other four wires in the other side of the tap? Or are they completely cutting the wire and then tying them all together?
I cut and permanently spliced the wires for all 4 halos at the license plate light, and closer to the actual halos I used male/female bullet connectors so that I could still remove the tail lights.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

For what it's worth I had to relieve the plastic covers in the three areas where the screw were as well. A sanding drum on the dremel worked perfectly.

Being able to actually remove the pots is very important as 7t2 points out

I was already knee deep in the rear harness before this change so I went weatherpack and changed the bulb holders to center contact only style

M

Last edited by Mooser; 03-17-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:32 AM
Factor
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice work as always Moose!
Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Mooser
Race Director

just standing on the shoulders of giants

M
Old 03-18-2018, 11:01 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I just finished adding the LED halos to my tail lights and I love them!

The light on the left is an LED bulb that I already installed, so it is already significantly brighter than stock. I think I will try to add a spacer to the inner lights to separate the halo ring and the reverse light and get more definition.

Here it is all done

with the backup lights

with the brake lights

Here are the 80mm halos I used. (
Amazon Amazon
)
and the bulbs I used (
Amazon Amazon
).

I had to remove the plastic cover to make it fit under the inner lenses, so I just removed them for all four. I don't expect the LED halos to last very long based on how much I paid for them, but now it will be fairly easy to put higher quality ones in when I need.

Thanks all who posted and helped, especially 7t2!

Last edited by D_Williams; 03-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:33 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mooser
For what it's worth I had to relieve the plastic covers in the three areas where the screw were as well. A sanding drum on the dremel worked perfectly.

Being able to actually remove the pots is very important as 7t2 points out

I was already knee deep in the rear harness before this change so I went weatherpack and changed the bulb holders to center contact only style

M

How do you get that inside part out like that? Are there nuts on the backside that allow it to come out? If I could remove that it would make this thing a lot easier.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:38 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Those 2 studs you see in the picture go through the body and there are nuts on the inside, I believe one on each light also has the ground wire from the harness on it.

You can see one of the holes here, they are at like 5 and 11 o'clock

M

Last edited by Mooser; 03-18-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:03 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

For those of you who converted from two tail light + two reverse to 4 tail lights, how did you handle the housing? Like did you buy two of the housings for the tail lights to replace the reverse one? As it appears you need a different socket setup that doesn't appear to be available separately. I started to wire things up tonight when I realized that I should probably just convert to four brake lights, the halo going out the reverse lens just bleeds a little too much for my liking.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:21 AM
Mooser
Race Director

For the simplest and easiest way check post 28 on this thread and I think Bruce shows how he adjusted the bulb to use the stock housings. (I think)

I took the 1157 socket out of the housing and replaced it with an 1156 socket from another old GM set of lights we had laying around.
M
Old 03-21-2018, 07:23 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

For those of you who converted from two tail light + two reverse to 4 tail lights, how did you handle the housing? Like did you buy two of the housings for the tail lights to replace the reverse one? As it appears you need a different socket setup that doesn't appear to be available separately. I started to wire things up tonight when I realized that I should probably just convert to four brake lights, the halo going out the reverse lens just bleeds a little too much for my liking.
When I converted to 4 tail lights, I bought 2 of the proper housings and lenses. You could just change the existing wires for your reverse lights to work as just brake and turn signal lights and then you only have to buy the lenses......and I have no idea if tail light lenses fit on reverse housings. The only thing to remember is that you would have different bulbs in the housings; 1157 in the tail/brakes lights and 1156 in the former reverse lights.

You could also just swap sockets in your housing like Mooser has done. A quick google search shows you can buy just the sockets from multiple sources, this is the first one I found: https://www.customled.com/products/a...bayonet-socket

Last edited by 7t2vette; 03-21-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:31 AM
Mooser
Race Director

There you go, right answer right from the OP

The brake lenses do fit the reverse housings (at least on mine)
M
Old 03-21-2018, 09:01 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Well I started removing the reverse housings tonight to modify with a different socket when the post snapped off from rust, lol. So I guess I'm replacing the housings. They kind of need it anyways.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:34 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, so I'm making some headway here. Got all the parts in for the most part to make the 4 brake light switch, the last part is I need a led strip reverse light for the license plate. I look on Amazon and the web and all I could see were 100's of random ones that all seemed to be of questionable quality, lol. Did someone here have some luck with one brand or another that they'd recommend? The best one on amazon seems ok but kind of like the halo rings, people were worried about durability on it and having short circuit issues. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To ***DIY:Headlight and tail light LED halos***

Old 03-26-2018, 09:34 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok, so I'm making some headway here. Got all the parts in for the most part to make the 4 brake light switch, the last part is I need a led strip reverse light for the license plate. I look on Amazon and the web and all I could see were 100's of random ones that all seemed to be of questionable quality, lol. Did someone here have some luck with one brand or another that they'd recommend? The best one on amazon seems ok but kind of like the halo rings, people were worried about durability on it and having short circuit issues. Thanks
I searched eBay to find ones that fit my criteria; I wanted them to be as unobtrusive as possible, so I tried to find ones with a short height as the first qualifier. As shown in my pics earlier in this thread, I ended up using 3 led strips that were 3/4” tall and had clear bodies. They are some generic brand, but I have had no issues with them at all, and I achieved my unobtrusive goal.

In case the earlier pics do not show up because of the photofuckit debacle:

Last edited by 7t2vette; 03-26-2018 at 09:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
taylor34 (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 07:37 PM
Mooser
Race Director

What I've found (like the LED bulbs I used) is these come and go and what is available today may not be next month so when I did my reverse light I found something that I could make work for me and then I bought several sets so down the road if / when they die I have one on the shelf. Especially when the housing was made to fit the strips I didn't want to have to start over again just because that supplier disappeared
M

Last edited by Mooser; 03-26-2018 at 07:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
7t2vette (03-26-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 09:10 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mooser
What I've found (like the LED bulbs I used) is these come and go and what is available today may not be next month so when I did my reverse light I found something that I could make work for me and then I bought several sets so down the road if / when they die I have one on the shelf. Especially when the housing was made to fit the strips I didn't want to have to start over again just because that supplier disappeared
M

That is a very good point, and I have done the same by buying spares of the headlights, the front and rear halos, the rear turn/brake leds, and the strips I used for the reverse lights.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 03-26-2018 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: ***DIY:Headlight and tail light LED halos***