Sponsored by:

***DIY:Headlight and tail light LED halos***

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 02:56 PM
NAVY08
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I was doing some research for my project and I came across this thread linked from the "Cheap DIY Mods thread"

Then I saw it was originated in 2013, and I figured I was too late to the party... then I saw the most recent post was from today and the OP is still keeping at it.

7t2vette - You are the man. This forum is great because of people like you.

We are getting better customer service from you than I see from many vendors - and you aren't even profiting from this.
The following users liked this post:
7t2vette (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 06:03 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by NAVY08
I was doing some research for my project and I came across this thread linked from the "Cheap DIY Mods thread"

Then I saw it was originated in 2013, and I figured I was too late to the party... then I saw the most recent post was from today and the OP is still keeping at it.

7t2vette - You are the man. This forum is great because of people like you.

We are getting better customer service from you than I see from many vendors - and you aren't even profiting from this.

Since I am the originator of this thread, I see it as my duty to offer my assistance to anyone who needs it. I'm not in it for the glory or riches!!

Old 04-07-2018, 01:40 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm getting close to wrapping this up (finally, lol) and one of the last things is what to do with the backup socket wiring after the conversion. I've got this black end (with contact at the end) that used to go to the backup light socket but is just hanging there now. Obviously I need to do something with that end, what did everyone else do? Cut it off? Wrap it up in black tape? Thanks!
Old 05-08-2018, 08:50 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

So I finally got my car going (brakes weren't working, had to tow it into the shop) and finally got to drive it last night. Does anyone else have radio interference when the lights are on? I turned on my lights and my radio station cut out, then I turned them back off and the radio came back. Tried it a couple more times and yep, it's killing the radio. Did anyone have to put a noise filter somewhere?
Old 05-08-2018, 10:28 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by taylor34
So I finally got my car going (brakes weren't working, had to tow it into the shop) and finally got to drive it last night. Does anyone else have radio interference when the lights are on? I turned on my lights and my radio station cut out, then I turned them back off and the radio came back. Tried it a couple more times and yep, it's killing the radio. Did anyone have to put a noise filter somewhere?
The led lights themselves do not cause electrical noise issues, you have something else going on in your electrical system.

Old 05-09-2018, 12:07 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

The led lights themselves do not cause electrical noise issues, you have something else going on in your electrical system.

I'm about 99% sure the problem is the halo rings. I've had this car for 6 years with not one interference issue, and the second I turn on the lights now (turning on the halo's) the radio signal cuts out, turn the lights off it comes right back. It's the only change I've made to the lights. Luckily I think I can verify this by temporarily pulling the power to them.

Btw, it's not necessarily electrical noise on the wire, but RF noise interfering with the antenna.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:27 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm about 99% sure the problem is the halo rings. I've had this car for 6 years with not one interference issue, and the second I turn on the lights now (turning on the halo's) the radio signal cuts out, turn the lights off it comes right back. It's the only change I've made to the lights. Luckily I think I can verify this by temporarily pulling the power to them.

Btw, it's not necessarily electrical noise on the wire, but RF noise interfering with the antenna.
I started this thread 5yrs ago, and myself and dozens of others have done this to our cars, and you are the first person to report this happening. I have 4 headlight halos and 4 tail light halos, and they have never caused any issues with anything else. I am sceptical that the led halos are causing any EMI or RFI issues, but I’ve been surprised by things before. Exactly what led halos did you use? I’m curious to find out if the problem goes away with just the halos disconnected.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 7t2vette

I started this thread 5yrs ago, and myself and dozens of others have done this to our cars, and you are the first person to report this happening. I have 4 headlight halos and 4 tail light halos, and they have never caused any issues with anything else. I am sceptical that the led halos are causing any EMI or RFI issues, but I’ve been surprised by things before. Exactly what led halos did you use? I’m curious to find out if the problem goes away with just the halos disconnected.

It may just be the brand? Or maybe because I don't have any other filters in my radio setup? When I say I lose them all, I literally lose them all...the seek wraps all the way around, unable to find a station.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,219 Likes on 1,731 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

It may just be the brand? Or maybe because I don't have any other filters in my radio setup? When I say I lose them all, I literally lose them all...the seek wraps all the way around, unable to find a station.
If it is a "Retrosound" - yes, you could be having a problem with the LED's interfering.

And the only way to fix it- is replace the radio- as there are numerous threads on the web of EVERYTHING causing a problem with that radio.

Just do a Google search- "retrosound problem"
Old 05-10-2018, 07:37 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Richard454
If it is a "Retrosound" - yes, you could be having a problem with the LED's interfering.

And the only way to fix it- is replace the radio- as there are numerous threads on the web of EVERYTHING causing a problem with that radio.

Just do a Google search- "retrosound problem"
nooooooooooo....

I do have a retrosound
Old 05-10-2018, 07:38 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Or maybe I should say I now have a retro no sound, lol
Old 05-31-2020, 05:13 AM
jokeitch
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Making a post in this now legendary thread.
anyone have a current source for a good headlight sized and taillight sized LED ring?
there's a heap of options and i don't necessarily trust em.
the brighter and more uniform the light, the better

headlight revolution seems to have a pair in many sizes, but at $120 a pair and $240 a set, that's yikes
https://headlightrevolution.com/diod...ck-halos-pair/

also, located an alternative to a reflector housing, these are inexpensive PROJECTOR housings, $90 for a set of four that come with some crap halogen bulbs you can toss immediately. No idea how easy it'd be to pry these apart to put in a halo
https://www.octanelighting.com/5-34-...w-clear-1.html

Last edited by jokeitch; 05-31-2020 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:02 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jokeitch
Making a post in this now legendary thread.
anyone have a current source for a good headlight sized and taillight sized LED ring?
there's a heap of options and i don't necessarily trust em.
the brighter and more uniform the light, the better

headlight revolution seems to have a pair in many sizes, but at $120 a pair and $240 a set, that's yikes
https://headlightrevolution.com/diod...ck-halos-pair/

also, located an alternative to a reflector housing, these are inexpensive PROJECTOR housings, $90 for a set of four that come with some crap halogen bulbs you can toss immediately. No idea how easy it'd be to pry these apart to put in a halo
It looks like the exact LED halo rings I used are now hard to find. An eBay search did find several listing for both 126mm and 85mm units, all from China.....but that is where I sourced mine from, and they are still working perfectly more than 7yrs later.

This eBay listing for 85mm rings looks exactly like the ones I used:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/2Pcs-85mm-LE...9dxQBp&vxp=mtr

This eBay listing for 125mm rings look very similar to the ones I used; the differences are that they have some sort of device in the wiring harness and they are 1mm smaller in diameter:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/LED-Angel-Ey....c100008.m2219

Last edited by 7t2vette; 05-31-2020 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:31 PM
jokeitch
Pro

Trying to dig up sources for so called "HD" led halos, which use a coating of phosphor on the light scattering ring cover to remove the dashes between the individual LEDs of the rings, turning it into an unbroken ring of light.
the $120 diode dynamics ones do that but, well, $120
but i mean, lookit dat, pretty

panda motorworks has a set of four for $150 supposedly, https://www.pandamotorworks.com/prod...46a00884&_ss=r , a full $90 off a four set sounds good to me, although i question how legit this listing is

morimoto has good looking switchback 120mm halos as well, for $110 a pair, http://www.morimotohid.com/halos-pro...reselect=50180
although you can get the same ones for $90 from retrofit source so, there's that? https://www.theretrofitsource.com/ha...LOS?quantity=1
but reviews seem to be complaining that the morimotos have a more blue tint than their pictures let on, which is bad

it does seem like the industry, like many, has a huge gulf between really high quality american made stuff that's extremely spendy, and absolutely bottom of the barrel chinese stuff which won't last long

there's also a site which rates and ranks LED headlight bulbs, including putting them into reflector and projector housings and getting pics of their beam patterns which is an impressive level of detail
https://www.bulbfacts.com/led-kits/chart/

Last edited by jokeitch; 05-31-2020 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:35 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Good luck finding LEDs made in USA.

I've played around with NeoPixels, from Adafruit. They are surprisingly bright, and would make great taillights if you are wiling to modify the housing a bit. You could have red brake lights, amber turn signals, and white reverse lights, all in one housing. They need an Arduino to control them, and 5 VDC input. The large ring is in 4 sections, and works out to 6.2" OD, so just a bit big for a headlight halo, but how cool would it be to have selectable colors, and programmable motion.

Anyway, you might find something that works for you. They come on ribbon cables, too.
https://www.adafruit.com/category/168
Old 06-01-2020, 10:33 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

It doesn’t look like the correct sizes of 126mm and 85mm are available from any of the above posted links, unless I missed it when I looked.

If these were available when I was first thinking about making these headlights, I probably would have just bought them instead. These look like very high quality units compared to all the eBay and similar junk being sold; they are pricey but as with most things in life, you get what you pay for:

https://www.dapperlighting.com/products/575

As far as I know, there are still no LED halo tail lights commercially being sold, so those would still have to be homemade.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 06-01-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:02 PM
jokeitch
Pro

are 126/85 exactly what you need though?

it seems like, for the tail lights, 90mm would be too big as it'd impact the mounting holes but going a little smaller shouldn't negatively impact it?

same with the headlights, a little smaller shouldn't hurt

also, the dapper lighting set is all around great, but to get nice halos with good LED lights in a kit, the full set of four lights is over eight hundred bucks
if i do a little frankensteining i can do something very similar for less than half of that
https://www.pandamotorworks.com/prod...0884&_ss=r
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077B3SNJR/?coliid=IR5XJ9KOCPVIB&colid=1HJYUT964UB7V&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077B3SNJR/?coliid=IR5XJ9KOCPVIB&colid=1HJYUT964UB7V&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

of course i'd need to cut the buckets some and pop open the headlights to put the halos in, but that's it

Last edited by jokeitch; 06-01-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To ***DIY:Headlight and tail light LED halos***

Old 06-01-2020, 04:51 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

are 126/85 exactly what you need though?
126mm & 85mm are the largest you can go with the headlights I used and the 68-73 factory tail lights. Of course you could always go smaller with the halo rings.

I personally wanted the halo rings to be as big as possible:

Your results may vary.

Last edited by 7t2vette; 06-01-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-10-2020, 10:16 PM
jokeitch
Pro

so, those octane bulbs are fake projectors, good thing i only got one

aside from those i cannot for the life of me find someone selling a projector housing in a 5.75 bulb aside from dapper's $359 option
so it's back to reflectors...

the octane reflectors seem to have no beam pattern, so that would be glare city

but it looks like Hella headlights have a very nice beam cutoff pattern. That combined with good LED bulbs which can be rotated to find just the right beam pattern, might get what i want
Amazon Amazon

open question is, can those hella lamps be baked open? or do they use a "hard" adhesive that would have to be cut open?

of course the dark side option is get ebay special retrofit projector lenses, get some cheap clear lens 5.75s and throw the projector lens in there

Last edited by jokeitch; 06-10-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:46 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

so, those octane bulbs are fake projectors, good thing i only got one

open question is, can those hella lamps be baked open? or do they use a "hard" adhesive that would have to be cut open?

of course the dark side option is get ebay special retrofit projector lenses, get some cheap clear lens 5.75s and throw the projector lens in there.
Wow, fake projectors!!!!!

I have no idea if the Hella units will be assembled with the same type of adhesive as the units I used. The Hella units will be high-quality 5.75" reflectors with correct beam patterns. To be honest, I've never even checked the beam pattern on the headlights I used for this conversion!

The problem with most projectors will be the overall depth, but I suppose if you don't mind cutting the headlight housings anything is possible.

A few years ago I bought a full set of Hella 90mm classic projector modules, but they are still sitting on a shelf! I was going to completely abandon the 5.75" units in favour of the 90mm units. Still might, don't know. If you do a google search you will see these modules being retro fitted into many cars.

These are the modules:

Hella has many different types of these universal 90mm units including bi-xenon and led units. Check their web site.

This is a link to the classic modules I have:

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...adlamp-module/

Quick Reply: ***DIY:Headlight and tail light LED halos***