Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

You always do awesome work Bruce.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Originally Posted by STL Zombie Hunter
I've been looking for a tail light set up like this for quite some time. Great job and excellent documentation!!
A question I do have, what about your reverse lights? I see you have the halos around your inner most lenses and an 1157 bulb wired for your brake. Did you just bypass the reverse hot lead and substitute a brake lead?

I'm contemplating adding the halo to my reverse lens and using the 1156 LED for a back up lamp and keeping the outer 2 lamps as brake / turn.
I just finished doing this to mine. I installed red Angle Eyes inside my backup housings and kept the 1156s for the backup lamps. Since they are single-function, I chose to wire them in parallel with my brake/turn signals for maximum effect. They are a little different since the red around the backups are actually reflectors instead of lenses, but they still look really good.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

And fantastic work 7t2vette! If you don't mind, I'm also gonna borrow your headlight ideas in the near future.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:59 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 234 Likes on 143 Posts
Toronto Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Trae1976
And fantastic work 7t2vette! If you don't mind, I'm also gonna borrow your headlight ideas in the near future.
Thanks!

I don't mind at all if everyone copies my ideas.

This forum has alwas been about helping each other, and sharing ideas and information.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
74Ken
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Trae1976
I just finished doing this to mine. I installed red Angle Eyes inside my backup housings and kept the 1156s for the backup lamps. Since they are single-function, I chose to wire them in parallel with my brake/turn signals for maximum effect. They are a little different since the red around the backups are actually reflectors instead of lenses, but they still look really good.
pics please!!!
I like the idea of keepint the backup lights too.

Ken
Old 04-11-2013, 08:31 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Canadian Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 7t2vette
Thanks!

I don't mind at all if everyone copies my ideas.

This forum has always been about helping each other, and sharing ideas and information.

Isn't it also rewarding to come up with an idea and keep it to yourself, so that your car is unique?
Old 04-11-2013, 09:03 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AGVI
Isn't it also rewarding to come up with an idea and keep it to yourself, so that your car is unique?
Yup, it sure is!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Originally Posted by 74Ken
pics please!!!

Ken
I'm working on that. Was gonna shoot a few last night, but the weather was a bit uncooperative. I'll try again tonight.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:07 AM
STL Zombie Hunter
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Trae, looking forward to seeing those pics.

7t2, what type of flasher are you using to compensate for the load variances?
Old 04-13-2013, 09:49 AM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

I am using a regular type of flasher, just the electronic version. It works fine as long as I keep regular incandescent lamps in my front & rear side marker lights and front indicator lights. When I put LEDs in the front indicator lights, the flasher doesn't work properly. I am currently working on a really cool LED swap for the front indicator lights, and I will have to address the flasher issue at some point.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:46 AM
STL Zombie Hunter
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

I've had similar issues when changing my front T'S to LED. They are really dim and don't work too well. I did put LED in all my corner marker lights and it looks pimp! Red LeDs in rear and yellows up front.
Any idea on how to remove speedo & tach? I replaced my center gauge bezel lights to LED. Awesome!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

I've had similar issues when changing my front T'S to LED. They are really dim and don't work too well. I did put LED in all my corner marker lights and it looks pimp! Red LeDs in rear and yellows up front.
Any idea on how to remove speedo & tach? I replaced my center gauge bezel lights to LED. Awesome!
I've been thinking about swapping out the dash and gauge lamps for LEDs, but to be honest I really don't want to pull it all out to do it!!!!

Been there, done that, when I did the body-off restoration to the car. If I ever have to go back there again for any reason, I might consider swapping them then....but, are they actually any brighter than the regular lamps?

Old 04-16-2013, 08:46 PM
STL Zombie Hunter
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Yes. They appear light blue in comparison to the yellow filament style. So far I have the center gauge bezel lights swapped and the speedo w/ green for L signal indicator & blue for high beam.

Just picked up my new flasher today. I'll put it in once it gets above 40 outside.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Originally Posted by 74Ken
pics please!!!
Ken
Trae, looking forward to seeing those pics.
Okay, I finally got a few pics together. So as not to muddy up 7t2vette's thread, I started a new thread.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM
BurgerMan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another impressive effort, as usual. Nicely done.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Default LED Halo and Sylvania Headlights

7T2Vette:

Great detailed write up. I'm going to do your exact mods on my "65 StingRay. I especially like the way did the front lights - very impressive.
And your advice about the relay's from Mad Electrical was right on. I bought his relays last year. So now I will be able to put in the Sylvania headlights with the LED Halo.
In the rear, like you said my tail light lenses may be too small for a halo but I will attempt it anyway.

Thanks again,
Wayne
65-StingRay
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM
65-StingRay
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Halo headlights with Sylvania lamps

7t2vette;Bruce,

65-StingRay here. I don't know if you have seen my last message in your headlight thread. Anyway I really like how you did your halo headlights.
So if you you don't mind I'd like to copy them.
I've ordered almost all the same parts including the headlights you used but the hurdle I am up against is - what part number did you use for your Sylvania head lamps (bulbs). I know you mentioned H4 and H1. Did you use the newer zXe lamps. What I also need to know - did you have to make a pigtail adapter with 2 varying connectors to connect the headlight plug with the lamp prongs or was it a simple plug and play. I've looked at a few of the lamps on the net but they don't look like they would work.

Maybe while my brain is still in gear you could tell me how long it took to heat and separate the glass from the back casing so you could glue in the led halo.

Bruce, thanks in advance for any help.
I know I e-mailed you personally and you can return to me in kind but if just post the answer to my questions in your headlight thread that may be better for others as well.

654-StingRay
Wayne

Get notified of new replies

To ***DIY:Headlight and tail light LED halos***

Old 05-08-2013, 09:14 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BurgerMan
Another impressive effort, as usual. Nicely done.
Thanks dude!!
Old 05-08-2013, 09:32 PM
7t2vette
The ORIGINAL and bestest
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 65-StingRay
7t2vette;Bruce,

65-StingRay here. I don't know if you have seen my last message in your headlight thread. Anyway I really like how you did your halo headlights.
So if you you don't mind I'd like to copy them.
I've ordered almost all the same parts including the headlights you used but the hurdle I am up against is - what part number did you use for your Sylvania head lamps (bulbs). I know you mentioned H4 and H1. Did you use the newer zXe lamps. What I also need to know - did you have to make a pigtail adapter with 2 varying connectors to connect the headlight plug with the lamp prongs or was it a simple plug and play. I've looked at a few of the lamps on the net but they don't look like they would work.

Maybe while my brain is still in gear you could tell me how long it took to heat and separate the glass from the back casing so you could glue in the led halo.

Bruce, thanks in advance for any help.
I know I e-mailed you personally and you can return to me in kind but if just post the answer to my questions in your headlight thread that may be better for others as well.

654-StingRay
Wayne
Wayne, sorry I didn't see your last post until now.

I used the Sylvania Silverstar zXe H4 lamps for the low beams, and they plug right into the stock harness plug. Here is a pic of the H4 lamp:

Name:  4664f306.jpg
Views: 7035
Size:  96.4 KB

I used regular (non zXe) Sylvania Silverstar H1 lamps for the high beams, and I simply plugged the male spade ends into the harness plug. I can't remember if I made the adaptor leads, or if they came with the headlight. Here is a pic of the H1 lamp adaptor leads:

Name:  1af7b297.jpg
Views: 7108
Size:  93.9 KB

As for the time heating the headlight to remove the glass, it doesn't take very long. I used a heat gun, moving it around the headlight for awhile, then trying to pry it apart gently. Just did it several times until it came apart easily. Use gentle pressure, and use a plastic tool!! After it was apart, I continued to use the heat gun to heat up the remaining adhesive on both the reflector and lens to soften it so I could remove it all.

Resist the temptation to use anything made of metal for any part of this! It is so easy to break the glass lens, and/or scratch the metal reflector!

Post some pics when you are done!

Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 PM
79CalShark
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent work! I want to see and hear more

Quick Reply: ***DIY:Headlight and tail light LED halos***