Sponsored by:

2013 Corvette roadtrip through Italy (Tuscany), day-by-day diary

Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Beginning on 5:59 you can see our start on the Racetrack in Modena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=nA7YfnISCGA#!

Last edited by Roma; 05-20-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Stroh
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks again for sharing version 2... Fantasy drives like this will come my way only through your links and threads. I'll send a northern Michigan thread later in the summer,but as beautiful as it is here, it's nothing like Italy.

enjoy your hopefully safe trip!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

First of all, thank you all for the kind comments. . Sharing stories and pictures on this forum is a true joy. And the story continues:

Day 4 - Pisa and Lucca

Today was a day to relax. From Lucca to Pisa it’s only 15 miles so it was not a day with lots of driving.

Instead we put our tourist dress on. My personal fashion recommendation: sandals, black socks, shorts and a loud shirt. Works like a charm if you want to attract the attention of the flying salesmen in the Pisa parking lots selling genuine Ray Bans, Rolex watches and Louis Vuitton bags at a bargain.

But first, we had to parade our Corvettes through the city gates passing tourists who pointed their cameras away from the tower to our convoy.

Then it was getting out of the cars and do some walking. Pisa is of course flooded with tourists. Still, the place is majestic. The most famous building is the "Leaning Tower Of Pisa". I learned a few things about it.

It didn't tilt until somtime into its construction, because the ground was too soft on one side. Construction began in the 12th century and it took more than 300 years to complete. The angle of slant is almost 4°. In the past 15 years, the tower was gradually straightened a little bit because it threatened to tumble over. Still, when you step into it and walk the spiral stairs, you feel drunk even though its only 10 in the morning.

The view over the ancient city is simply stunning.

On the way back we visited downtown Lucca which is quiet a contrast. The old city walls are still completely intact. For a time, they were used as a race track for cars!!

We didn't do that with our Corvettes eventhough this sounded tempting. Instead we ate ice cream and enjoyed the sunny spring afternoon. Soon it was time for dinner. This time, we met at the pool of an old mansion turned restaurant. With the now traditional Aperol Sprizz in hand, we enjoyed fine food and chatted about what we had seen today.

The Corvette menu for tonight:

Desert: Mousse au chocolat with a dried orange and Prosecco.

That last glass of Prosecco must have gone to our heads. We (the C3 guys and girls) walked back to the hotel together later that night.

When we came to the parking lot, Markus found a Mercedes hub cup lying on the ground. This gave us ideas...

We all love the C6. Still, there's always room for improvment, right?

So under lot's of giggles and looking around if anybody would see us, we... well, look for yourself:

The result, mounted with great pride and workmanship:

Laughing ourselves to sleep we wondered what tomorrow would bring.

Have a great day, Martin
Old 05-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Roma
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

A better video from the racetrack

Last edited by Roma; 05-23-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Day 5 – On The Path of Twighlight
After the visits to Lucca and Pisa with its Leaning Tower it was time to pack up again and our convoy moved to a new region. Looking back, this was my favorite part of the whole trip. Bear with me and you’ll understand why. First let’s glance at the map again. The route we took was “only” about 100 miles. The average speed however was only about 20-30 mph. No, we didn’t put Valium in our gas – the scenic back roads often didn’t allow high speeds. It was great way to enjoy the landscape with its villages and rolling hills.

First the challenge of packing. Others managed this much better than we did but somehow we were always able to squeeze the top down anyway. On the luggage rack we carried two folding chairs and a sunshade we never used.

On the back lid you can see the GoPro camera. On this day we used it to make time laps pictures for a video. It’s great because it captures the “action” much better than a regular camera.

Leaving the coastal region meant also a lot less traffic, smaller villages and relaxed driving.

We reached Volterra before lunch. Does this name ring a bell? If so, you’ve probably seen Twighlight – A New Dawn. You haven’t? Then you don’t have daughters of a certain age. The town center was the location for the pivotal scenes of the movie.

We didn’t feed on blood like Twighlight vampires but rather on Chianti wine and a great lunch in a hotel overlooking the valley.

Then came (for me) the best part: The owner of the hotel was a good friend of the major. We would be allowed to drive our Corvettes right onto the historic town square which was otherwise completely closed for cars.

The Carabinieri (Italian Police) watched and directed us – we felt like V.I.P.s. As soon as we had parked the cars, locals and tourists alike stormed the place to watch.

Instead of a spare wheel I had my video drone stuffed into its space.

(Photo by Robert)

This was the perfect opportunity to finally let it fly.

(Picture by Rita and Markus)

This is a still picture of the aerial video I made with it. The unit is controlled with an iPhone and I can see with it through the video lens of the drone. I’m thinking of attaching the GoPro camera for my next flights to get better quality footage. Still, it was fun to fly it over the town square.

We took the time to explore Volterra on foot and I fell in love with the city. Looking down from the city walls there was a Roman amphitheater.

Some impressions from Volterra

Gelati (Ice Cream) is unbelievably tasty in Italy. Much better than at home.

When I got back to our car, there were about 30-40 kids aged about 9 or 10 standing around. When I walked up to the car and they realized it was mine, they started chatting me up in Italian. I threw up my arms, not understanding. They started whispering among each other and then this skinny kid walked up and asked me in English “Areh Youu Riiich Man?” I had to laugh out loud and replied “no”. To which they shook their heads in disbelieve.

The people in general were all exceptionally nice and I never got as many thumbs up as in Italy.
We finally left Volterra for the last leg to the “Hotel Belvedere in San Leonino”, near Siena. The challenge in all hotel rooms was a) getting wireless and b) finding enough power outlets for all the electronic gizmos we carried around.

Beer and Aperol Sprizz in hand we met on the patio and enjoyed a great evening. The next morning would meet one of us with a technical challenge – Robert’s 69 would shift only in 3rd and 4th gear just before we had arrived in the hotel. Would we be able to fix it?
Next episode coming soon…

Martin
Old 05-23-2013, 05:16 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Love your running albums. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 PM
turbojet
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a trip of a life time. Cool
Old 05-25-2013, 07:39 AM
minesweeper
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default View from inside a C4

Old 05-25-2013, 07:44 AM
minesweeper
Cruising

Default And from outside a C6 in round three was faster than my blue C4 convertible

of course only my package on luggage-rack cost me the victory
Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 AM
minesweeper
Cruising

notyfy: the date on the Youtube-video inside a C4 is wrong the real date was 05112013
Old 05-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Hi Bernd

Thanks for the contribution. Cool video.

Martin
Old 05-25-2013, 09:02 AM
minesweeper
Cruising

You´re welcome .... it was a great trip, hope next time we will start to hungary to Budapest ( hungaroring) with an stopp in vienna

And I will have an Hero3 camera with me, they take amazing pictures !!!

Last edited by minesweeper; 05-25-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:14 PM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Old 06-02-2013, 08:10 PM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

New Swiss friends on the "Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour" Arlington Texas to Concord , N.Carolina I'm wearing my Switzerland lanyard holding my ID for the trip now...
Old 04-10-2014, 03:56 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Finally the Video is done:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Corvette roadtrip through Italy (Tuscany), day-by-day diary