C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling to Forum Member with Zero Posts - safe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 05:09 AM
AAJC
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just bought a Qjet in the US via a forum member (not this forum). I had never posted on that forum either.
He sent it to me in Brisbane Australia & said "if the carby was exactly the one I wanted, I could the pay him via his wifes Paypal".
He sent it & waited for my reply.
All went smooth. I paid him.
It restored my faith that there are still honest people out there.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers from Aus

Andrew
Old 05-02-2013, 01:43 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im guessing the lack of posts is an issue? Similar to a new member trying to sell a car they have just bought or been given etc.

Perhaps he saw the part for sale then joined up to buy it? ( EDIT, see he has been a member since 30th Oct 2012 )

What you guys (US ) have to remember, whilst parts are easy to come by over there, costs on the other side of the pond can be prohibitive.

I have a couple of people who help me out with shipping costs etc. I buy parts over there, have them shipped to my friends who then post them on to me. Its just cheaper that way.

Ive bought 3 Corvettes and a 69 VW Karmann Ghia from the States and it all comes down to trust in the end.

If you are sent the money by whichever method, once its in your hand, send the part.

Last edited by jotto; 05-02-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:00 PM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Jotto! !!! Hope all is well with you and yours.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM
Stingray-Jer
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmagrath
Yes, because all us foreigners are just dying to rip you off.

No. Because I don't have any recourse if someone does steal from me. I do have recourse here in the states.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Bagpype
Racer

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
And if he uses paypal.. it's a no go... Tim there is a reason I say this.. Shipping to a non confirmed address is an issue if there is a problem. But if it's oversea's it creates an entire new set of rules..
Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 PM
mrmagrath
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray-Jer
No. Because I don't have any recourse if someone does steal from me. I do have recourse here in the states.
How can they steal from you if you get the money up front? Unfortunately, and this is no reflection on anyone on the forum, I know more people taken in by Americans, than the other way around. Myself included. There's going to be crooks all over the world. Just don't tar us all with the same brush is all I'm saying.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,
I too live outside the U.S , and i must say its hard to deal with some people as they rightly believe that they are about to be the recipient of a scam . I would think the same way too if i was a seller .

However i would insist on holding onto the goods until such times as the money was definitely in my bank account . I use pay pal to pay guys in the states , and have problems with guys who dont ship overseas or dont want to sell to international buyers because it involves shipping .

Most times i will ask that the goods be sent to a contact in Florida who generally ships most of the parts i require and organizes parts for me as well . If the guy has such a contact it shouldnt be a problem to get some background information such as , how long have you known the person , how much business has the person done and most importantly how well have they paid . Any zero's on the above questions means walk away , or get the money firmly in the bank for a week or so before shipping . I personally dont have a problem if a guy asks to wait a week or so before shipping , so he can make sure the money has cleared .

Maybe the pay pal system needs some tighter security !! i am not sure totally how secure it is , but i use it and have had no problems as a buyer !! I would maybe ask paypal what securities they have in place that help prevent you getting ripped off . They have to know if the guy has had a paypal account for a while or its just been opened !!

I understand Boston Camaro's dilema and is it really worth all the hassle for a few bucks that you sure as hell will get in the states guaranteed !!! I think a vette guy will always try to help a vette guy out , but not if he is going to lose money . If the feeling is you want to help a fellow vette enthusiast out then see what checks you can do first . Me in Boston Camaro's shoes , keep the parts till i have all my money , dont agree to laying out shipping costs with the promise of another paypal transfer . Do one deal full costs included , one paypal transfer , send the item .

Just my 5 cents

John

Originally Posted by Aussie79vette
I don't see a problem if all of your costs are covered and the money is in your bank.
It would actually show good faith on his part as he would have more to lose than you.

Make sure the cost for shipping to the California from your house is paid up front.

I have shipped a 200R myself using a shipping address in LA and it worked fine
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM
markids77
Melting Slicks

The issue many vendors have with PayPal has nothing to do with the safety, convenience or instant availability of funds. The issue is PayPal's buyer protection policy which allows an unscrupulous individual to dispute the purchase, either by claiming non-receipt, damage, or "substantially not as described". This immediately freezes the disputed amount in the seller's account and PayPal ALWAYS sides with the buyer. Probably 99 percent of purchasers are great people who share our hobby, but I have personally been burned twice this way, so if I send overseas any more I require a non-refundable type of payment, and have the purchaser arrange transport beyond US shores.

No reflection on any one in particular... just a way to avoid getting stung.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:01 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

i do think it is a scam, yesterday got email saying i have forwarded the money to your paypal etc....well i never gave him address for it
Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM
SuperBuickGuy
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by BOSTONCAMARO
i do think it is a scam, yesterday got email saying i have forwarded the money to your paypal etc....well i never gave him address for it
^^^ that is why we lump all foreigners in the same basket.

still, I ship overseas - it's very straightforward, they pay, it clears, I send the part. The person who has to trust is the poor bloke sending the cash, because if the person on this end doesn't do what's promised; the bloke is SOL because it'll cost more to enforce in court than whatever they bought (presuming they win).
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 AM
jakvette
Racer

Hi ,
Sorry that you have fallen prey to the unscrupulous people that haunt every walk of society .
I fully understand and agree with your statement regarding the operation of pay pal and if the buyer is an honest legitimate buyer who genuinely needs or wants to purchase goods from a person he too will agree to the sellers terms , such as a wire transfer or other method if pay pal is not acceptable .

From my point of view i have bought many items for my vettes and also items not related to cars , via my pay pal account , but by the same token i have had many an ebay bid cancelled by a seller and even had a seller write to me accusing me of operating a scam .

I think for all the right reasons overseas buyers get treated with a certain amount of distrust . I will and i am sure all those people who are genuine buyers will agree to any reasonable request the buyer has regarding payment of the funds .

I am very street wise and can spot a scam from a million miles , you have to be living in South Africa , but scamming is not unique to this country or any country in particular . Boston Camaro was 100% correct in his opinion he was being scammed , my view is there are ways of finding out if the person is genuine and other alternatives of achieving a result that benefits both parties , even if the buyer is outside of the USA .

I am glad Boston Camaro didnt get caught , and sorry that you have . Its a sick society we live in when people knowingly set out to defraud good people .

John

Originally Posted by markids77
The issue many vendors have with PayPal has nothing to do with the safety, convenience or instant availability of funds. The issue is PayPal's buyer protection policy which allows an unscrupulous individual to dispute the purchase, either by claiming non-receipt, damage, or "substantially not as described". This immediately freezes the disputed amount in the seller's account and PayPal ALWAYS sides with the buyer. Probably 99 percent of purchasers are great people who share our hobby, but I have personally been burned twice this way, so if I send overseas any more I require a non-refundable type of payment, and have the purchaser arrange transport beyond US shores.

No reflection on any one in particular... just a way to avoid getting stung.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:32 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

the username on here is 69 Roadster or Roadster 69...they posted in my thread about the bumper for sale

have not heard from him/then since I told them I wasnt interested
Old 05-03-2013, 05:32 PM
jotto
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blueray72
Jotto! !!! Hope all is well with you and yours.
All good here!

Send my regards to the NorCal crew.....
We are coming over to Seattle in July but unfortunately wont make it any further south.....
Need to get over for the big cruise.

( sorry to Hijack the thread. )

Quick Reply: Selling to Forum Member with Zero Posts - safe?