Engine Detail Advice/Instruction

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 07:03 PM
amramir
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine Detail Advice/Instruction

Hi C3 Friends,

I want to clean and detail out my 1968 427 engine and compartment. I have never done this before and don't know what to protect and what can get wet etc. Does anyone have some instructions or advice for me.

I just don't want to end up like this...

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

If the car is the real deal...as in original engine, documented, etc...then you should think carefully about where you want to take it from it's present condition. Original 427 cars have the potential to increase in value more than other C3s, provided they are unrestored or correctly restored. It is your car and your money and you are certainly free to do whatever you want...but don't start rattle can painting anything until you have somebody knowledgeable take a look at it. Join the NCRS and find a local chapter person to help you.

If all you are going to do is clean...the best cleaner to use is Spray Nine...easy on the car and your skin. Protect the carb barrel and the distributor cap. Rinse well. Prepare to see the rust appear.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 05-05-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Think through these alternatives and pick the approach that seems right for you:

1) Prepare everything as it was when it came from the factory. This is a BIG undertaking. Just determining how all fasteners were plated; how painted items were done and with what paint and what color; how to maintain appearance of bare metal parts so they don't rust/corrode in just a few weeks. You need to have deep pockets and lots of time to make this one happen. Contact NCRS and become a member; get their judging manual and read all material they publish and/or recommend to help you.

2) Make your car "appear" to be in stock condition, but put protective paints/coatings on all metal parts so that they do not rust/corrode and they will not require regular maintenance. This is what many folks do that have no intent on getting the car judged at NCRS or National Chevy Association events. This also takes some time, as all fasteners must be cleaned before they are painted appropriate metal color or with clearcoat to protect them. But, you can go with hardware store fasteners if you need to replace something. Readily available rattle can paints can be used, if carefully selected to do the intended job. Several folks on the CF can advise you on appropriate paint/color choices. {This is the approach I selected.}

3) Clean everything, then paint it all semi-flat (or satin) black. I include this choice because there are LOTS of folks who do this. Initially, the appearance of the engine compartment is 'better' that NOT being cleaned up. But, when you see how other cars look when they are done appropriately, you will wish you had not gone this route. Or, you will then decide that you want to go with choice #1 or 2 and have to remove all the black paint from wiring/hoses/etc. etc

4) Clean everything, then let your artistic side take you where no C3 dude has gone before! Some really fantastic engine compartments have evolved from this approach. It is more akin to building a custom car than a stock one. But, your creative side can just 'do its thing'.

For all of these alternatives, you will need to clean everything first. And, I will highly recommend that the engine be pulled for this process to be efficient. You CAN accomplish a clean engine compartment without pulling the engine; but your work will be easier in the long run if you do.

Also plan on rebuilding all of your accessory components while you're at it (starter, alternator, P/S components/ A/C compressor/etc). This will allow you to be certain that these items are 'good to go' for many years AND allow you to clean and paint them all, too.

Last edited by 7T1vette; 05-06-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Keep the carburetor and distributor dry.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Detail Advice/Instruction

Quick Reply: Engine Detail Advice/Instruction