Sponsored by:

Carpet Placement / Fitment Panel Behind Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:42 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Carpet Placement / Fitment Panel Behind Seats

Ok, so my carpet install is coming along, the rear is about done, now I am just start to check out the carpet that goes behind the rear seats. I wonder how far up it should sit and if it should wrap over this flat panel and sit under the front edge of the storage compartment door frame?

I have checked the AIM and really didnt have much luck.

Please see the pictures below and advise, thanks, Tim

The red lines indicate the edges in this picture:

Here is the edge of where the storage door will sit, does this carpet run down the inside back of the panel behind the seats and sit under the edge?

Laying the carpet in different ways, at different heights on the panel

Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The seat riser carpet has to be long enough to cover the rear edges of the floor carpets. Start there and go up and over the riser.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:43 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

thanks! I am going to lay the fronts in to get some ideas...

this thread is great, but again cant tell if the flaps of the riser are to tuck in?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...journey-7.html

I took this from the above thread...

Last edited by BOSTONCAMARO; 05-07-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi bc,
The carpet does need to cover the rear edges of the 2 front floor carpets as Mike said.
If it's cut properly it needs to extend over the top of the steel seat bulkhead and down just far enough for the carpets edge to be held by the 3 compartment frame.
When in this position the carpet needs to be trimmed so the left and right ends can tuck down between the back-side of the steel bulhead and the front surface of the fiberglass wheel wells. I used a plastic putty knife to help push/force the bulkhead piece down behind the bulkhead itself.
It takes a bit of fitting and careful trimming but is easy compared to the wheel wells.
Regards,
Alan

You can see the seam between the bulkhead piece and the compartment floor piece.

Here I've taped the bulkhead piece in place to hold it from moving so the
3 compartment frame can be pushed down into position to hold the carpet. I tested how much tape I could use so it wouldn't be seen when the frame is in place.

Here the wheel well carpet is in place but not the bulkhead carpet.

Here's where the bulkhead ended up on my car. It will vary from car to car and depend on how the carpet is cut.

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-07-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:15 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

Alan and the rest of you guys, thanks! Because I'm right at this point on the 74' and this is all very, very helpful!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:24 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

thanks guys...and Alan I one upped you in only one way...I have black duct tape that I am using!

haha
Old 05-14-2013, 09:19 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

More pictures....seems that the passenger side front carpet is quite long when it gets to the area behind the front seats, it seems that it would go about halfway up. I have the pass front just sitting in there, it dropped right into the floor wells and ends right at the heater box under the dash, does it need to go up further?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:22 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Panel just sitting in place for fitmet

Red arrow showing how much length of carpet there is on passenger side front, how it would travel up the panel behind seat.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi BC,
The front footwell carpet needs to be long enough that the rubber plugs hold it well,(that the plugs aren't too near the top edge.
You can trim the rear of the foot well carpet to suit yourself.
BUT... be CAREFUL at the CORNER where the footwell carpet turns to start up along the transmission tunnel. It's VERY easy to trim too much at that corner and have a little bit of fiberglass under body exposed when you put the e-brake console in place.
You also may need to trim the footwell carpet where it slips up under the shifter and e-brake consoles. If the carpet extends too far under the consoles it spreads the console apart and makes fitting them more difficult.
Regards,
Alan

You can see here how much my footwell carpet extends up the bulkhead.
How far it goes depends somewhat on how far the bulkhead carpet drapes down.

Last edited by Alan 71; 05-14-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little after the fact but I did find a photo of my carpet install of the back bulkhead. The only real trimming was the piece behind the rear storage compartment.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:03 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

thanks guys, yeah I just layed it in there and it was right up to where the plugs need to be installed, even with it like that, it is very long up the back, I will be doing a lot of fitting before any trimming, thanks for the tips and pictures

how about in the area of the kick panels.....? seems maybe some trimming there
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Roco71
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This photo is probably not a big help and it may very from different suppliers but mine needed very little trimming if any other than the back.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi BC,
Yes, I had do some trimming in the area of the kick panels.
If there's too much excess carpet the kick panel doesn't want to 'seat' well enough to get the forward retaining screw in place.
Regards,
Alan
Old 05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on my 72 I had to trim all around on basically every piece. On the area behind the seats... I trimmed around the parking brake / arm rest and got it where I was happy then glued the large flat upright area in place and let it dry and then went back and finished trimming and fitting the rear quarter panel and cargo space areas. It seemed to work well doing it this way.

hope that helps,

Sully
Old 05-14-2013, 02:37 PM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

yeah seems like I am going to have to trim down the pass side rear portion of the front carpet...

also on the carpet going up the flat panel I will need to notch for the console mount, but for now, until the 3 compartment storage is actually screwed in place, dont want to trim there, I made a little cut on either side of the console mount, just to sit it in place. I did have the storage compartment frame fit in place already..

Thanks Sully and Roco......also, Alan...is your rear carpet original? I think someone mentioned that in a thread...on the driverside of my car, seem I need to trim the carpet a bit in order to get the flap of the rear to go down behind the bulkhead in the area of the wires, that metal line and where an antenna cable would be if I had one.

What is that metal line anyway? some type of washer fluid squirter? a drain? I have not consulted my AIM on this yet...

Last edited by BOSTONCAMARO; 05-14-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Sully1882
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think that metal line is for the Vacuum to the astro vents in the rear deck, your car must not have come from the factory with A/C, right?

Sully
Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi BC,
I had 2 different manufactures carpet and was un happy with it, (for how it would Flight Judge), so I did put my original wheelhouse, rear compartment floor, and 3 lid pieces back in.
On both the repro sets the front of the wheelhouse carpet needed to be trimmed, and the ends of the bulkhead piece needed to be trimmed too, in order to get them to slip down into the 'space' between the bulkhead and the fiberglass wheel house.
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-19-2013, 09:48 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Ok, so I am back on my carpet, doing the passenger side front and as mentioned it lays in perfect, the center floor hump under seat, lays in perfect, goes right up to edge of heater box under dash, also laid it in under vent that is in the center of car at the front of the transmission tunnel, thing is, it is definitely cut way long in the rear, it comes almost all the way up the panel behind the front seats...I am thinking I should cut it to sit the same height in regards to the panel as the driver side front carpet does...

please see the pictures, offer your thoughts, thanks!

This shows overhang to go under sill and where it lays in on center floor hump below seat
Old 06-19-2013, 09:52 AM
BOSTONCAMARO
Melting Slicks

Goes halfway up opening where kick panel sets in, I am thinking this will need trimming, after I put in seatbelts, mount console etc???

Where it meets heater box, didn't install retaining / carpet plugs yet, but fits good

Overlap at console / e brake, likely will need to trim this too?

Red arrow indicates t top chrome hold down in rear, this gives an idea of how far up the front carpet comes up the panel behind the seat

Another perspective, used my hand, gives you good idea...I am thinking I definitely have to cut this carpet down

Another shot of the floor hump

At rocker / sill

Get notified of new replies

To Carpet Placement / Fitment Panel Behind Seats

Quick Reply: Carpet Placement / Fitment Panel Behind Seats