C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1971; How did Rain Water get in my Gas Tank?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 AM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 546 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by jesse10886
dropping the tank is not hard. It does not require the removal of anything other than the spare tire/tire pan. Then just unbolt the two straps if the tank is empty it can be pulled out painlessly in a hour taking your time. took the tank out of my buddys 69 vert a few weeks ago to have it blasted and recoated on the inside. the only prob we had was we put the new sending unit in before mount and broke it. put the tank in first then the sending unit. it is probly in need of a good cleaning and new strap pads due to its age anyway would be a good weekend project
You have to remove the mufflers and pipes on most cars, in addition to the spare tire pan. It can be fussy to maneuver the tank to get it out. I've done it on two cars. To pull a tank out have it blasted and recoated on the inside...my opinion is not a good idea. A new Quanta reproduction duplicate made in the US tank is a little over $200. When I started to remove my 70 tank, it didn't leak. By the time i got it out, the vibration, etc of removing it caused several pin holes of rust to open up. Rust had seriously reduced the thickness of the tank. I got rid of the tank.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1971; How did Rain Water get in my Gas Tank?