Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being fooled again in liking it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 AM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Am I being fooled again in liking it?

Hello. Knock knock, me again. The guy that can't get his ducks in a row regarding a C3 vette. But I am LEARNING!!!!!!

Well, as I say these 1971 corvettes seem to come in waves on the market. I don't know why but they just do. I found this one as well.

I have looked at the pics carefully and I see the following. Yes I try to do my homework.

For starters the car "LOOKS" beautiful!!!!!!!!! But looks aren't everything. You guys correctly picked apart that other vette in my other thread today.

These are my concerns.

1. Is this baloney in the description? "Inside, there's a correct code 403 black leather bucket seat interior, also restored to a very high standard. Experts might argue that 402 is the code for black leather, but 403 has been confirmed by the NCRS as also correct. "

2. No ignition shielding.

3. Not original radio.

4. The underside is weird. It appears there is TIN FOIL taped the bottom of the car? HUH? I have never seen this before. If I never seen it then I gotta wonder what this is all about.

5. FOUR exhaust pipes. Two on the side and two on the back. I don't get it. underside. But the tail ends are still there on the factory exhaust. They say factory can be installed easily but isn't it already there?

6. Luggage rack is factory installed I believe.

7. Price justified for this car based on what you see? The car sounds great. Take a look at the video and it does have "awards" but not the NCRS ones.

Well take a gander at this one. Thanks.

CLICK ME!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:05 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

1) 403 is the only code listed for 71 black leather, in the NCRS 68-82 Specification Guide.

2) There's no shielding, because the car has a later HEI distributor, and the 71 factory shielding won't fit over an HEI cap. The chrome alternator is wrong too, as is the left valve cover and oil cap (71's use a black rubber cap, that pushes into the cover). The aluminum water pump is wrong, and a couple other things, don't look right either.

3) Yep, it looks to be a Custom Autosound radio. The gauges look like they have white numerals. If so, they are out of a 72 or later car. 71's have a green tint to them.

4) The tin foil looks like someone's half a$$ attempt to insulate the interior, from trans heat.

5) I don't know what's going on with the exhaust. The car has fake header side pipes on it. On the car, they look like header side pipes, but underneath you can see that they aren't headers, just an exhaust pipe running to a side pipe shaped like a header. I think they just hung the stock exhaust tips, in the rear bezels, because it was cheaper and easier than replacing the exhaust panel.

6) No 71's, ever left the factory with a luggage rack. Other than in 1977, luggage racks were always a dealer installed accessory.

7) Seems high to me, and the only awards that matter are the NCRS and Bloomington ones.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:23 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gbvette62
1) 403 is the only code listed for 71 black leather, in the NCRS 68-82 Specification Guide.

2) There's no shielding, because the car has a later HEI distributor, and the 71 factory shielding won't fit over an HEI cap. The chrome alternator is wrong too, as is the left valve cover and oil cap (71's use a black rubber cap, that pushes into the cover). The aluminum water pump is wrong, and a couple other things, don't look right either.

3) Yep, it looks to be a Custom Autosound radio. The gauges look like they have white numerals. If so, they are out of a 72 or later car. 71's have a green tint to them.

4) The tin foil looks like someone's half a$$ attempt to insulate the interior, from trans heat.

5) I don't know what's going on with the exhaust. The car has fake header side pipes on it. On the car, they look like header side pipes, but underneath you can see that they aren't headers, just an exhaust pipe running to a side pipe shaped like a header. I think they just hung the stock exhaust tips, in the rear bezels, because it was cheaper and easier than replacing the exhaust panel.

6) No 71's, ever left the factory with a luggage rack. Other than in 1977, luggage racks were always a dealer installed accessory.

7) Seems high to me, and the only awards that matter are the NCRS and Bloomington ones.
UGHHHHHHH I meant a dealer installed option on the luggage rack.

Yeah, that tin foil insulation looks like CRAP!!!!!!! I mean you make the car look beautiful and all and you do that????????? I don't get it.

Gosh, I really wish a forum member would show up with a 1971 BB roaster that actually had some nice history to it. Even an LT-1. They just aren't many out there. I been combing the NCRS driveline and nothing yet.

For that price they are asking I would expect a little more orginality or insulation that was not made of tin foil!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:35 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For that price it should be all original. Pipes aren't. They didn't even bother reworking the rear valance so now it's stupid looking with both exhaust exits on it. You could strip off those side pipes and go back to stock exhaust out the back....again for that money why should you have to? It depends on what you're willing to spend. If you want all original or like it the way it is.

Meticulous restoration? I guess cleaning the caked on grease road dirt and dead insect guts off the tie rod ends wasn't part of this process.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:43 PM
tfi racing
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Good,I'm not the only one that thinks the pricing is out of touch,for that kind of money there shouldn't be that many glaring deficiencies.Patriot sidepipes on a $47K car,what a joke!
Old 06-29-2013, 12:44 PM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 136 Likes on 74 Posts

I might get some flak for this, but in my humble opinion, stop looking at cars that are being sold be dealers. Their number one goal is to make a profit on the car, and will doctor pics, and cover up as much as they can in order to make the car look nicer than it is. You need to be looking for a private party deal, find a guy who isnt about making money on the car (because if he restored it for himself, he will have not cut corners). Find someone who sadly has to sell his "baby" and has lots of records of the work done and who did it and when.

You will probably find a better car, for less money, even though it will probably take you a little more time.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:55 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chstitans42
I might get some flak for this, but in my humble opinion, stop looking at cars that are being sold be dealers. Their number one goal is to make a profit on the car, and will doctor pics, and cover up as much as they can in order to make the car look nicer than it is. You need to be looking for a private party deal, find a guy who isnt about making money on the car (because if he restored it for himself, he will have not cut corners). Find someone who sadly has to sell his "baby" and has lots of records of the work done and who did it and when.

You will probably find a better car, for less money, even though it will probably take you a little more time.
I agree. Place a want to buy ad in the for sale forum listing exactly what you're looking for. Then keep bumping it to the top so it gets reads and you'll probably find a good deal from a forum member.
Old 06-29-2013, 01:41 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

What are you looking for? Survivor? All original? Modded? Restored? Willing to do/have some work done? Take a look at this one.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/3864853001.html
Old 06-29-2013, 01:56 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by chstitans42

Why on earth would you get flak for being ONE HUNDERED PERCENT right??????????????

I can write a book on the number of horror stories I have. Fortunately, I never purchased one of the horrors. I came real close with an yellow roadster top flight earlier in the year but it didn't work out. The stealerships and the consignment shops. uggggggh tell me about it. Hoping to find a forum member or NCRS person with one. Thank you for you input!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 01:57 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

I have NO problem finding let model deals!!!!!!!!

But I really want to have my best friend in a shark also!!!!!!!

Old 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LoneStarV
What are you looking for? Survivor? All original? Modded? Restored? Willing to do/have some work done? Take a look at this one.

http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/3864853001.html
Hello there!!!!! I want to get any kind of deal but I don't want to end up buying trash. One that is in good working condition. Ideally, a nice documented corvette would be my best bet!!!!!!!! But, a correctly priced numbers match 454 or Lt-1 roadster would be in my cards. It must be a 4 speed. The one you linked doesn't make it unfortunately.

I am willing to pay top dollar for a delicious 8 oz filet mignon. I would do the same for a 1971 roadster.

Last edited by theblackvette; 06-29-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

For that price it should be all original. Pipes aren't. They didn't even bother reworking the rear valance so now it's stupid looking with both exhaust exits on it. You could strip off those side pipes and go back to stock exhaust out the back....again for that money why should you have to? It depends on what you're willing to spend. If you want all original or like it the way it is.

Meticulous restoration? I guess cleaning the caked on grease road dirt and dead insect guts off the tie rod ends wasn't part of this process.

Oh gosh the bug splatter!!!!!!!!!! I just don't get that exhaust set up. It looks goofy!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-29-2013, 02:04 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theblackvette
Hello there!!!!! I want to get any kind of deal but I don't want to end up buying trash. Ideally, a nice documented corvette would be my best bet!!!!!!!! But, a correctly priced numbers match 454 or Lt-1 roadster would be in my cards. It must be a 4 speed. The one you linked doesn't make it unfortunately.

I am willing to pay top dollar for a delicious 8 oz filet mignon. I would do the same for a 1971 roadster.
Ok. Now we have it. Top dollar for a top flight 1971 Drop Top Big Block 4 Speed. If you're willing to pay to play it changes things quite a bit. Finding what you want won't be quite as hard as stacking greased BB's while standing on your head in a corner but may take some time. Did you place a want to buy ad in the for sale forum yet?
Old 06-29-2013, 02:13 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

Ok. Now we have it. Top dollar for a top flight 1971 Drop Top Big Block 4 Speed. If you're willing to pay to play it changes things quite a bit. Finding what you want won't be quite as hard as stacking greased BB's while standing on your head in a corner but may take some time. Did you place a want to buy ad in the for sale forum yet?
Oh I put one in the forum months ago!!!!!!!!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3s-...her-years.html
Old 06-29-2013, 02:23 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

That ad STINKS no wonder you haven't found one. Here lemme write ya one. Go post this. Header in caps of course.

WTB 1971 BB VERT 4SP TOP DOLLAR!!

I'm willing to pay to play. I'm looking for a 1971 Vert 454 4 speed. Looking for one fully optioned but willing to look at others. I'm looking for a low mile original or frame off restored. No projects no rust. I'm willing to pay for QUALITY. I will respond to all offers.

Last edited by LoneStarV; 06-29-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:29 PM
theblackvette
Safety Car

That ad STINKS no wonder you haven't found one. Here lemme write ya one. Go post this. Header in caps of course.

WTB 1971 BB VERT 4SP TOP DOLLAR!!

I'm willing to pay to play. I'm looking for a 1971 Vert 454 4 speed. Looking for one fully optioned but willing to look at others. I'm looking for low mile original or frame off restored. No projects no rust. I'm willing to pay for QUALITY. I will respond to all offers.
I see you didn't like my ad. Hahaha. I replied to it before seeing your post. I will let it roll off the page and then put up a new one. Thanks
Old 06-29-2013, 02:36 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

No. Go ahead and post your new ad. That page rolls too slowly. Bump your ad to the top every day. Someone is going to have what you're looking for.

Get notified of new replies

To Am I being fooled again in liking it?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:20 PM
4 speed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what was wrong with the red on red in the other thread for 40k ?

just curious!
Old 06-29-2013, 03:25 PM
LoneStarV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4 speed
what was wrong with the red on red in the other thread for 40k ?

just curious!
Has to be a 1971 the year he was born.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:38 PM
4 speed
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ah , gottcha!

Quick Reply: Am I being fooled again in liking it?