Sponsored by:

This is different- cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:10 PM
LudemJo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default This is different- cooling system

So, I am looking over the MSD distributor in preparation to run through some checks of ignition timing, and I look over and my top radiator hose is flat as a pancake!?! The engine was stone cold, and hadn't been run today at all. I opened the radiator cap and heard the vacuum release and the hose returned to normal shape. The overflow tank was at the hot level, so it almost seemed that the radiator was not able to pull fluid from the overflow tank as it cooled. So, a new radiator cap, or ????

John
Old 08-22-2013, 08:20 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

I would check the overflow hose for blockage first then if it is good replace the radiator cap.

Sounds like you see it and the spring or the hose is not allowing the return of the coolent into the radiator.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 PM
jnealg
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MakoJoe
I would check the overflow hose for blockage first then if it is good replace the radiator cap..

when I bought mine the PO didnt have a return hose. I noticed an antifreeze smell one day and the car was over heating.
Turns out the rad was pumping into the reservoir but not getting anything back. The reservoir was overflowing and the rad was purt near empty.

I couldnt find a replacement cap with a return line so I just stuck a vacuum line on and called it good. several months later all is still good. If I run across an orig at a swap meet I will snag it then.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM
MakoJoe
Burning Brakes

Did a little more research and looks like the Corvette Cooling system requires a 16 Lb Radiator cap in the model years from 1971 till 1998 for both big block and small block engines. Found a cool Mr Gasket cap that has a thermometer built into it for $25.00 bucks. Hmm might have to get me one of them
Old 08-23-2013, 06:28 AM
LudemJo
Racer

Thanks MakoJoe. I may look into that Mr. Gasket cap as well. It would be nice to have a backup coolant temperature gauge...

John
Old 08-23-2013, 07:22 AM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Radiator cap needs to have a one way check valve. This is located in the center bottom of the cap and is an upside down brass cup. When a cooling system is brought up to temperature the ck. valve closes off and will not allow any coolant to flow into the recovery tank. When the system cools down the extra space caused by expansion will produce a vacuum on the system. The ck. valve opens and allows coolant from the recovery tank to be drawn back into the radiator and releases the vacuum. I think you have the wrong radiator cap or the ck. valve is defective. Look at the AC Delco RC-33 radiator cap. mike...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-AC-DELCO-RC-33-RADIATOR-CAP-1973-TO-1978-CORVETTE-CAMARO-AND-OTHER-GM-CARS-/281153565510?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41760ef346&vxp=mtr
Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

there are two types of caps with either a spring relief valve or a weighted (no spring) relief valve.
The spring type seem to hold up better over time.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:42 AM
BKarol
Melting Slicks

Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

My owners & chassis manual, specification guide calls for 15lb not 16lb. You should check your manual for the correct one.

Get notified of new replies

To This is different- cooling system

Quick Reply: This is different- cooling system