father-in-law is doing better today after the surgery,
great!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:48 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack605
Doorgunner, do you scrape and paint the frame in this area since you have easy access? I don't want to add to your list but..............Jack
If I drop the tank (which will probably happen) I may blast the metal and repaint it......I REALLY want to lift the body this winterand bring the frame to a new boiling facility in central Louisiana....I have seen very rusty industrial metal frames "boiled"---the frames are stripped cleaned INSIDE and out when the process is done for 24 hours.

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
great!
Thanks J.C.! Having been in combat, and also losing my son because of an Illegal (Mexican) Immigrant with multiple previous violent offences who STILL was in the United States, , I know that God answers prayers......."sometimes with a YES".......sometimes with a "No". It seems as though my father-in-law received a "Yes"....as the doctors were afraid because of the seriousness and his age that he would be at an even worse risk of surviving the treatment.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by doorgunner

Thanks J.C.! Having been in combat, and also losing my son because of an Illegal (Mexican) Immigrant with multiple previous violent offences who STILL was in the United States, , I know that God answers prayers......."sometimes with a YES".......sometimes with a "No". It seems as though my father-in-law received a "Yes"....as the doctors were afraid because of the seriousness and his age that he would be at an even worse risk of surviving the treatment.
It's truly horrible regarding your son. I have a daughter and can't imagine going thru what you and your wife must have. It's just incredible that Congress can still allow such to continue. I just don't have the words to say how I feel about this.

Lastly, thanks for serving.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 10-12-2015 at 09:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 10:23 AM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts
Default project details

Doorgunner- I started my notebook of progress on my rebuild. Not nearly as comprehensive as yours, but I plan on keeping better records than when I upgraded my RX-7. I did stuff to that car and now find myself trying to remember details, cost, parts suppliers, etc.
I already have cancelled an upgrade to the Corvette. I installed halogen bulbs for the tail lights/ stop lights. Much brighter and look good. I found out yesterday that when the turn signals are used while the parking lights are also on, there is so little difference in the brightness of the bulbs you can not really notice the blinkers are working. I believe there is a heavy duty flasher unit that may fix this, but for now I am back to the normal bulbs. Another good idea that did not work so well! RA
Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ronarndt
Doorgunner- I started my notebook of progress on my rebuild. Not nearly as comprehensive as yours, but I plan on keeping better records than when I upgraded my RX-7. I did stuff to that car and now find myself trying to remember details, cost, parts suppliers, etc.
I already have cancelled an upgrade to the Corvette. I installed halogen bulbs for the tail lights/ stop lights. Much brighter and look good. I found out yesterday that when the turn signals are used while the parking lights are also on, there is so little difference in the brightness of the bulbs you can not really notice the blinkers are working. I believe there is a heavy duty flasher unit that may fix this, but for now I am back to the normal bulbs. Another good idea that did not work so well! RA

I understand......completely! I learned on my '34 street truck build that EVERY change needs to be documented and WHY also! 5 years after the truck was completed I was wondering what the WHITE WIRE WAS FOR

About 20-30% of the changes I made have been modified at least three times before things worked like they should.

I even made up a binder that keeps important advice from the Forum.....I copy and print the advice/pics/diagrams as soon as I read them (after a year it's hard to remember WHICH thread had WHAT needed info.....LOL!
The following users liked this post:
Dave the Wave (10-17-2016)
Old 10-12-2015, 01:22 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

This morning a did more "de-clumping" of the old filler used by a previous body shop on the rear deck and quarter panels. I have officially removed a shoe box of filler so far with about another hour's worth of heating/scraping/sanding before I can glue the bonding strips to the body.

So......Members were correct.............the you-know-what had to be drained and dropped........nice coating of fiberglass dust.............

I also remove nearly all of the clumps that would prevent the bonding strips from laying flat against the inner quarter panels...........

Now...for the last area....to get out there and heat/scrape/sand the underside of the deck for a bonding strip.

Had all this been done correctly years ago, I would have the '68 donor tail light clip installed and the body from the doors back ready to be painted...........

Ohhhhh well......I'm getting plenty of practice!
Old 10-12-2015, 01:49 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Boy, now i really gotta get the front pieces done! Quick question. That gas tank will go in with the taillamp panel installed?
Old 10-12-2015, 04:53 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
It's just incredible that Congress can still allow such to continue.
From the late George Carlin....
If "pro" is for, and "con" is against....
consider the words "Progress" and "Congress".

Glad to hear your FIL is doing better DG!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
That gas tank will go in with the taillamp panel installed?
I don't know about the 68 but on my 76 the tank comes out going towards the front of the car not the rear...
Old 10-12-2015, 09:29 PM
derekderek
Race Director

I guess you need to write something
Attached Images   

Last edited by derekderek; 10-12-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:53 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Boy, now i really gotta get the front pieces done! Quick question. That gas tank will go in with the taillamp panel installed?
No big deal.....I finally removed the rest of the excess filler. The gas tank front edge drops down and then lowers to the floor. There is at least 3" of gap between the gas tank and the back of the tail light recesses.

Originally Posted by oldgto
From the late George Carlin....
If "pro" is for, and "con" is against....
consider the words "Progress" and "Congress".
Glad to hear your FIL is doing better DG!
Don't get me started about CON------gress (CON-victed felons/CON-artists).
FIL was released from the hospital at 8pm with his leg and toes intact.....the surgeon was amazed at his improvement, considering they planned on him being hospitalized for at least a week after the surgery/then Rehab for a week or two IF the surgery worked!

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
I don't know about the 68 but on my 76 the tank comes out going towards the front of the car not the rear...
Same on the '68......the front of the tank drops down/then the tank lowers to the floor.

I guess you need to write something
It looks great
Old 10-13-2015, 12:03 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

It took only 4 more hours to heat/scrape/pry the rest of the filler from the inside of the body panels! I had to sit under the deck where the gas tank was.......heat the filler while looking up and scraping it off the fiberglass an inch at a time because it was nearly 3/4" thick in some spots......................

The camera really exaggerates the size of the opening............

Hopefully the rear of the car won't look like this much longer.................

Old 10-13-2015, 03:36 AM
Postal123
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The camera really exaggerates the size of the opening..........
Sorry, just couldn't sit idly by. Your progress look great!
Old 10-13-2015, 06:38 AM
derekderek
Race Director

It took only 4 more hours to heat/scrape/pry the rest of the filler from the inside of the body panels! I had to sit under the deck where the gas tank was.......heat the filler while looking up and scraping it off the fiberglass an inch at a time because it was nearly 3/4" thick in some spots......................

The camera really exaggerates the size of the opening............

Hopefully the rear of the car won't look like this much longer.................

the opening looks like it is the width and height of the car. is it actually smaller? and we all know what it is gonna look like soon...
Old 10-13-2015, 07:36 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Postal123
Sorry, just couldn't sit idly by. Your progress look great!
Thanks Postal..............."not bad for a rookie....but pitiful for an Expert".........LOL!

the opening looks like it is the width and height of the car. is it actually smaller? and we all know what it is gonna look like soon...
The quarter panels taper inward about 16" total/the deck tapers down about 5" total/the lower valence angles upward about 5" from it's lowest point where it meets the bottom edge of the quarter panels.

In another hour I'll go to the garage and start patching some holes in the quarter panels and tail light clip to see how the adhesive grips the cleaned areas.

UPDATE: It rained all day.........maybe tonight!

Last edited by doorgunner; 10-13-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:14 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 321 Posts

So glad that your F-I-L has recovered so well. Did you get my PM, DG? Lou.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:50 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I like where you're going with this DG.

Get notified of new replies

To Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Old 10-13-2015, 09:46 PM
lowbuck72
Drifting

Received 468 Likes on 274 Posts

Glad to hear your father in law is doing better. After having spent a couple of good afternoons with the heat gun, I know what you're going through. Hang in there, it's coming along nicely.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:41 PM
persuader
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts

I just have to say that I am enjoying watching your progress on this part of your build. Looking good so far.

I think you can stop calling yourself a rookie now.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:49 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by loup68
So glad that your F-I-L has recovered so well. Did you get my PM, DG? Lou.
I'll check now about the PM. The doctors were amazed at the rapid/positive change in his condition.

Originally Posted by tokim
I like where you're going with this DG.
Thanks........We're BOTH gonna' be surprised when I get 'there"!

Originally Posted by lowbuck72
Glad to hear your father in law is doing better. After having spent a couple of good afternoons with the heat gun, I know what you're going through. Hang in there, it's coming along nicely.
I didn't realize how much the overhead work wore me down....I got nothing done today other than picking this up....................

I won't need it for a few days....according to the Paint/Body Forum----with Dub keeping an eye on me for good measure.........first I need to use the bonding adhesive to make some test patches in different areas and let them cure at least 24 hours.....if they hold well I can begin bonding the tail light clip to the main body and let it cure a couple days....then use the green can of filler to level the exterior seams.

That's the Plan!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project