Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Your story reminds me of the VA spending during the Obuma years. I recall a 2 million dollar wall sculpture at the VA medical facility.....FOR THE BLIND!!!!! Are you kidding me!!

Only our Guvment could be so great and caring.

Good luck on the recoverery, remember getting on the creeper may be easy, but dont forget you have to get off of it somehow.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:01 AM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

We are wishing you a great and speedy recovery.

Things are changing, unfortunately they are changing very slowly as the people that heave been there in charge for many years do not want to loose their "benefits". (perks)

Somehow things in this country got screwed up. We take care of the non-citizens and non-contributors to society better and more often than we take care of the workers , veterans and elderly.
Hopefully the change has started and will continue in the correct direction.

Again we wish you the best and a speedy recovery.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:21 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Keep fighting the battle, no matter what the battle is, win the war and never, never give up!
Speedy recovery to you!
Greg
Old 01-10-2018, 02:49 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I wish you a speedy recovery DG! Be careful with trying to get back to work on your car. I can tell you from my own back surgery that I started feeling good enough to start doing things long before my back was healed enough to do them.

Mike
Old 01-10-2018, 06:29 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I wish you a fast recovery. Take teh time you need to get back to what you feel is acceptable. Hopefully that is not too long.

DUB
Old 01-10-2018, 07:56 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
You run out of pain pills, that's what lacquer thinner fumes are for!!!
(Slaps his forehead)......"Now why didn't I think of that.....and with far fewer side effects!"

Originally Posted by Tom69
DG,

Welcome back and prayers for a complete recovery. I hope you were kidding about getting on a creeper so soon after surgery! Hang in there with doctor's orders until you get a green light.

Regards,
Tom69
LOL....Kinda! The surgeon said as long as I don't lift anything heavier than a loaf of bread I should be o.k. In two weeks he will reexamine my spine and tell me "what I can get away with".

Originally Posted by Jack605
Keep your spirits high DG, good luck with your survey.

Jack
Thanks Jack

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Glad you came out of the surgery relatively ok. I have yet to have one go on time either, most of mine are 1.5-3x as long as predicted so you have some company.

I feel terrible for you and all of our vets who have to suffer through our terrible system. Taking better care of those who chose to serve their country is something that I feel strongly about. Hopefully things will go very well for you and you can get back to having fun in the shop soon!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Thanks P.S. EXACTLY about other Vets dealing/dying because of this V. A. Administrative B.S. At least the ceiling tiles aren't falling and hitting me on the head ANY MORE! "Civilians would out up with this foolishness for One New York Minute.

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Your story reminds me of the VA spending during the Obuma years. I recall a 2 million dollar wall sculpture at the VA medical facility.....FOR THE BLIND!!!!! Are you kidding me!!
Only our Guvment could be so great and caring. Good luck on the recoverery, remember getting on the creeper may be easy, but dont forget you have to get off of it somehow.
I was actually told not to waste my time calling the V.A. to make an appointment once President Obama was "securely" in Office/that is NOT what this Southern Boy voted for/I truly wanted him to be a great (Black) President.....since I put away my learned hatred I was "kinda'" thinking He did the same thing.

Side-rant/Side bar: Well.....fool me once...However...I STILL would vote for a Female (Black) President (I haven't given up completely on Morality/Mutual Respect).

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
We are wishing you a great and speedy recovery.

Things are changing, unfortunately they are changing very slowly as the people that heave been there in charge for many years do not want to loose their "benefits". (perks)

Somehow things in this country got screwed up. We take care of the non-citizens and non-contributors to society better and more often than we take care of the workers , veterans and elderly.
Hopefully the change has started and will continue in the correct direction.

Again we wish you the best and a speedy recovery.
Thanks much Blue1972 (nice ring to that name!)

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Keep fighting the battle, no matter what the battle is, win the war and never, never give up!
Speedy recovery to you!
Greg
Thanks O.C.B!!!

Originally Posted by v2racing
I wish you a speedy recovery DG! Be careful with trying to get back to work on your car. I can tell you from my own back surgery that I started feeling good enough to start doing things long before my back was healed enough to do them.

Mike
AHaaaaaaa! I.ve been hurting so bad....any improvement makes me want to go to the garage...about a 50' walk/wheelchair ride.

Keep reminding me every time you guys/girls think I need to be "pacing myself".........

Old 01-18-2018, 02:32 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm just checking in on you....
Are you able to get around yet?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:49 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wendellp601
I'm just checking in on you....
Are you able to get around yet?
Thanks for checking. I came home brite tailed and bushy eyed from some spine saving surgery on the Doctors part! Then the two plus months of pain meds (November thru January) took control. It took 48 hours of no sleep to get them out of my system. I'm very weak now but i hear thats common with Opiod meds. I feel for people who get hooked on that stuff.....
Plus, down here we've ben in a mini deep freeze with sleet and snow for a week......highly unusual for Louisisana.
I DID manage to let out a good old-fashioned "doorgunner's scream" in the Emergency Room.......Doctors and Nurses were running in all directions.
It renewed my perspective on Not pushing my body Past the Limit!
Thanks again.

EDIT: I certainly will be glad when this thread turns into a BUILD THREAD again......

Last edited by doorgunner; 01-20-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:25 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Good news from the neurosurgeon......the repair of my lower spine is doing quite well considering the previous damage. I am now on light duty/10 lbs. or less.
The snow and ice has melted (weird weather for Louisiana).....no chance of doing a back-flip on the way to the garage.
Now I'll have a good chance of finishing the bodywork on the rear half of the car for painting
Old 01-24-2018, 05:30 PM
vetsalsman
Supporting Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like some very good & much deserved news. You will be back to working on your car soon
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 07:38 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Good news from the neurosurgeon......the repair of my lower spine is doing quite well considering the previous damage. I am now on light duty/10 lbs. or less.
The snow and ice has melted (weird weather for Louisiana).....no chance of doing a back-flip on the way to the garage.
Now I'll have a good chance of finishing the bodywork on the rear half of the car for painting
That's more than good news bro , that's great news ! Sounds like you need to take the doc for a ride in your 68 when your done !

Don't worry I'm not gonna pass you up ! Right now it's all I can do to try to keep up a work and sandblasting is slow and anything but a pleasant job !

You rest up and let yourself heal and you'll be back at it in no time !

Take care !
doorgunner (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 08:29 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by vetsalsman
sounds like some very good & much deserved news. You will be back to working on your car soon
Originally Posted by SPCL FX
That's more than good news bro , that's great news ! Sounds like you need to take the doc for a ride in your 68 when your done !

Don't worry I'm not gonna pass you up ! Right now it's all I can do to try to keep up a work and sandblasting is slow and anything but a pleasant job !

You rest up and let yourself heal and you'll be back at it in no time !

Take care !

Thanks Members. I really think I've had enough extracurricular activity. And thanks for all the thoughts and prayers......Sometimes God answers "Yes"/sometimes "No".

/
Old 01-24-2018, 08:33 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Thanks Members. I really think I've had enough extracurricular activity. And thanks for all the thoughts and prayers......Sometimes God answers "Yes"/sometimes "No".

/
Squeeze er' easy Doorgunner, little bit at a time.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:23 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by caskiguy
Squeeze er' easy Doorgunner, little bit at a time.
Thanks a bunch caskiguy!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:50 AM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Glad to hear that your recovery is moving along. I understand your frustration...truly I do.

Better days are coming, my friend. Take it easy, recover while you can, and then hit that shop with a vengeance! =)
Old 01-25-2018, 11:56 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PainfullySlow
Glad to hear that your recovery is moving along. I understand your frustration...truly I do.

Better days are coming, my friend. Take it easy, recover while you can, and then hit that shop with a vengeance! =)
Thanks P.S. I'm limited to 10lbs. of lifting......the good news is---a can of VPA weighs less than 3 lbs! I'm hoping to continue the bodywork this weekend.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:24 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks P.S. I'm limited to 10lbs. of lifting......the good news is---a can of VPA weighs less than 3 lbs! I'm hoping to continue the bodywork this weekend.
Git-er-done DG!!

Glad to hear you are finally getting good health news.
doorgunner (01-25-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Old 01-26-2018, 10:37 AM
MSGT-R
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow, a lot of water runs under the bridge when a person is gone for awhile..

Hang in there Tony, and I won't tell you to pace yourself.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:00 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by chazde3
Git-er-done DG!!

Glad to hear you are finally getting good health news.
Originally Posted by MSGT-R
Wow, a lot of water runs under the bridge when a person is gone for awhile..

Hang in there Tony, and I won't tell you to pace yourself.
Thanks Men. Tomorrow may be the first day to touch the car in 3 months!
Old 01-26-2018, 05:38 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

sounds dirty. where you gonna touch it? I just referred the guy with the 74 to your thread. he is gonna do the rear too, and could use your expertise on where to cut the car and tail panel to fit it up. and don't give me any of that rookie crap!! you are one of the authorities on this conversion! oh, side markers. I am thinking a little red LED just below the bumper in back, and an amber in front. enough to make car visible from the side and make cops happy....

Last edited by derekderek; 01-26-2018 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project