Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 03:01 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by derekderek
If you are doing the drive, I put my nose in a 5 by 9 u haul open trailer. Tied it down good. No issues. Shipping? I think it is too flimsy to ship in anything less than a plywood and pallet board case.
Originally Posted by rvzio
Tony don't worry about the front end parts. If you still need them I will deliver them if you buy the donuts! Will get with you as to when.

R
Originally Posted by Norm07
DG

I stripped that area by hand and the radius on mine was minimal, to the points it's a sharp edge...so to speak.

And....the angle from the top edge down is different all around the opening. I was very careful when sanding to stay away from that edge to maintain the edge.

Originally Posted by SPCL FX
Wow ! You're really moving along nicely!

I believe that your easily going to finish ahead of me !

I wish I could pace myself like you !

Really looking good DG !
Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers

Hey DG ,mine doesnt have much of a radius either
....RATS.....all of my replies were deleted when I reposted the individual comments!

Thanks everyone for the great help and advice. Derek...I'm not getting the complete clip/just the flat part that surrounds the headlights since mine is covered with bondo and cracked off. Thanks for the pics Norm and RR.....now I see what I need to do.

I'm going to the garage between rainstorms to study the situation.

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-17-2018 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:55 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

That would probably ship in 2 end-to-end boxes like I did with the bumper lip. 40-50 bucks FedEx or UPS ground.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:33 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

That would probably ship in 2 end-to-end boxes like I did with the bumper lip. 40-50 bucks FedEx or UPS ground.
Derek.........(As we said in Nam) "There it is!" Make a box!

I spent a couple more hours on the deck channel sanding the added fiberglass to prepare for body filler. I also decided to seal the rectangular drain holes so leaks in the rectangular deck support/drain would not leak because of hidden stress cracks or the large hole in it on the driver's side. Per Derek I placed aluminum sheet metal tabs in the holes to support the fiberglass filler.........

Now....back to the garage to apply body filler across the rear channel.

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-17-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:45 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

More channel work/nearly finished (or close enough for the paint shop).

I sanded the body filler to a sharp edge across the back of the channel....Then turned the sander on it's edge and sanded the filler on the channel shoulder................................ ...

I used a 2 1/2" dia. sanding wheel to cut the corner radius' into the channel..................

Since I extended the cargo area all the way to the rear frame crossmember I filled in the vents with fiberglass earlier....today I leveled the inside of the sealed vents with body filler. I will install 1/2" aluminum tubing so the rainwater can drain completely (using lowbucks method)...........

That's it for today.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:20 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Default Vette

Nice tools DG, they come in very handy for certain types of work. Your getting pretty good at all this dude!

RVZIO
Old 03-18-2018, 06:44 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rvzio
Nice tools DG, they come in very handy for certain types of work. Your getting pretty good at all this dude!

RVZIO
S'Up R..........that sander really makes a straight/flat cut and saves time/who woulda' thought. I've used two quarts of filler and starting on my 3rd can.
So far I'm finding only surface voids/divots. I accidentally dripped filler onto the drain groove in the channel (too tired) and thought I'd just pop it out with a screwdriver.....not so....
I had to use a small chisel and hammer to break it loose/then sand the remainder flush
It's good to know the filler adds strength to the repair as well.

(Sleep 3 hours/awake 3 hours/repeat )

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-18-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:52 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Since I extended the cargo area all the way to the rear frame crossmember I filled in the vents with fiberglass earlier....today I leveled the inside of the sealed vents with body filler. I will install 1/2" aluminum tubing so the rainwater can drain completely (using lowbucks method)...........

For the vents, are you going to leave the grills? And with the larger cargo area, will the gas door also remain.. but go nowhere?
Nice job on that radius, btw!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:38 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldgto
For the vents, are you going to leave the grills? And with the larger cargo area, will the gas door also remain.. but go nowhere?
Nice job on that radius, btw!
Thanks oldgto......................yes, I have to fit the chrome vent grills...the gas door will be usable but I have to seal around the filler pipe so gas won't drip into the extended cargo/trunk space....also have to reroute filler pipe-to tank between rear wall of trunk and tail light panel.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:42 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Since I couldn't sleep last night I decided to update the 1st page of the thread to make it easier for me and members to locate certain parts of the Project.....Whew!

NOTE: When I started this thread, I had no idea of what life had in store...so this is turning into more than a build-thread.

I'm new to Corvettes and want to buy a very neglected '68 convertible near my home with late '70s front & rear bumpers....

Side note: I've had the "fever" since 1968 when I saw that $4,550 red Corvette on the showroom floor at the local dealership.....and ended up with the $2,695 1969 Camaro convertible that was sitting next to the Corvette!

I'm not trying to "restore" to a factoy look since the car is a "basket-case" vehicle......I have no bodywork experience.....just want to get the body back to 1968-looks....and have a D.D./keeper just for me.....

Thanks for any input/threads-to-read...since I'm learning as I go....

Some of the experimental mods that I try on this car would NEVER EVER be tried by me on an original car!

Build Date Dec 14, 1967

Time for a TABLE OF CONTENTS!

Advice/Finding the "Right Car".................................... ......pg. 1-2

Bringing "her" home.................................... ..................pg. 3

Removing interior & Re-insulating/soundproofing..............pg. 4-5

CAI (kinda')/Seat covers/Alternator mods.........................pg. 6

Temporary Exhausts/Seat covers/Salvage yard Vette.........pg. 7

More CAI/Cooling fan mods/Brake rebuild.........................pg. 8

Brakes/Differential/Trailing Arm Rebuild............................pg. 9-10

M. Cylinder/Distribution Valve/Re-center Differential Prob...pg. 11

4 Wheel Alignment and Problems................................ .....pg. 12-14

Suspension Alignment/Springs/Shocks/ChitChat................pg. 15-17

"Straightening Bubba's" Trailing Arms/Interior Carpet........pg. 18

Oil Pan Leak/More Suspension Repairs/Damper repair........pg. 19-20

Exhaust Wrap/Infra-red-Gun readings..............................pg . 21-22

Seat Covers/OilPan Gasket/Seat Covers............................pg. 23-25

Cooling system cleaning/RANT!/Gatlinburg Trip..................pg. 26-27

Sandbagging warped hood/Idle Chit Chat..........................pg. 28-29

Engine Overheating/Son and Depression/Seat Belts............pg. 30-32

Exhaust Mods/Softtop S. Carolina Trip/Top Rebuild..............pg. 49-52

Softtop Rebuild................................. ..............................pg. 53-57

Steering Column Rebuild................................. .................pg. 60-62

Allergy Treatment aarg/Broken Door Locks.........................pg. 63-64

Car Alarms/Parachutes/Projects................................ .........pg. 65-67

Rebuilding Door Mechanisms/Door Lock Rebuild...................pg. 68-69

Door Panels/Car Show/Speedometer Gears/ChitChat.............pg. 70-71

Passenger Door Panel-Again/Veteran's Discussion..................pg. 72

Calo69 Car Show Pics (lots of Vettes/etc.).............................pg.73

PTSD/Rant/Encouraging Members/Back on Track....................pg.74-76

SOLD '34 Truck/New grills/engine harness...P/B conversion......pg.76-77

P/B conversion/TH400 Re-wired................................... ..........pg. 78

Speedometer glitch-repair/cooling fan delay-relay(s) upgraded...pg. 79

New CAI Plenum/New-larger steering wheel.............................pg. 79

CAI and sidepipes............................... ..................................pg. 80

Steering wheel/sidepipe install/CAI..................................... ....pg. 81-83

Distributor problems........AGAIN................... .........................pg. 84

Distributor electric parts rebuild................................. .............pg.85

Rebuilt distributor installation/timing.................................. ...pg. 86-87

Upgrade to electric fuel pump.................................... ............pg. 87

Chrome FRONT Bumper Conversion/Click here for the condensed shortcut: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590451458 ...pg. 88-93

Conversion Discussions/Cutting Fiberglass Grill Off.............pg. 93-95

Two Year Review of the Build................................... ........pg. 96

Chrome REAR Bumper Conversion/Click here for the condensed shortcut: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590630203.......pg.97

More useful advice about fiberglass replacement..................pg.98-104

Motorcycle Discussions (while waiting for parts to be delivered)...pg. 105-106

Enlarging Cargo/Trunk.......pg.107-109
(click here for condensed Shortcut): https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590742891

More Chrome Front Bumper Modifications........................... ...... pg. 110-111

Fuel Tank Custom Modification/Click here for condensed Shortcut...........https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1590803576 ...pg. 112-116

Tail light Clip Conversion.............................. ......................pg. 116-118

PTSD Chit Chat.................................... .......................................p g. 118-127

More Tail light Clip Conversion.............................. ........................pg. 128-130

More Enlarging Cargo/Trunk Area.................................... ..............pg. 131-135

More Tail Light Clip Conversion.............................. .......................pg. 136-137

Deck Lid Restoration............................. ........................................ pg. 137-139

Body Lift/Body Mounts & Reinforcement Repair/Replacing Front Crossmember and Braces........pg. 140-145
(for shortcut clik on the link to the right): https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591645717

Humorous Story About Visit to V.A. Hospital..............(Click on quick-link https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1591683265) ......................pg. 143

Fabricate Support for oversize Radiator...............................p g. 146

Driver-side Fender Support Repair.................................. ....pg. 147

Test-Fitting Front and Rear Bumpers................................. ...pg. 149

Shimming Body Mounts for Door Gaps.................................pg. 150

Family Illness................................. .................................pg. 151

Family Tragedy................................. ...............................pg. 153-157

Emergency Sale of our house/packing to move away............pg. 158-160

More Tragedy................................. .................................pg. 161-162

Great Flood of 2016.................................... .....................pg. 163

Moving to In-law's during the Flood................................... .pg. 168-169

Trip to New Orleans and to Car Show..................................pg . 170-171

Fuel tank testing and fitting under car.................................pg.1 72-174

Support for Tank fabbing and fitting................................. ...pg. 175

Replacing rotted rear Cross member.................................. ..pg.176-177

More tank fitting with new crossmember............................. ..pg. 178-179

In-laws are united in Heaven.................................. .............pg.180

Moving to new home/new garage for Vette............................pg. 181

Moving Vette to new home/New garage & boxes....................pg.182-184

Repairing Rag-joint/Chit-Chat/New Sand Blasting Cabinet........pg. 185-186

Moving equipment into new garage/re-installing side pipes......pg. 187-188

Garage A.C./Insulation/new pegboard walls...........................pg. 189-190

Roadtrip (less Vette) to California.............................. ...........pg. 190-191

Hoist for hardtop added to garage.................................. .......pg. 192

Loading pegboard walls with Car/motorcycle parts...................pg. 193-194

Studying front Clip/work on Tail Clip/Repair cracked door jamb..pg. 195-196

Bonding exhaust panel to body/Fitting rear chrome bumpers.....pg. 196-199

4 year Review of work done so far..................................... .....pg. 200

Forum Chit-Chat with friends................................. .................pg. 201-203

Lowering garage onto slab after removing sub-floor...................pg.203-204

Painting garage floor/Bolting garage to slab..............................pg. 204-206

My Son's Memorial Day/Me learning to use a Wheelchair!............pg. 207

Forum Chit-Chat about Life.................................... ..................pg. 207-208

Repairing rubber fuel lines in engine bay...................................pg . 208-209

Forum Chit-Chat/Learning to use wheelchair in garage................pg. 209-210

Snow Storm of 2017/Forum Chit-Chat/Christmas 2017................pg. 211-216

Can't walk/Spine Surgery/Recovery/Chit-Chat............................pg. 214-216

First day on project since Surgery................................. ............pg. 216

Exhaust panel fitting/Finishing with body filler.............................pg.21 6-220

Door Gaps/Exhaust panel/Door Gaps.................................... ......pg.220-222

Garage Addition/Forum Chit-Chat/Garage addition/Door Gaps.......pg. 222-227

Repairing Channel that deck lid fits into.................................... ..pg.227-230

(to be continued.......if God says the same!)

Well.....that took only 3 hours!

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-18-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:21 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Great job on the index DG
Old 03-18-2018, 11:07 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Great job on the index DG
Thanks RR......I was taking the day off but I needed to see why the bolts wouldn't hold the hinges for the deck lid in place even after I ran a tap through the nuts. The rivet nuts were rust so much that they were spinning inside the deck support channel.
I wasn't about to remove the support to replace two rivet nuts so BUBBA told me to drill through the support channel and install 2 thru-bolts to hold the upper hinge in place.....I listened.......

The other hinge nuts are worse
The following users liked this post:
suprkoop (03-21-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:23 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Keep up the great work.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:38 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Keep up the great work.
Thanks OCB!

Today's challenge was to replace the twisted-off rivet nuts on the driver-side deck hinge with something stronger. I used I/4" x 1" x 6" long steel flatbar drilled and tap and drilled for pop rivets to hold it in place once it is bolted together. I also tapered the bolt threads to help locate the blind holes they fit in...........................

It isn't positioned yet......(notice the hole that the seized rivet nuts made when I tried to remove the retaining bolts).......the pop rivet you see is installed in the plate-only so I can hold it to move the plate into position/it also prevents the plate from falling out of sight into the end of the support-channel.............................

The insert has been positioned and the two upper bolts have been tightened.............................

The lower bolt is tightened............................... .........

Deck lid bolt hole measurement across.................................. .........

Bolt hole measurement across from hinge to hinge........................

That's it for the A.M. I pulled (ouch) a back muscle. Tomorrow I will install the two pop rivets to hold the threaded bar in place....then I will fiberglass over the large hole.

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-19-2018 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:35 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

More deck lid work this afternoon. I sanded down the filler I added around the edges of the deck lid. There are some areas that need building up/out more.

Passenger-side top of quarterpanel............................ ..

Passenger-side corner radius..................................

Driver-side corner radius.................................. ..

Driver-side top at quarterpanel............................ .......

Plenty of trimming needs to be done so the deck lid will fit into the channel.

Old 03-20-2018, 04:07 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Ahaaaa! This channel shoulder should be vertical per the blue car example picture.........................

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-20-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:39 AM
Ragtop_Rob
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Wow making some GREAT progress!
Old 03-20-2018, 07:26 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Before gassing the hinge mount in, be sure you have it either in place correctly or within range of any adjustment ability. WAAAAY over 99% you have this covered, but other people are gonna use this as a guide to do this repair...

Get notified of new replies

To Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project

Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ragtop_Rob
Wow making some GREAT progress!
Thanks Ragtop!

Before gassing the hinge mount in, be sure you have it either in place correctly or within range of any adjustment ability. WAAAAY over 99% you have this covered, but other people are gonna use this as a guide to do this repair...
Thanks Derek.....with my meds I need you guys to double-check me just in case I (usually) forget something. I measured the hinges hole-to-hole just to be sure.....within 1/8" of the deck lid mounting holes....plus.....each hinge has 1/8" of sideplay to make up the difference.......

Out to the garage with my new straightedge to tweak the inside shoulders of the channel.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:48 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Thanks Ragtop!

Thanks Derek.....with my meds I need you guys to double-check me just in case I (usually) forget something. I measured the hinges hole-to-hole just to be sure.....within 1/8" of the deck lid mounting holes....plus.....each hinge has 1/8" of sideplay to make up the difference.......

Out to the garage with my new straightedge to tweak the inside shoulders of the channel.
Looks great DG !

At this pace your gonna run off and leave me in your dust !

Last edited by SPCL FX; 03-20-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:06 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by SPCL FX
Looks great DG !

At this pace your gonna run off and leave me in your dust !

Thanks SPCLFX!

I spent about 6 hours fighting......errrr.....having a fit......errrr fitting the deck lid in to the channel. So much for "trim the edges of the deck lid to be square" and then bolt the lid in place!

The hinges were straight within 1/8" overall but when the lid was installed the lid sat crooked. I spent 2 hours readjusting the hinge bolts just to be able to rough-in the edges of the lid that I built-out.

I did chip a couple spots on the deck lid edges since it was too wide to fit in the channel on the first try. After 2 more hours of sanding away some of the edges/body filler I was finally able to NEARLY close the lid.

Another two hours of sanding off more of the body filler I was finally able to close the lid completely.

I used a mini level to sand the channel shoulders square.........

The left side is sanded square and the deck edge sanded away until it fit in the channel..........................

I did the same procedure to the passenger-side until it fit in the channel..............

The passenger door gap/lid gap/quartepanel gap are ready to be filled so they are all flush with each other....................

Front and rear pics of the deck lid roughed to size/it opens and closes with no problem................................

The deck lid probably was permanently bonded closed 30 years ago by the previous owner when he converted the '68 nose/bumper and tail light clip to '76 rubber bumpers front and rear

Tomorrow I will repair the chips on the deck lid edges and also fill in gaps where needed.
I now see that it would have been better to build-out the edges of the deck lid with fiberglass rather than use body filler to avoid chips while handling it for hours.

Last edited by doorgunner; 03-20-2018 at 10:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Doorgunner's '68 Convertible Project