C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Timer - 1979 L82 Corvette Frame Off Restoration Thread - LOTS OF PICTURES!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 01:45 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Priya
I don't know much about powdercoating but its my understanding that its more durable than traditional painting methods. I'd get your costs first and if you can afford powdercoating get it done. If you do decide to prime and paint it yourself use quality products, just covering it with Rustoleum won't last long.
Powder coating is great and looks awesome. I've used it on race and street motorcycles for years. The problem with it on something like a car frame is once you get scratches and chips, there is no good way to make touch ups that look good. With paint you can at least touch it up. If it is going to be a show car, it is the only way to go. It wouldn't be so good for an NCRS car.

I did the front suspension and the front portion of my frame on my 64 SS about 8 years ago with spray cans. It still looks pretty good, and I drive this car quite a bit in the summer.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:39 PM
brent319
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 139 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C3 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I would shop around and check out how much powder coating will cost. I found a place locally that does it and it was under $350 for the whole process, including sand blasting. That was an easy decision at that price. I know that prices vary a lot so I would check into it and then decide. If was worth it to me not to have to deal with any of it.
Seems like it is coming along well.
Good luck and thanks for saving another vette.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing
I did the front suspension and the front portion of my frame on my 64 SS about 8 years ago with spray cans. It still looks pretty good, and I drive this car quite a bit in the summer.
Yes, I suppose depending on what kind of driving you do it can last a while. I based my experience on a vehicle that was used year round in a lot of nasty winter weather and freeze/thaw cycles. In that situation you'd get two years at most out of a rust paint and generally need to reapply every year.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:03 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Yes, I suppose depending on what kind of driving you do it can last a while. I based my experience on a vehicle that was used year round in a lot of nasty winter weather and freeze/thaw cycles. In that situation you'd get two years at most out of a rust paint and generally need to reapply every year.
I live in a Minneapolis suburb. If I was to drive my 64 SS year round up here, it would be solid rust. They use so much salt here that everything rusts and rots out.
Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Chadillac2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tokim
The build threads are the best.
Another one following along with your build.
Keep your eyes on the prize.
Nice to hear you're following along!

Originally Posted by brent319
I would shop around and check out how much powder coating will cost. I found a place locally that does it and it was under $350 for the whole process, including sand blasting. That was an easy decision at that price. I know that prices vary a lot so I would check into it and then decide. If was worth it to me not to have to deal with any of it.
Seems like it is coming along well.
Good luck and thanks for saving another vette.
This is my plan once I get everything removed from the frame. At $350 I'd drop it off and let them handle the whole deal too.

I'm in NC, so the winters aren't too terrible. But with that said, this isn't something I really want to touch up or reapply ever, so if powdercoating is somewhat affordable, I'll probably take a lot of items and drop them off.

Last edited by Chadillac2000; 08-04-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:28 PM
4SPDL81
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Is that your build sheet still attached to the gas tank?...Do your best to save it if you can....good luck!
Old 10-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Chadillac2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4SPDL81
Is that your build sheet still attached to the gas tank?...Do your best to save it if you can....good luck!
No idea! I wasn't sure what that was, but I'll take a closer look the next time I'm at the garage. That'd definitely be something to save!

Last edited by Chadillac2000; 01-09-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:42 PM
69L46vert
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I also really appreciate you documenting your work Chadillac. You're off to a flying start. Thanks, and keep up the courage!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:24 PM
txdoglover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for saving it. So sad to see what it looked like before. A crime!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 09:26 PM
Chadillac2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by 69L46vert
I also really appreciate you documenting your work Chadillac. You're off to a flying start. Thanks, and keep up the courage!
Originally Posted by txdoglover
thanks for saving it. So sad to see what it looked like before. A crime!!!
Thanks guys!

I'm going to strip everything off the frame tomorrow. More pictures to come!

Last edited by Chadillac2000; 01-09-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:46 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't know much about powdercoating but its my understanding that its more durable than traditional painting methods. I'd get your costs first and if you can afford powdercoating get it done. If you do decide to prime and paint it yourself use quality products, just covering it with Rustoleum won't last long.
Mine cost me $500.00 that included the sandblasting and all cross members and the front bumper support metal.

Doing great work, once its all apart 9on my frame off) I boxed up stuff in groups and as I got to that area I unboxed that box with all nuts and bolts in baggies all marked.

Once it starts going back together it get so much easer.

I'm in Texas so the cost is likely different

Tim
Old 10-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by v2racing
Powder coating is great and looks awesome. I've used it on race and street motorcycles for years. The problem with it on something like a car frame is once you get scratches and chips, there is no good way to make touch ups that look good. With paint you can at least touch it up. If it is going to be a show car, it is the only way to go. It wouldn't be so good for an NCRS car.

You can touch up Powder coating with a heat gun. You make a small amount in a liquid form that can spray on with a touchup gun then using a heat gun to melt the powder to match.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:11 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadillac2000

Background Story

-- The car was recently given to me before being sold for scrap.
-- Has sat for the past 7-8 years under a carport without being driven.
-- Was running at the time it was parked.

Really? someone was going to scrap this car out? wow
Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you are indeed trying to keep costs low so you can sell this car, I wouldn't worry about powder coating a frame. Try spending that extra expense to fix the hole in the floor.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Chadillac2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
Mine cost me $500.00 that included the sandblasting and all cross members and the front bumper support metal.

Doing great work, once its all apart 9on my frame off) I boxed up stuff in groups and as I got to that area I unboxed that box with all nuts and bolts in baggies all marked.

Once it starts going back together it get so much easer.

I'm in Texas so the cost is likely different

Tim
Not a bad idea. I'll definitely be taking your advice on keeping all the bolts in marked sandwich bags.

Originally Posted by jr73
Really? someone was going to scrap this car out? wow
Exactly my thoughts. But the car was originally my grandmother's sister-in-law's. She passed away a long time ago and it wasn't driven much after.

Originally Posted by briankeery
If you are indeed trying to keep costs low so you can sell this car, I wouldn't worry about powder coating a frame. Try spending that extra expense to fix the hole in the floor.
I'm somewhat leaning towards this option. I'll probably invest in some sandblasting, but I'll probably prime and spray the frame and pieces myself.

The money can be better spent in other ways.

ALSO...no build sheet on the gas tank. The paper may have had writing on it at some point, but it's blank now.

Last edited by Chadillac2000; 01-09-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:02 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

The next step is removing the majority of the components from the frame. Once we have that done, we can move on to getting this frame stripped down and repainted, possibly even powder coated depending on price.

Nice shot of the buildsheet! Or...what was!

Last edited by hunt4cleanair; 10-09-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Chadillac2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by hunt4cleanair
Nice shot of the buildsheet! Or...what was!
I wish it was still legible! I didn't even know they included those on the gas tanks until I did a quick Google search.

Last edited by Chadillac2000; 08-04-2014 at 12:08 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To First Timer - 1979 L82 Corvette Frame Off Restoration Thread - LOTS OF PICTURES!

Old 10-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Chadillac2000
Instructor

I had an opportunity this afternoon to spend some time stripping all the remaining items still bolted to the frame.

Menage Tois.

As you can see, the build sheet didn't stand the test of time.

And after a couple hours of wrenching, I had everything removed.

Luckily I was able to get the trailing arm bolts out rather easily which allowed the entire rear suspension and differential to be removed.

Now it's time to find somewhere to sandblast and powdercoat the frame, as well as getting quotes for a variety of things.

Last edited by Chadillac2000; 08-04-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Chadillac2000
Instructor

After calling around to a few places this weekend, I found a powder coating facility locally that can take care of the sandblasting and powdercoating for $550-$600, so I'll be dropping it off on Tuesday and getting it back Monday of the following week.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to which parts of the restoration I should attack next. Paint? Drivetrain? Suspension?
Old 10-12-2013, 09:24 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

I Think the best thing to do is work on getting a rolling frame, makes it much easer to move around the shop and you can put wheel rollers under it once the suspension is back together. Are you going to make any mods to the suspension? No sense in doing work twice. Are you going to rebuild the Trailing arms? Are you leaving the stock rear and front springs? You have lots of choices to make.

Quick Reply: First Timer - 1979 L82 Corvette Frame Off Restoration Thread - LOTS OF PICTURES!