C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rant of Aftermarket (vinatge air)

Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gdh, sorry to confuse you. JasonB86 is correct, the end results to me, were far greater than the installation time. I chased gremlins on my original 76 factory a/c for two years and this ended up being the best outcome. I would not consider myself a full fledged wrencher, I can change plugs, set timing etc. but not much more, however the Vintage Air install was not as tough as I expected.
Good Lick,
Bill
Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM
sweeet76
Burning Brakes

Sorry gdh, forgot to add, I live in NW Florida and last summer on a day in the upper 90* range, my system was blowing around 40* (can't fully remember) air. Many days, once the car has cooled down, I will run the a/c on less than full force.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:55 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Ok thanks, i was hoping that there was going to be a redesign of the hoses for better fitment.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:53 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by brent319
Do you have this piece in your kit?

It goes under the steering column to the drivers vent. .. I think .. :-)
If you don't, I wonder if that was added recently.
To save space under the steering column I used one more "PASSENGER SIDE DUCT EXTENSION ASM (605173-PCA)" with flex hose to each side.

Avner
Old 01-12-2014, 08:38 AM
donnie1956
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Install in 78, I'll add to rant

The install was not plug and play by a long shot. Lots of improvements to kit could be made but they probably won't. They don't make a kit for 78-82 so I got the universal. I just sucked it up and forced everything in. Lost the glove box and the controls for the universal kit I used looked like they belong on a lawn mower. For what these kits cost they could have provided a few extra types of hose styles.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Jasonb86
Racer

Originally Posted by donnie1956
The install was not plug and play by a long shot. Lots of improvements to kit could be made but they probably won't. They don't make a kit for 78-82 so I got the universal. I just sucked it up and forced everything in. Lost the glove box and the controls for the universal kit I used looked like they belong on a lawn mower. For what these kits cost they could have provided a few extra types of hose styles.
I think it makes sense that a 'universal' kit would not be plug and play. The kit I ordered for my '70 was installed by me, following the precise instructions, in an afternoon. The install was so easy that I'm going to put a kit in my 1970 Mustang as well as I'd like the same straightforward installtion and modern performance in that car as well.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:22 PM
efather
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once I received the extra hose, I was able to tuck next to the driver console, and install the center bezel fine. it pulled though and installed with some persuasion. I think the 2 center hosed should be about 6-8 inches longer, and then they could be hidden and routed better.

But now it is in, so next will be to test it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rant of Aftermarket (vinatge air)