Good single din radio for c3?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Good single din radio for c3?

Looking for info on what's good currently for single din radios. I currently have a Model One from retrosound but it drains the battery after a week, making it pretty useless, lol. In any case, I want to try and replace it with a real radio, like a pioneer, kenwood, etc. However, I haven't really kept up with what is currently good and what's junk. I would prefer not to have to add an amp as well (at least to start), so having good power onboard would be a plus.

I've also seen those units that have the touch screens that slide out, anyone have any experience with those? They look cool but they also look like they may be an accident waiting to happen (i.e. motorized screen breaks).

Anyone have any issues with length of the radio? The model one didn't really have any length issues, but I know that most radios are a lot longer than the model one.

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2014, 12:12 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by taylor34
Looking for info on what's good currently for single din radios. I currently have a Model One from retrosound but it drains the battery after a week, making it pretty useless, lol. In any case, I want to try and replace it with a real radio, like a pioneer, kenwood, etc. However, I haven't really kept up with what is currently good and what's junk. I would prefer not to have to add an amp as well (at least to start), so having good power onboard would be a plus.

I've also seen those units that have the touch screens that slide out, anyone have any experience with those? They look cool but they also look like they may be an accident waiting to happen (i.e. motorized screen breaks).

Anyone have any issues with length of the radio? The model one didn't really have any length issues, but I know that most radios are a lot longer than the model one.

Thanks!
I went with this radio, mainly because it was designed to fit a Corvette. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-USA-630-II-300-watt-68-76-Corvette-AM-FM-Stereo-Radio-iPod-USB-Aux-inputs-/121084410204?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c3131795cIt also has the look of old...until you power it up. I've done a mod involving the USB/MP3 port on the radio by putting it and a few other items in my ashtray. With 2 dash and 2 kick panel speakers the only thing lacking is bass. I doubt it's the 75 watt per channel they rate it at, but it sounds good.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:37 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patro46
I went with this radio, mainly because it was designed to fit a Corvette. New USA 630 II 300 Watt '68 76 Corvette Am FM Stereo Radio iPod USB Aux Inputs | eBay
It also has the look of old...until you power it up. I've done a mod involving the USB/MP3 port on the radio by putting it and a few other items in my ashtray. With 2 dash and 2 kick panel speakers the only thing lacking is bass. I doubt it's the 75 watt per channel they rate it at, but it sounds good.
After my experience with the model 1, I think I'll be staying away from 'retro' radios. I think I want to go with a single din solution from a new radio like a pioneer. I looked a bunch tonight, seems like the pioneer decks from $100 to $200 have some of the best reviews overall.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:38 AM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like Kenwood, that's what I have in mine along with an Alpine 4 channel amp and Infinity Kappa speakers in both the front and rear.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:41 AM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Do you have a Single din hole or do you have the original center console plate. I looked at some of the single din's that have the screen that come out of the unit. After lots of measuring all that I checked would end up covering some of the Gages so decided on a single din I replaced the center console plate with one made for a single din. I going to use the Pioneer DEH-X8500BS, But it depends on what features you want. Some things I want is Blue tooth, Pandora, color changing, Aux USB port. This unit has them all. I will be running a 5 channel amp so the output power was not important. My gages can change color so wanted to be able to be the same color as my gages. I use the USB port for a mini ipod for my music. If you go on cruchfield.com you can pick what fits your needs.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:28 AM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tim 1973
Do you have a Single din hole or do you have the original center console plate. I looked at some of the single din's that have the screen that come out of the unit. After lots of measuring all that I checked would end up covering some of the Gages so decided on a single din I replaced the center console plate with one made for a single din. I going to use the Pioneer DEH-X8500BS, But it depends on what features you want. Some things I want is Blue tooth, Pandora, color changing, Aux USB port. This unit has them all. I will be running a 5 channel amp so the output power was not important. My gages can change color so wanted to be able to be the same color as my gages. I use the USB port for a mini ipod for my music. If you go on cruchfield.com you can pick what fits your needs.
I have the original plate but I'm going to order the single din hole one. The 8500 was one was looking at tonight. Btw, do you have that color changing kit from that Atlanta shop? I can't get ahold of them, I'd love to order that but haven't been able to get ahold of anyone.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:44 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

I used to have a Kenwood Excellon and swapped in an Alpine. Much better sound as far as I am concerned. I am also running an Alpine amp, front dash speakers are Alpine with rears being Polk Momo 6.5's. Whatever one you choose the usb option is so much better than hauling cd's around.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:07 AM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

old cars need old(ish) radios.

here's my Alpine 7502. I'm running an Alpine 3555 amp with a 10'' sub and 2 6x9s. (will be replaced with 6.5'' components this year.)

If I want to listen to Pandora, SiriusXM or MP3s, I use a cassette adapter like we used to in the '90's

Old 01-29-2014, 10:26 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd like something with bluetooth too, my wife always seems to call me when I'm in the Vette it's difficult to change gears and talk to her at the same time... That's a great price on the Pioneer too!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:04 AM
malicatasr
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hooked up an FM modulator and just play my ipod.

QWANK I like your shifter in the picture I can see it's a Hurst, but which one. I like that it's looks like a short throw.

Originally Posted by qwank
old cars need old(ish) radios.

here's my Alpine 7502. I'm running an Alpine 3555 amp with a 10'' sub and 2 6x9s. (will be replaced with 6.5'' components this year.)

If I want to listen to Pandora, SiriusXM or MP3s, I use a cassette adapter like we used to in the '90's

Old 01-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

I have the original plate but I'm going to order the single din hole one. The 8500 was one was looking at tonight. Btw, do you have that color changing kit from that Atlanta shop? I can't get ahold of them, I'd love to order that but haven't been able to get ahold of anyone.
No I built it. Not much to it... The hardest part is making the rings that you mount the lights to and that might take 20 min for all 3.

All parts are available on line.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:36 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by malicatasr
QWANK I like your shifter in the picture I can see it's a Hurst, but which one. I like that it's looks like a short throw.
thanks, its a Hurst shift stick for a 5th gen Camaro. Part number 5387201.

I have a Richmond 5 speed with a Long shifter. the Hurst stick is a bolt on. Will most likely work with any Hurst shifter as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HURST-5387201-REPLACEMENT-CHROME-SHIFTER-STICK-6-3-8-Long-Handle-/301082724110?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4619edc70e&vxp=mtr
Old 01-29-2014, 12:47 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
thanks, its a Hurst shift stick for a 5th gen Camaro. Part number 5387201.

I have a Richmond 5 speed with a Long shifter. the Hurst stick is a bolt on. Will most likely work with any Hurst shifter as well.

Hurst 5387201 Replacement Chrome Shifter Stick 6 3 8" Long Handle | eBay
Is the effort way higher because of the shorter shifter? Based on your tranny, how do you think this might impact the effort on a Muncie?

Tx

vetfever
Old 01-29-2014, 03:30 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Is the effort way higher because of the shorter shifter? Based on your tranny, how do you think this might impact the effort on a Muncie?

Tx

vetfever
I had an automatic transmission before I installed the Richmond, so I have nothing to compare it to really, but it shifts smoothly with little effort.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:49 PM
pacecar620
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=taylor34;1586034067]Looking for info on what's good currently for single din radios. I currently have a Model One from retrosound but it drains the battery after a week, making it pretty useless, lol.

Most any electronic tuning radio will drain your batter to some extent. They have a built-in memory circuit that constantly draws a minute amount of current to maintain all your station and tone/balance/fader settings. My Battery Tender Jr. keeps me juiced up
Old 01-29-2014, 08:23 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=pacecar620;1586044372]
Looking for info on what's good currently for single din radios. I currently have a Model One from retrosound but it drains the battery after a week, making it pretty useless, lol.

Most any electronic tuning radio will drain your batter to some extent. They have a built-in memory circuit that constantly draws a minute amount of current to maintain all your station and tone/balance/fader settings. My Battery Tender Jr. keeps me juiced up
But after a week or two? That's what kills me is that I drive my car on the weekends mostly, and when I go to drive it the battery is dead quite a bit of the time, lol. But that is a reasonable suggestion, and perhaps worth looking into (well at least until the model one dies on me a second time).

Btw, what is up with all the single din head units looking like they're from the mid 1990's? If you put them all in a row, I wouldn't be able to tell which one was the newest one. They all using the same black face with some sort of multi-color led technology that started coming out in the mid 90's...hasn't anyone come up with anything better in 20 years? Kind of surprising. The double din units on the other hand look light years better than they used to.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=taylor34;1586046632]
Originally Posted by pacecar620

But after a week or two? That's what kills me is that I drive my car on the weekends mostly, and when I go to drive it the battery is dead quite a bit of the time, lol. But that is a reasonable suggestion, and perhaps worth looking into (well at least until the model one dies on me a second time).
I have 2 vehicles that have single din systems in them and sometimes its a month or two so between starts. 1937 Dodge PU and a 93 Firebird, The bird also has a alarm system that has the flashing light.

I never have issues starting them.

You might have something else draining your battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Good single din radio for c3?

Old 01-29-2014, 08:52 PM
taylor34
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=Tim 1973;1586046774]

I have 2 vehicles that have single din systems in them and sometimes its a month or two so between starts. 1937 Dodge PU and a 93 Firebird, The bird also has a alarm system that has the flashing light.

I never have issues starting them.

You might have something else draining your battery.
I didn't have battery issues until I installed the radio...and now that I've disconnected the radio, I stopped having issues. So I'm reasonably sure it's the radio, but it could just be a coincidence.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Tim 1973
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=taylor34;1586046907]

I didn't have battery issues until I installed the radio...and now that I've disconnected the radio, I stopped having issues. So I'm reasonably sure it's the radio, but it could just be a coincidence.
Might be with that unit or just that model...
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

you should be able to let it sit at least 30 days with out the battery dying.

have you had your battery tested recently?

Quick Reply: Good single din radio for c3?