New 1982 Cloth Seats Victory

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:44 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Default *

Originally Posted by briankeery
Only 517 interiors out of over 53,000 cars built in 1979......so in my case, pretty rare.

Yes - but, not quite as rare as you might think from a percentage standpoint. Your dark green cloth interior was still 21% of the 2,426 green 1979 C3's. And, since there were only 907 dark green leather interiors, your cloth interior represented 36% of all dark green interiors. So, you're spot on, there are not very many dark green interiors on the road compared to Oyster, Blue and Beige which each easily broke 2000 apiece, but over a third of customers/dealers who ordered a dark green interior apparently did decide on the cloth option.

http://vettefacts.com/C3/1979.aspx
Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Brack c
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

NOW i find this thread ...my 82 had cloth and i couldnt find from any distributor . so i said , wth , and bought leather ......oh weell , such is life . Seats look great though
Old 08-08-2017, 11:18 PM
6mn Vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having original cloth seats in my '82, those look great!
Old 08-09-2017, 11:37 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 6mn Vette
Having original cloth seats in my '82, those look great!
Thanks a lot.
I'm happy to provide details on where I sourced the original seat fabric at a company (SMS Fabrics, Oregon) that specializes in buying balanced-out OEM fabrics from OEM suppliers through the decades. $89/yd. and you need 3 yards. And, I had the material sent directly to Al Knoch to sew the seats and install new foam. The new foam is firmer than what you are used to in a 35 yr. old seat - but softens up after a season. They look and feel like they probably did from the original Chevy showroom when new, except I splurged a little ($75/seat) and had Al Knoch embroider the emblems. The total was just under $1100 for the pair. Leather would have saved $ @ $800, but the car's code says cloth and we like it better than leather which our other cars have. Very glad that I did. Then I liberally sprayed the installed seats with anti-UV and anti-stain sprays (Joanne Fabric sells it) to give them a good chance to look as good as new for a long time. We drive our car a lot which often includes parking it outdoors when the Summer sun is making for a beautiful hiking, or picnic day. No need to worry as much about the fade factor while enjoying the car. Dave V.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Lakeside49; 08-19-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:01 AM
tdahlbach
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Find

I know this is an older thread, wondering if this option is still available. I recently purchased an '82 two-tone blue for my Dad. He has become pretty ill and his pride and joy was a two-tone blue '82 many years ago. I'm in the process of restoring the one I just bought and wanted to put cloth seats in it because that is what his original one had, but I have not been able to find anything. Any info would be appriciated.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by tdahlbach
I know this is an older thread, wondering if this option is still available. I recently purchased an '82 two-tone blue for my Dad. He has become pretty ill and his pride and joy was a two-tone blue '82 many years ago. I'm in the process of restoring the one I just bought and wanted to put cloth seats in it because that is what his original one had, but I have not been able to find anything. Any info would be appriciated.
I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to do this. Contact Al Knochs interirors about having your covers made with material you supply. Here's the web site of a company I got my material from for having cloth seat covers made:

https://originalauto.com/

http://www.alknochinteriors.com/

Last edited by Priya; 08-19-2017 at 01:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedRacerMach (05-04-2018)
Old 12-22-2020, 01:07 PM
6mn Vette
Instructor

1) So, 3 yards will take care of both seats?
2) You stripped down the seat frames and shipped them to Knoch?
Old 12-22-2020, 01:08 PM
6mn Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
Thanks a lot.
I'm happy to provide details on where I sourced the original seat fabric at a company (SMS Fabrics, Oregon) that specializes in buying balanced-out OEM fabrics from OEM suppliers through the decades. $89/yd. and you need 3 yards. And, I had the material sent directly to Al Knoch to sew the seats and install new foam. The new foam is firmer than what you are used to in a 35 yr. old seat - but softens up after a season. They look and feel like they probably did from the original Chevy showroom when new, except I splurged a little ($75/seat) and had Al Knoch embroider the emblems. The total was just under $1100 for the pair. Leather would have saved $ @ $800, but the car's code says cloth and we like it better than leather which our other cars have. Very glad that I did. Then I liberally sprayed the installed seats with anti-UV and anti-stain sprays (Joanne Fabric sells it) to give them a good chance to look as good as new for a long time. We drive our car a lot which often includes parking it outdoors when the Summer sun is making for a beautiful hiking, or picnic day. No need to worry as much about the fade factor while enjoying the car. Dave V.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:36 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I bought 3 yards to send to Al Knoch to make new seat covers for me, they told me it wasn't enough, they needed 4 yards (if I remember correctly). Because the 3 yards was already cut they told me I'd need to buy another piece 2 yards long to do it. So I ended up paying for shipping twice and bought five yards instead of four. Make sure you check with Al Knoch first. As well, when I got a price from them to make seat covers with my material, the originally quoted me the same price as they sell leather seat covers for. I gently asked why the price would be the same as the higher priced leather seat covers when I was supplying the material and they dropped their price to me to something I felt was more reasonable.

From reading lakeside49's post it sounds like he just sent them the material and after they sewed the seat covers they installed it on their new foam cushions. That's what I did.They're probably not going to want you to ship them your old seat cushions to install the new seat covers on, they'll want to sell you new cushions. It'll be up to you to remove your old cushions from the fiberglass seat buckets and install the new ones.

Last edited by Priya; 12-22-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:08 PM
MattoonVette
Living the Vette life....
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 166 Posts

Absolutely beautiful! Great job! My first 81 Vette had cloth seats and was a 4 speed. I really liked the cloth and will have to give SMS a call to see if I can get the fabric in black.
Old 12-23-2020, 03:47 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

I sent you a PM on this topic. My original post is accurate.
In summary, once you locate the original cloth (I used SMS Fabrics, but there are others) they need (3) yards (unbroken) and will return the excess. I had SMS send it directly to Al Knoch who were really friendly and professional. They will add the new foam - don't try to do that yourself, especially with cloth seat covers - and, the new foam is again firm/supportive as new. They arrive ready to install in your clamshells, though I first removed and dyed mine and the power seat switch bezel (Corvette America dye), and re-painted/lubed the seat tracks. They look factory new. I then sold my old cloth seats, which admittedly were in good shape, for $200 for the set on ebay to a local C3 owner.

Overall, it costs a bit more than leather (cloth was a no-charge option), but its so much more comfortable/non-sweaty so we absolutely could not be happier.

Btw, you should know that what you are doing for your father is the stuff of Saints. He raised an exceptional family as reflected in you.
Merry Christmas and good luck on your project - hope this helps, and, pls share your progress/learnings!

Last edited by Lakeside49; 12-23-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2020, 04:41 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

I sent you a PM on this topic. My original post is accurate.
In summary, once you locate the original cloth (I used SMS Fabrics, but there are others) they need (3) yards (unbroken) and will return the excess.
I have no doubt they told you 3 yards and they made them for you with three yards. I also had a local shop tell me 3 yards to make the seats but that wasn't my experience with Al Knoch. I bought the 3 yards based on this thread, had it shipped to me, contacted them and they told me 3 yards wasn't enough, they needed 4 yards unbroken and given my 3 yard piece they needed another two yards. Maybe the person making my seat covers was inexperienced or something but when I bought mine they insisted on 4 unbroken yards when I contacted them.

It costs you nothing to check with them before you purchase the cloth and have it sent to them, just sayin'

Last edited by Priya; 12-23-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Lakeside49 (12-23-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 06:29 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Priya
I have no doubt they told you 3 yards and they made them for you with three yards. I also had a local shop tell me 3 yards to make the seats but that wasn't my experience with Al Knoch. I bought the 3 yards based on this thread, had it shipped to me, contacted them and they told me 3 yards wasn't enough, they needed 4 yards unbroken and given my 3 yard piece they needed another two yards. Maybe the person making my seat covers was inexperienced or something but when I bought mine they insisted on 4 unbroken yards when I contacted them.

It costs you nothing to check with them before you purchase the cloth and have it sent to them, just sayin'
Hi Priya,
good advice. What was weird was they had enough left over to do the lower section of one more seat and sent it to me with the seats. I still have the fabric, just in case. As I think about it, you know what, they (Al Knoch) may have reached out to SMS directly before they shipped it to them and requested an extra yard without putting me in the middle since they had already quoted me. That would explain it. Either way, I can't get over what a nice job Al Knoch did and how well they coordinated with SMS.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:45 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Hi Priya,
good advice. What was weird was they had enough left over to do the lower section of one more seat and sent it to me with the seats. I still have the fabric, just in case. As I think about it, you know what, they (Al Knoch) may have reached out to SMS directly before they shipped it to them and requested an extra yard without putting me in the middle since they had already quoted me. That would explain it. Either way, I can't get over what a nice job Al Knoch did and how well they coordinated with SMS.
It's too bad I didn't think to coordinate the fabric supplier with Al Knoch. I had the supplier ship the fabric to me both times and then I shipped it all to Al Knoch, Given that I'm in Canada that made the total shipping cost pretty high.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:54 PM
6mn Vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Priya
It's too bad I didn't think to coordinate the fabric supplier with Al Knoch. I had the supplier ship the fabric to me both times and then I shipped it all to Al Knoch, Given that I'm in Canada that made the total shipping cost pretty high.
Did you do yours years ago, or in the past year?
Old 06-04-2021, 06:05 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Did you do yours years ago, or in the past year?
I think it was 2018.

Edit: It was 2016.

Last edited by Priya; 06-04-2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 06:29 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Wow...those look TERRIFIC....of course if it was Arkansas...they'd be on your front porch!
Great Job.

Don't feel bad....I'm putting VINYL clamshells in the 69....all told, I'm at $1100....$550 each.

Unkahal

Get notified of new replies

To New 1982 Cloth Seats Victory

Old 06-04-2021, 06:49 PM
MattoonVette
Living the Vette life....
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 166 Posts

I am trying to find the same cloth for my 81 but in black. Just sent a message to SMS to see if they might have something that will work.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:47 PM
Corvettian
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 C3 original cloth seats

Is anyone still looking for cloth seats? I have a pair of 2 tone, black and gray cloth seats for the 81. Driver side is power, passenger is manual. Original equipment! Not covers or reproductions!

Old 07-01-2022, 06:03 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvettian
Is anyone still looking for cloth seats? I have a pair of 2 tone, black and gray cloth seats for the 81. Driver side is power, passenger is manual. Original equipment! Not covers or reproductions!
Post an ad in C3 parts for sale, instead of posting here.
Corvettian (07-02-2022)

Quick Reply: New 1982 Cloth Seats Victory