Sponsored by:

washing your cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:46 AM
txdoglover
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default washing your cars

What do you guys use to wash and dry your cars with? I hand wash mine and dry it before I leave the car wash. I have found that some of the microfiber cloths aren't as absorbable as I would like. Do you wash your drying towels with or without fabric softener? I'm thinking the fabric softener may make absorbancy worse.
I've been seeing some very fine scratches on my paint and we noticed some of them last month after it was at the mechanics for work. Thinking maybe they are not being as careful as I would like when they work on it. Or maybe it's what I'm drying it with? Thoughts? thanks.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:21 AM
gluvnaa
Instructor

I have a black 69 and have tried several waterless car washes.

I think that they are all pretty similar, but I prefer Griots b/c I feel it dries cleaner. You can get it at any local auto parts store.
Mothers is a close second though.

I use 2 high end mirco fiber clothes. One for spray application and one for clean wipe.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 AM
carjack007
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also use Girots... I have never used soap/water.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 PM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

watch what gets in your washing cloth, that is where a lot of scratches come from. Rinse it out often during the washing part. Never use it on other cars. Some light scratches can be buffed out.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:05 PM
Gilded_Splinters
Racer

Agreed. I try not to let my wash mitt sink to the bottom of the pail as that's where grit and dirt wind up. There are things available for this, but you can probably improvise something.

Also. I try to wash the dirtiest parts of any car last. Rims, rocker panels and wheel well areas might have the most junk on 'em, so why not do those areas last?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:07 PM
MrJlr
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilded_Splinters
Agreed. I try not to let my wash mitt sink to the bottom of the pail as that's where grit and dirt wind up. There are things available for this, but you can probably improvise something.

Also. I try to wash the dirtiest parts of any car last. Rims, rocker panels and wheel well areas might have the most junk on 'em, so why not do those areas last?

The "top-down" approach

Old 03-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Dustup7T2
Terrorizing Orange Cones
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Since my car is frequently driven and has a repaint, I haven't been overly attentive to the wiping tools used. Painted color code 972 Classic White, any imperfections also show the least.

Primarily, I do my washing at a local dollar (remember when they used to call them quarter?) car wash, in a bay vs the conveyor-pass-through. The car sits too low to run there so it sits while I wand and soapy brush the road grime off.

Of course, employing a public soapy brush can hold grime from previous users if not rinsed in a holding reservoir. Again, I'm not too concerned but I clear the obvious before use.

After rinsing with the wand then I have a dedicated Sham-wow chamois wanna-be that is constantly rinsed to dry the car. If soiled during use, I use waterless hand cleaner, like Goop, to hand clean the chamois and air dry after returning home.

Once home, I lay down a fresh coat of Mothers carnuba wax about every fifth or sixth washing. On average, I probably wash the car 4 times a month during driving season.

In spite of other's comments, I haven't washed the paint off yet.

The car is returned to a best of ten-footer status and is as clean as the paint will be until I rack up more miles.

Last edited by Dustup7T2; 03-03-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:24 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I use Mothers dry wash on mine, have a few leaks I need to sort out before I can think about washing with soap and water, but the mothers works fine for me.

To answer your question about using fabric softener on towels, yes it will make the towel less absorbent.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:14 PM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carjack007
I also use Girots... I have never used soap/water.
I'm with you my 69 Mustang I restored has never seen water by rain or a faucet. My Vette will not either if its ever finished.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:18 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

I use the quarter car wash sprayer, but only if they have a "Spotless" rinse option on the selector. It dries while I drive...spotlessly.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:31 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

I've been using "The Absorber" for about five years to dry my black '71, and like it. I use Turtle Wax car wash and two buckets, one for soap and one with clean water to rinse out the dirty sponge before putting it back in the soapy water. I drive my car alot, so I wash it alot, too.

https://www.cleantools.net/products/absorber-xl/
Old 03-03-2014, 03:43 PM
gluvnaa
Instructor

For my DD, I also use the 2 bucket method. Its really amazing to see the dirt in bucket#1 and to keep bucket#2 cleaner. I have also heard of a 3 BUCKET method - but Im not THAT picky on my DD. :-)

I also use the Absorber.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:25 PM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gluvnaa
For my DD, I also use the 2 bucket method. Its really amazing to see the dirt in bucket#1 and to keep bucket#2 cleaner. I have also heard of a 3 BUCKET method - but Im not THAT picky on my DD. :-)

I also use the Absorber.
Never seen the absorber but my neighbor has a squeegee that he uses. He gave me one and its actually pretty cool. I use it on my DD but not on my collectables.

Detailer's Choice 6312 Squeegee Car Dryer 12"- 1 each : Amazon.com : Automotive Detailer's Choice 6312 Squeegee Car Dryer 12"- 1 each : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 03-03-2014, 05:56 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Detail spray and microfibre cloths.........no water NEVER.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 542 Posts

I use the squeegee too. DOes not scratch or does not leave any spots. Especially good on outside of windows.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:14 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Originally Posted by gluvnaa
I have a black 69 and have tried several waterless car washes.

I think that they are all pretty similar, but I prefer Griots b/c I feel it dries cleaner. You can get it at any local auto parts store.
Mothers is a close second though.

I use 2 high end mirco fiber clothes. One for spray application and one for clean wipe.

Hope this helps.
This ^ I use Griot's! Car hasn't seen water in many many years other than the ah chit rain while out and about.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM
jkippin
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 226 Likes on 148 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

anybody ever use pledge?? I have a 71 c10 super that is Dark Olive Green and I put down a good coat of Mothers on it a few times during the summer. When I get ready to go someplace for a quick cruise and don't have time for a good coat of wax I use Pledge. LOL The nice thing I found about it is if you have any crazing on a Vette it wont leave wax residue in the cracks and leaves an awesome shine.
AS far as I know it does not affect the Carnauba wax....hasn't for me yet any way.

Get notified of new replies

To washing your cars

Old 03-03-2014, 08:22 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wash mine at home using a garden nozzle that has the shower setting. I use what ever car wash that is on sale and rinse good. I use a water blade to get most of the water off and finish with terry towels and micro fibers. A coat of McGuires glaze and wax over that seems to make the swirls go away. A California duster is used between washings. I need to work on my 79 to build it's shine up but my 95 LeBaron looked pretty good using this method. Remember to wipe the door jamb's, pop the hood and dry any thing that has gotten wet. Works good for me.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:39 PM
hereigo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14
Default Wash Car

Then dry with compressed and dried air.
I replaced the furnace at a Porsche dealership and learned how the pros detail a new delivery....
I am in the heat and air business, built a refrigerated air dryer like the dealership had....MUST be dry air....
Old 03-03-2014, 08:48 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hereigo
Then dry with compressed and dried air.
I replaced the furnace at a Porsche dealership and learned how the pros detail a new delivery....
I am in the heat and air business, built a refrigerated air dryer like the dealership had....MUST be dry air....
Leaf blowers work as well

Quick Reply: washing your cars