Sponsored by:

1969 Issue gas filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Issue gas filter?

Hello I am new to the forum. I have a 1969 Corvette Convertable tri Black 4 speed 350/300 all original. Sorry no pics on this site yet. The other day the wife and I were driving it home after getting ice cream and I decided to get on it. Well she took right off and after a short time she just nosed down and lost power. I backed off the gas and she crused fine. Stomped on her again and same thing. I am not new to cars so to me this acts like a gas filter not letting enough gas in under heavy foot conditions. After the small bowl area is empty she nose dives. I went to check the filter on the carb but found out there was not one there. So now whats left is the more expensive one around 50.00. The only other thing I can think of is the pump not being able to keep up. Am I going in the right direction or is the corvette a different animal with an issue like this?
Thanks for the time
Paul
Old 07-15-2014, 09:47 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Original 69 fuel filters were metal and attached to the AIR pump. There may be an additional filter in the carb fitting.

When was the last time the car was tuned? Q-Jet rebuilt?

Last edited by Easy Mike; 07-15-2014 at 09:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Original 69 fuel filters were metal and attached to the AIR pump. There may be an additional filter in the carb fitting.

When was the last time the car was tuned? Q-Jet rebuilt?
Yes I understand this about the filter being metal. That one with the proper markings cost 54.00. There should be another one in the Q-jet but was missing 2.99. I just did a tune and runs great. Can not tell you the last time the q-jet was rebuilt but it was done durring the frame off resto.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by Paul.Ebach
Yes I understand this about the filter being metal. That one with the proper markings cost 54.00. There should be another one in the Q-jet but was missing 2.99. I just did a tune and runs great. Can not tell you the last time the q-jet was rebuilt but it was done durring the frame off resto.
Hi Paul,

You should only have 1 fuel filter, and for '69 it was only the metal-housing external fuel filter. Redundant filters could give you an excess pressure drop and could potentially cause the same problem you have now!

Stick with the correct external filter. It is pricey, but it also has the fuel return line off the top as well.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 AM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LeMans Pete
Hi Paul,

You should only have 1 fuel filter, and for '69 it was only the metal-housing external fuel filter. Redundant filters could give you an excess pressure drop and could potentially cause the same problem you have now!

Stick with the correct external filter. It is pricey, but it also has the fuel return line off the top as well.
What about this filterhttp://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1975.html
This is why I said the 2 filters.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

What about this filterhttp://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1968-1975.html
This is why I said the 2 filters.
I do believe it came from the factory with two filters as the q-jets would have come from Rochester with the filter installed - St. Louis would have just threaded the line into it.

But, you can operate it without the filter in the carb without issue, but for configuration purposes you need that external filter. Or, you can plumb the lines yourself.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:50 PM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

I just want it to be correct with the correct filter or filiters. I have no problem with the external filter and I will have it by this weekend. Will it show in the manual if the car came with 1 or 2 filters?
Old 07-15-2014, 01:04 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I just want it to be correct with the correct filter or filiters. I have no problem with the external filter and I will have it by this weekend. Will it show in the manual if the car came with 1 or 2 filters?
Since the filter in the carb was installed before it arrived at the assembly plant, you will only see the assembly of the external filter.

Correct from the factory will be both filters installed. Someone like Lars recommends only installing one filter.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Thank you very much LeMans Pete you have been very helpful and sorry I ask too many questions.
Thanks for your time
Paul
Old 07-15-2014, 01:46 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Thank you very much LeMans Pete you have been very helpful and sorry I ask too many questions. Thanks for your time Paul
Questions are always welcome Paul! Looks like a gorgeous car.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Paul.Ebach
Intermediate

Thank you

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Issue gas filter?

Quick Reply: 1969 Issue gas filter?