Some People

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 05:07 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Some People

Just to set the stage:
I frequent a night cruise-in that happens every Friday evening at a shopping center near me. There is usually better than 250 cars from every genera: classic muscle, modern muscle, foreign, domestic, hot rods, rat rods, kit cars, cars from the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, trucks, military vehicles, motorcycles. Vehicles in every level of condition from engine compartment with 40+ years of dirt and grease to compartments so clean you can eat out of them; factory restorations to customs; it doesn't matter, they’re all good. Usually it’s a great time. This particular day, Corvettes were well represented with C1’s, C2’s, C3’s, C4’s thru C6’s. No C7’s this day; a lot of mid-years, but chrome bumper C3’s were under represented. Mine is a 71 LS5 with a 4-speed, and black leather interior, coded Nevada Silver, but re-spayed red. The interior looks good, no tears in the dash or doors panels, interior color is good, so is condition of the seats, just a few wear spots, pretty light wear for a 43 year old car. The carpet is really good in driver and passenger compartment, but the bulk head is a little faded. I have a carpet kit and an upholstery kit for the seats, but can’t bring myself the redo them because they are only original once. The re-spray is presentable but there is an adhesion issue at the rear taillights that I will have address, but this may take so time to deal with because I do all the work of the car and will have to figure out how to do it. The rear frame was sprayed with a POR-15 product when the prior owner had the rear trailing arms rebuilt and a composite spring installed. I have had it almost 4 years. I rebuilt the front suspension from the steering column forward, and if the parts weren’t replaced, I refinished them. I sanded every part on the frame I could get to and painted it with Rust Bullet and there black top coat. I did more sanding and painting on the frame when I took the rear differential out to have it rebuilt. When I did this I refinished the strut rods and other rear suspension hardware, replaced the universals and half shafts. I replaced the brake and fuel lines, the calipers are rebuilt, new rotors. The engine and drive train is original and the engine and engine compartment has been cleaned up as good as I can get it. The engine paint looks good, no grease or oil, but the compartment has an aged patina about it. I am sort of a day two guy so I have a set of ceramic coat heaters and a Magna Flow exhaust system. Otherwise, I try to keep it factory correct, air cleaner, decals, braided ignition wires, it looks good and pretty correct. It has a fabricated radiator that I am not fond of. However, I have a Dewitts direct fit radiator a cooling fan set-up to replace it with and will do so when I figure out how to wire it.

I’m not the type of guy that hovers over my car, nor am I the sort to start closing it up and leave well people are looking at the car. I usually walk around, but if I’m near my car, I just stand back and let people look and enjoy, graciously accept any comments and answer any questions that are ask. So on this particular night I was coming back to my car with a folding chair from where my son had his car parked. I noticed that there were two guys looking over the engine compartment. So, I’m setting-up my chair and the two of them come walking by and one of the guys announce “they shine them up, but when you go over and look at them, they nothing but a box of sh#t”. What??? That was said so I could hear it…what the heck, a numbers matching big-block (know I, know I, but all the dates are right…heads too). The guy just can’t say cool, a big-block. The car looks good, drives straight, stops straight, starts every time, does over heat and has never left me stranded. So, I tell my son, and he says “but you didn’t even wash it”. Nope, I would have to put the t-tops and back window in for to wash it. What type of Jack-a## comes to a cruise-in and does that. I’m still fuming over that one. It got better when I left the cruise-in though …thumbs-up from a pretty girl on the highway. Got off the highway and pointed the long-nosed Vette down an open country road, open the secondaries and her eat. I’m still mad, had to vent. Sorry for the long rant. Life is good, but unfortunately, there are people who take it to upon there selves to rain on your parade. Still p#ssed-off. I should probably go out in the garage and shine on her a little, just to pi## him off.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:48 PM
Slotehog
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wheatpj
So, I’m setting-up my chair and the two of them come walking by and one of the guys announce “they shine them up, but when you go over and look at them, they nothing but a box of sh#t”. What???
He wasn't talking about your big block. He was almost definitely talking about his Mazda Miata painted "metallic pea"

F*ck him. You got to drive the Vette home.

Andy
Old 07-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 217 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Pics of this box?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Pics of this box?

I would like to see some also. Bet it looks better than mine.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:17 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

I noticed that there were two guys looking over the engine compartment. So, I’m setting-up my chair and the two of them come walking by and one of the guys announce “they shine them up, but when you go over and look at them, they nothing but a box of sh#t”. So what do you bet the guy doesn`t even OWN a classic car? What type of Jack-a## comes to a cruise-in and does that. The Prius driver, who`s jealous, wishing HE could afford a car like yours. (His wife probably wouldn`t let him spend the money on it anyway, even if he COULD afford it!) I’m still mad, had to vent..... Life is good, but unfortunately, there are people who take it to upon there selves to rain on our parade. NOBODY has the power to ruin your day, only you can do that. Why does a few words from some insignificant idiot affect you in any way? Does he pay your rent? Does he supply your food? Are you obligated in any way to make him happy? NO??? Then why is what HE thinks so important to you? If you are happy with your car, that`s all that counts.
When some nimrod pointed out some paint flaws on one of my cars one time, I asked what time he wanted me to bring it by his shop so he could fix it.... since it obviously bothered him more than it did me. I just laughed as he stomped off mumbling something.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I would have responded to them by saying "Jealousy is a terrible thing"
Old 07-13-2014, 06:21 PM
Mick71
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15,'21

Ignore the jealous people, they love to point out flaws.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:22 PM
V4motorsports
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I find it's the jealous ones that try to pop other peoples balloons.

Like others have said……F*ck him!!!!!

Russ
Old 07-13-2014, 07:00 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Here Ya' go............

Print up a batch of these.......

and hand one to the next obnoxious/arrogant/low-life that says something hateful.......

Wait for it...................................... .....

B A M !!!

Trust me......I am a doorgunner.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Good thing you don't own a '68 or a '64.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:26 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

OK, I'll bite on a "jerk" thread. Last October at a show. Him:Your top is the wrong color. Me:What color should it be? Him:Same as the body. Me: I'll dye it next week.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:54 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=paul 74;1587352179]OK, I'll bite on a "jerk" thread. Last October at a show. Him:Your top is the wrong color. Me:What color should it be? Him:Same as the body. Me: I'll dye it next week.

LOL. What kind of confused look did you get?

The first Corvette Club I joined (I was 19 and happy to even OWN a Corvette) was a driver quality '74 convertible. At the host club's show, one of the rail birds walks around my car and says "The tail light screws are rusty". I never went back.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

[QUOTE=parkerracing;1587352404]
Originally Posted by paul 74
OK, I'll bite on a "jerk" thread. Last October at a show. Him:Your top is the wrong color. Me:What color should it be? Him:Same as the body. Me: I'll dye it next week.

LOL. What kind of confused look did you get?

The first Corvette Club I joined (I was 19 and happy to even OWN a Corvette) was a driver quality '74 convertible. At the host club's show, one of the rail birds walks around my car and says "The tail light screws are rusty". I never went back.
I have been driving C2s and C3s for 30 years. I don't really react to stupidity except perhaps with stupidity in kind.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes its a matter of perspective and they may not have intended to be insulting to the owner of the car directly. We car people come in all sorts of different forms; as you say, your cruise night had every type of auto enthusiast.

I was once part of a local group of Dodge truck owners. I attended a gathering at one of the founding member's shops and got to see the pride and joy of many of the members. One of the guys had the most amazing trucks, with every ground effect available, custom paint, cool rims/tires and a uber dollar stereo system. At some point during the event he opened his hood only to expose a greasy V6 completely stock!! Now, me personally, I wouldn't have put that much effort into a V6 truck, but, I would have atleast worked on performance before the sub woofers! That, wasn't his taste in cars/trucks. My take was that his truck looked awesome, except, the engine compartment. He may have taken my comments as an insult to him because of it!

When the two guys commented on the OP's car, were they saying your car was a pile of excrement or were they saying the only flaw they could see was the lack of engine detailing? Some see a survivor car as a beautiful thing, while others may see it as a neglected car. Its all a matter of taste. I have small cracks in my hood from 41 years of abuse and have had people point it out. I usually say "I know and plan to replace it when I paint the car" and then some will respond with "yeah, other than that the car looks great"!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

There are always idiots and @zzholes at car shows. You can't do anything about them. The best thing to do is ignore them. They offer nothing of value, anyway.

P.S. "Other" folks can't really make you mad; it is you that decides whether you are mad, or not. When "little" people have comments of "little" worth, getting a rise out of you makes their day. Just tell them to "Move along....move along..."

Last edited by 7T1vette; 07-13-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:45 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I've taken a buddy to a few local cruise nights lately. He is amazed how the Corvette club people ignore me. Don't talk. Don't respond. Don't go look at the other cars.

I have found several with other cars have Corvettes. When they ask what I have while talking about their Chevelle or Mustang or street rod or whatever, I tell them the Corvette and they get a funny look on their face. Then they tell me how the Corvette people shun them if they bring their Corvette out, so they don't anymore.

The last show, a bunch of us were all talking and as I went back to mine to leave to get something to eat, two ladies (no pic, this isn't OT and they aren't OT quality) came up, asked about the Corvette, wanted to take pictures of it, asked about the show and when the cars come out since everyone was leaving, and were just all excited about my car and the cars in general.

So a few jerks are easily ignored when you find that there are more like these ladies, all excited, and thinking you have a really great looking car.

And for all the OP knows, they could have been looking at his, but talking about a car they saw two or three cars over. It wouldn't be the first time someone waits to make bad remarks until they are away from the junky car.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 PM
wheatpj
Racer

Originally Posted by Zoomin
Pics of this box?
Picture of the Box

Get notified of new replies

To Some People

Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 PM
wheatpj
Racer

May have been something in here he didn't like.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:19 PM
wheatpj
Racer

The engine pic is before headers and the braided ignition wires. Best photo I have on my computer.

You go to the cruise-ins for a little fun and then someone says something like that.

Thanks everyone for the support

Pat

Last edited by wheatpj; 07-13-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:47 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

May have been something in here he didn't like.

jesus clean that sh*tbox will ya

Quick Reply: Some People