Sponsored by:

78 work with few tools & small budget

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:13 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Very nice result !

You should be very proud and you deserve it !

Happy Motoring,
Frank
Old 10-16-2017, 06:42 AM
WillardMoose
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two years later

Wow how time flies. Since finishing the car the first time, the work has continued. I replaced the dash, the console and gauge trim, t-top body trim, trim around the windshield, the clock, inside rear view mirror, and have new door panels that still need to be installed. Now it has a nice doe skin interior instead of the black and tan crap with fake wood trim.

I finally found a replacement 3-4 shift lever (flat piece between the shift rod and transmission) to replace the piece of junk that the local "restoration" shop welded together and then filed out which gave me a 50/50 chance of getting 3rd gear. Now I get third gear everytime going up and down. Let me tell you that's fun!!!

Yeah, I took it to a shop to have it professionally finished off. What a joke. For a $1,000 they left the back half of my exhaust hanging in the wind, put things together with drywall screws, and taught me to do any future with myself.

Put on new valve covers which have a PCV value and an actual oil filler cap. Runs much nicer than the old two breather setup.

Removed and repaired the dash wiring harness. Added LED daytime running lights.

Saturday, I straightened the linkage that moves the carburetor choke flap so it actually closes. Wired up the electric choke and adjusted the fast idle. Sunday was 50 degrees and the car started right up and stayed running!!

It's fun getting the little things knocked out.

Still need to get the heat blower working. The fan seems to be jammed against the firewall. It works right up until I tighten the blower box to the firewall.

Last edited by WillardMoose; 10-16-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 10-16-2017, 12:08 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

Just read through this entire thread. Great work and you have come a far distance from when you first got your c3.

I hope that you are glad that you stuck with it!
Old 08-20-2019, 09:17 PM
WillardMoose
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Honest engine rebuild

Time to resurrect this thread. I’ve own my Vette for close to six years (come Thanksgiving). Best thing I did? Blacked out the total on my itemized spending spreadsheet!

Pulled the engine and took it to Auto Machine for complete rebuild. They tore it down to the block, machined the wear out of it, replaced all bearings and most moving parts. Put it back in with my dad’s help and towed it to Bockman’s to time and start it.

While the engine was out, I took the chance to reinstall the AC and heater. I even quit my 80 mile a day commute for a job in town so it won’t cost $30/day to drive it to work!!!
The following users liked this post:
PeteZO6 (08-20-2019)

Quick Reply: 78 work with few tools & small budget