Replacing A/C lines on 1982

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Bikergems
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing A/C lines on 1982

I need to replace A/C lines. Do not want to pull engine or radiator.
Need some good advice on getting to connections.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:17 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

GOOD ADVICE.....Unless you know what you are doing when it comes to an air conditioning system....DO NOT MESS with it UNTIL you have a person who KNOWS about A/C systems look at it first. I honestly doubt you know what is going on due to asking for help in this.

If the system is still under pressure...it needs to be evacuated CORRECTLY...and NOT take a line off an let the Freon out.

I can write that the hood HAS to come off....and you may actually may need to replace more parts than the hose/line set-up. Which is why I would advise you to let someone you know who know about it look at it and advise you.

DUB
Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 PM
Bikergems
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DUB
GOOD ADVICE.....Unless you know what you are doing when it comes to an air conditioning system....DO NOT MESS with it UNTIL you have a person who KNOWS about A/C systems look at it first. I honestly doubt you know what is going on due to asking for help in this.

If the system is still under pressure...it needs to be evacuated CORRECTLY...and NOT take a line off an let the Freon out.

I can write that the hood HAS to come off....and you may actually may need to replace more parts than the hose/line set-up. Which is why I would advise you to let someone you know who know about it look at it and advise you.
DUB
Dub,
You are 100% right. I don't have an idea of what is going on no more than I have a leak.
The A/C expert of 25 years that is working on the system ask me for information on how to access the connections. I was looking over his shoulder when the system was tested. With leak detection equipment in hand the only leak that was found is on the A/C line where the rubber connection and the hard line are made together. As you are aware trying to get to these connections is pretty tight. I hope everything else remains leak free.
I will remove the hood.
Anything else?
Jim
Old 04-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Bikergems
...the only leak that was found is on the A/C line where the rubber connection and the hard line are made together...
Sounds to me you only need a replacement hose or an AC shop to recrimp the fitting. Does the shop make AC hoses? When I blew a hose on my 74, the shop used my original ends and made a new hose.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Bikergems
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Sounds to me you only need a replacement hose or an AC shop to recrimp the fitting. Does the shop make AC hoses? When I blew a hose on my 74, the shop used my original ends and made a new hose.
Easy Mike,
The shop makes fittings.
The crimp is leaking on line from compressor to condenser.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:26 PM
fk200mph
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should also replace the Drier/accumulator, as there is a desicant bag contained within. This absorbs any water that condenses in the system. If the system is leaking as you say, it is open to atmosphere, and that desiccant is probably no good now.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:27 PM
fk200mph
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About 60$, cheap insurance, free water fill destroy your compressor.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:15 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Bikergems:
If he is a n experienced A/C guy...then he already know that it will take either access from underneath for the accumulator or from the top and possible require removing the coolant overflow reservoir. Also having wrenches that have been cut shorter helps also. Depending on the line or part being replaced...it can be NO FUN....gosh knows I know about that. And installing a new hose assembly from the compressor to the other areas in the system....wrestling with it is also a bit of fun but is 'do-able'. I prefer installing a new hose if possible...and it is just more of a visual thing for me.

YES.,,..there are some companies that can crimp on a new hose but it might not look factory...which is why I prefer to buy a fresh new hose.... if I can get one.

Originally Posted by fk200mph
You should also replace the Drier/accumulator, as there is a desicant bag contained within. This absorbs any water that condenses in the system. If the system is leaking as you say, it is open to atmosphere, and that desiccant is probably no good now.
CORRECT ...but also INCORRECT....WRONG SYSTEM.....the 1982 Air Condition system does not have a desiccant bag that you can change out.....this is in the earlier VIR systems....the 1982 Corvette has a CCOT (Clutch Cycling Orifice Tube) system.

If the system went completely out of Freon...I myself would change the accumulator...but that also depends on how long it went while being out of Freon. Pulling a vacuum on the system for some time will remove the moisture and make the system work....but I prefer to change it if possible.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing A/C lines on 1982

Quick Reply: Replacing A/C lines on 1982