1969 Vert - Inspection recommendations request

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 06:00 PM
pmcarman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1969 Vert - Inspection recommendations request

Greetings all!

I've been searching for a daily driver 1969 vert in Florida, and have come across one in south Florida (south of Ft. Pierce) that's a possibility.

That said, not numbers match, and it's got some dings and scars and... well, the usual... While I know $25k is def too high for the car, for what I want it for (daily driver, tinkering project), I'm trying to find out what it's actually worth retail (I'm guessing $15-19k - enough of the bones are there to have a driver that needs some paint and love, but has the spirit).

Are there any inspection companies that anyone recommends? I know I can see the big stuff, but looking for someone who does this on a regular basis that's impartial.

Thanks in advance! -Paul
Old 09-19-2014, 07:44 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You could probably have the car inspected/appraised at your expense, (unless you and the seller reach an agreement to share the cost), but it may prove to be meaningless. If the seller has $22-$25 in mind and not likely to dicker, he/she won't give a hoot about a figure from an appraiser.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 PM
Vette Fetish
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pmcarman
Greetings all!

I've been searching for a daily driver 1969 vert in Florida, and have come across one in south Florida (south of Ft. Pierce) that's a possibility.

That said, not numbers match, and it's got some dings and scars and... well, the usual... While I know $25k is def too high for the car, for what I want it for (daily driver, tinkering project), I'm trying to find out what it's actually worth retail (I'm guessing $15-19k - enough of the bones are there to have a driver that needs some paint and love, but has the spirit).

Are there any inspection companies that anyone recommends? I know I can see the big stuff, but looking for someone who does this on a regular basis that's impartial.

Thanks in advance! -Paul
Classic Auto Trader has inspectors which you can hire. I almost used their service a month ago before purchasing my 73.Sort of wish I had......
Old 09-20-2014, 02:45 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,323 Likes on 2,772 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You could probably have the car inspected/appraised at your expense, (unless you and the seller reach an agreement to share the cost), but it may prove to be meaningless. If the seller has $22-$25 in mind and not likely to dicker, he/she won't give a hoot about a figure from an appraiser.

Mike's right. You can hire an inspector (not an appraiser) for your own personal information and guidance, but a seller probably wont particularly care what he has to say.

Most appraisals arent worth the paper they are written on and often are done by non Corvette guys. They may be useful to convince your insurance company of a certain number (whether its right or not) but not much else.

If you hire an inspector for your personal buying assistance, get someone who specifically knows Corvettes and has experience with the model you are dealing with. Id never contact someone who does "all models." They probably know a minimum about everything. Id want someone who knows what to look at on the car you are considering, not someone who can also inspect a Mustang or a Road Runner.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:56 PM
gunnerja
Melting Slicks

Received 88 Likes on 69 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by pmcarman
Greetings all!

Thanks in advance! -Paul
Example, I just bought last month 69 vert (both tops) daytona yellow on a scale of 1-10 easiliy a 9+ inside outside etc. Side pipes to boot (factory though not original) and I gave 26k. sounds like priced way tooo high.

Get notified of new replies

To 1969 Vert - Inspection recommendations request

Quick Reply: 1969 Vert - Inspection recommendations request