C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using modern technology to help recover lost parts…

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 AM
raven1708
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Using modern technology to help recover lost parts…

Through my quest of hunting down parts for my 69, I have come across a couple of non-production parts that have become almost like a four leaf clover to find (though when I found some of them it felt like I won the lottery). Two parts that come to mind are the engine idle solenoid bracket for 427 w/ac (was able to get one), and the brass overflow brackets (only have 1 of the 2). With the introduction of the 3d printing machines and more precise the ones that 3d print using the metal and density of your choice wouldn’t it be possible to start getting the parts reproduce again? I just recently reached out to a couple of 3rd parties about to the check on price. My only concern would be if there is a sort of copyright to prevent this from being done? I know it will not be an original or anything, I just wanted my 69 to be correct more than original. Pricing would play a big roll in it, but ever year these machines are lowering the price for production. And while it might not be worth my just getting 1 item recreated, what if a vendor got a batch of them. All we should really have to do is send in an original to have it 3d scanned. And what possibilities could this offer to restores in the future with hard to find parts. Just wanting some other opinions on it
Old 12-08-2017, 10:41 AM
Rodnok1
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

One off parts being custom printed will come down I foresee.
As far as batch parts from a supplier, I don't see what the issue would be as long as they're sold with appropriate description. No NOS attached or the like.
Small batches of parts are expensive to have done regardless of the manufacturing process.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:30 PM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

The pot metal part that the indicator stalk fits into is apparently made of "unobtanium" it springs to mind as a part that could be reproduced by 3D printing.

Get notified of new replies

To Using modern technology to help recover lost parts…

Quick Reply: Using modern technology to help recover lost parts…