Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no air top vents/vent door actuator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:26 AM
rjbasile
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no air top vents/vent door actuator?

1979 L82. The air does not blow out of the dash vents at all no matter if its set to max, regular or vent. The air blows out of the bottom just fine on heater and it blows out of the top on defrost. Over the weekend I replaced the vacuum valve behind the controls for the a/c as most forums said that is probably it. It wasn't. It all funtions exactly the same. So, I pulled the glove box out and looked at the vacuum lines coming up from the unit and all are fine except one. There is a line that isn't attatched to anything. The black and white one just comes up and is sitting there not attached to anything. According to the diagrams I look at this line is supposed to be attached to a "vent door actuator located in center duct". Why am I not seeing this vent door actuator to attach this line to? I tested the line and it has vacuum so I am assuming if I just reattach this line to this missing actuator, it will work. HELP!!!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:29 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

do you have this diagram? you dont see two vacuum contolled units one on top of case and one towards left of case?
http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...82_secured.pdf

Last edited by MelWff; 09-22-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:23 PM
rjbasile
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MelWff
do you have this diagram? you dont see two vacuum contolled units one on top of case and one towards left of case?
http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...82_secured.pdf
yes I have seen that. # 4 isn't connected to anything. Its just lying there. What piece am I missing and where does it connect to? Here is a pic...My finger is pointing to the line that goes to nothing.
Attached Images  
Old 09-22-2014, 04:57 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

can you locate these two valves?

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1977-1982.html
http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1977-1982.html
Old 09-22-2014, 05:08 PM
rjbasile
7th Gear

Yes, they are both there and functional.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Valley Vette
Instructor

A pic I took of my 75 to show orig layout during a recent heater core change might assist once you get oriented. The box has been pivoted away from the firewall and also rolled with the back side showing. The heater core is just behind the metal door at the LR of the picture. Good hunting...

Old 09-22-2014, 08:16 PM
rjbasile
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Valley Vette
A pic I took of my 75 to show orig layout during a recent heater core change might assist once you get oriented. The box has been pivoted away from the firewall and also rolled with the back side showing. The heater core is just behind the metal door at the LR of the picture. Good hunting...

The actuator in the pic front and center is the one I feel my line must go to but I don't know where it is. Diagrams say in center duct. Do I need to rip my dash apart to find it? The only way I can easily get to these lines is behind my glovebox but I do not see it.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 PM
kingkohlmn
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Invest in the service manual and the AIM. If you plan to continue to do the work yourself, these two manual are a must. The AIM should show you the location of the valves. Keep us updated as to your progress, I am pretty sure I will be doing the same thing next spring.

Good luck,
Old 09-23-2014, 06:40 PM
Valley Vette
Instructor

I had to remove all in my 75 with a/c to replace the heater core. You may not have to do the same to this extent...don't know. Sorry if this is scary!

Get notified of new replies

To no air top vents/vent door actuator?

Quick Reply: no air top vents/vent door actuator?