Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The following users liked this post:
Antonio Lassiter (01-05-2020)
Old 11-09-2014, 04:04 PM
EASYGEAR
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Earlier when i still had my `81 i was thinking about the Fat Fenders, the OEM-style Fat Body is a nice idea and seems to be nice craftmanship.
The big gap in the wheel wells would bother me.
Also i needed to store big rubber, but wanted to retain a slim body line.
The Fat Fenders look a bit like inflated cheeks, maybe i would like them on a 80 / 82 batmobile design build, not for the Steel Bumper.

I like Flares which add another curve to the body, but flowing with body lines, so ZL-1 design would not work for me.
Advantage of complete side panels they will save $$ or work and / or nerves compared to pure flares which need to be grafted onto the stock panels, certainly outweighs the additional shipping cost.

I wanted some old style in the wheel design too, not really old wheels but slotted rims were a must have.
The Custom Image Flares worked perfect for me and they really hug the wheels (335 rear rubber).
Still in Gel Coat on pictures

Last edited by EASYGEAR; 11-09-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I think I agree with you. The ZL-1 flares look least like they were added on and most like they belong there. Having said this, all of te ones in your pics including the bolt l-88 on look of the yellow car look great with the big tires and wheels.

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 11-09-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by esierra
Very stunning!

Originally Posted by EASYGEAR
Earlier when i still had my `81 i was thinking about the Fat Fenders, the OEM-style Fat Body is a nice idea and seems to be nice craftmanship.
The big gap in the wheel wells would bother me.
Also i needed to store big rubber, but wanted to retain a slim body line.
The Fat Fenders look a bit like inflated cheeks, maybe i would like them on a 80 / 82 batmobile design build, not for the Steel Bumper.

I like Flares which add another curve to the body, but flowing with body lines, so LT-1 design would not work for me.
Advantage of complete side panels they will save $$ or work and / or nerves compared to pure flares which need to be grafted onto the stock panels, certainly outweighs the additional shipping cost.

I wanted some old style in the wheel design too, not really old wheels but slotted rims where a must have.
The Custom Image Flares work perfect for me.
Still in Gel Coat on pictures
....Almost with all that,
While I know one lady here who wants her 79 to be modded to chrome bumpers with the bubble butt rear glass ...the white car you posted is no doubt a stunner,

I thank you for posting pictures, it showed me a lot.
I am cheap and while I agree that the cost of the CIC flares themselves is good 250.00 plus shipping would kill it for me that makes the rears alone 850.00....I paid I believe 175.00 for my nos Ecklers ZL-1's ( full fender ) and I think 75.00 for the ACI also nos, my point is I bargain hunt and have no doubt I can find a set of Ecklers L-88's even if they are cut from a fender...which also are on the fenders and pay far less than 850.00 for them, Since Ecklers has the ZL-1 molds I have to wonder do they have the L-88 molds, ecklers sells the ZL-1's for 439.99 and I can pop over to titusville grab the flares and eat are dixie crossroads... 1/2 what CIC would cost me and in my eyes they do not look that much different to any well installed L-88 flare.
all that spewed I seldom get hasty but I believe I would buy a set of CIC flares if I could get a far better shipping rate just because I want to get the car further along faster...I never heard back from Josh...

I have ncrs in jan and turkey run in a few weeks and might find flares at one of them....
Old 11-09-2014, 05:26 PM
EASYGEAR
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I get your point on cost.

Originally Posted by The13Bats

I never heard back from Josh...

I`m almost sure that was because he was hidden unter a mountain of fiberglass dust and car parts, as i know "working day and night" on builds applies to him very often.
It can be said he is really living Vettes and the shop is his temple, so not answering requests looks contrary to the business thing, but must be happened just because of that reason.
It happened to me also a few times, but finally the pictures above is where i am at current stage - just give him a phone-call as sometimes he is catching up e-mails a little late, some other times at once.
You never know, sometimes world goes round, maybe he has some customer on its way back home half way your direction, that could hand you over parts, or some other way works to save on shipping.

Last edited by EASYGEAR; 10-15-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Mr. Bats, from the rear and low.

All these nice pics of flairs,but this was a 34 years old paint job before it was repainted. Country driving really eats it up. New paint job has the 3M clear protector 18" on the fronts of the flairs now.

Last edited by Mod75; 11-09-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Bats,
For years and years I always planned to flare my 81 and finally decided not to for several reasons.
1) All the flared cars I have seen look so bad *** from that one sweet view, however when you stand next to one, almost all of them just look out of place on the body, not conforming to any line or curve.
2) How much tire do you need? You can fit a 305/25/22 or smaller in the rear wheel well in my 81 effectively without flares or tub. You can easily do a 10 second 1/4 mile on 10 inch slicks. 295s or 305s look huge on the back of a C3, plenty of tire!
3) Most of the cars I have seen with flares have stock rear ends. All that tire ready to twist a half shaft into a pretzel. How can anyone apply any real torque to any C3 rear, without exploding it? More tire = more broken parts, unless you have big money into your rear end, then this point is moot. Still end result is big tires on 9 out of 10 of these C3's is for looks only and will rip your rear to shreds if you apply any real power to the pavement which greatly diminishes the fun IMO.

My favorite flare? I like the Matte Black #17 C3 with the flares that have the stainless rivets. It has a no bs look. Pretty sure it's another flared stock rear C3 though.

That said, I really love the black fat fender custom Qwank posted up, wow that body guy has talent! Making me want to go get some supplies and sculpt my own body! Wish I could see more of that car from different angles.

The way I would do it, after winning the lottery, is find the nastiest biggest tires and wheels you can, whatever makes you happy. These days you can design your own wheels, have a one off set.
Mock them up and build the body around them like Qwanks black C3. The more natural curves the better.
Measure it all, then have Autofab build you a 4 link Moser solid axle rear to fit. Thousands of hard launches, with no failures!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:48 PM
LAddams
Pro

I have the zl1 flares on mine and really like the look. More of a 70s bell bottom look than the CIC ones if that makes any sense.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 AM
rene040269
Racer

Somehow flares look better on a chrome bumper C3 than on a Tupperware bumper C3.

Thats why i like the black C3 above with the fat fenders so much, it looks like it belongs there. Have not seen rubber bumper cars with flares who gave me the same feeling.

Poster "ESIERRA" above has placed a lot of pictures of the "Fat Fender" mod on this site, i have studied his pictures for hours and decided that is the look i want for my '80. Thanks by the way!

Last edited by rene040269; 11-10-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 AM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is mine…..I am going to massage them into the exact shape I want but they are covering 15 in wide tires in the rear.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:23 AM
530planeman
Drifting

Received 145 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Flares

Originally Posted by The13Bats
No...this isn't one of those what should I do, it's my car I will end up doing it my way...and if you don't like flares then not the thread for you...

But I am really pondering the flares...

I am not interested in one off custom made flares but rather the ones that are off the shelf of places like ACI and Ecklers.

There are two types of aftermarket flares the L-88's which cut in tight at the rear they were just made to cover the wide wheel tops not keep mud off,
There are so many different ones, people even modded ones to better suit their taste, mine "look" like the ones ACI now sells, ( I wanted the Ecklers style )

Then the ZL-1 flares which best I can gather that "ZL-1" tag was just given to them by Ecklers they are what some people call "mud flap" flares as they give the kick out on the lower rear and keep water and crud from getting tossed as badly.
Pretty much these were 2" or 4" over stock and Ecklers sold them on part of the fender for easier installation.

Last is this larger screw/rivet on L-88 flare that I can't find who sells them so I don't know if they are plastic or fiberglass, if they were priced within reason and fiberglass I would buy a pair.

I am leaning towards the L-88's as I really like the old school road racer look, I really wish my L-88's were 1" bigger....However the ZL-1's have a whole different striking look...

What I am asking for is which do you like better and moreso why?
Have some on your car please post pictures, I'm looking for food for inspirational thoughts....if you know who makes the larger L-88s with screw dimples please clue me in....
If you OM me an e mail I can send pictures of the flares on my 70 project and tell me who's they are ? i am still trying to figure out how to post pictures?
Wes
Old 11-10-2014, 11:55 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Mod75 thanks for the pix, I had no idea the flares got so eat up on real cars...( real meaning driven )

Mewn:
I too like the flares on the #17 car but no one is stepping up with who sells the true race ( rivet on ) flares,

I dig what all you are saying and much of it is like saying anyone with flares is posturing which is no more true than to say that about air cleaners sticking out of the hood that are trying to look like injectors from the 60-70's,

I will fully agree that 98% of the c3 with flares for wide tires do not need them as far as how the car is used but I can take that further and say that any car that is modded for more HP and never sees a track is posturing,

I am good with that, a person can bust parts with a bone stock lowest hp engine ever put in a vette, I had 12" rims on my wide body 81 with no rear end mods and never busted a part, no, I didn't floor it kid racer style on every take off,

I pretty much hate bigger wheels on c3's bigger meaning modern like 16" plus, and worse with rubber band tires, and then if they are all ghetto looking wheels, gross, a few times I have seen members here post a larger after market modern wheel on a c3 and it looks good but in most cases they look out of place on the classic c3 ( to me )

I really would have no interest in the car craft hobby if all the cars looked the same and had to, I like to personalize my cars and look at other people who do not want to be sheep in a flock, so if I run 10-12" rear wheels ( old school ) with flares and do not hit a track does that make me a poster to some people? I really do not care, I lost that whole "whose car is faster" thing in highschool,

I like the way flares look so will get them you do not so don't, this whole back and forth is moot or at least ironic in a thread headed "which flares do you like".

James411.... to me your car is just about perfect,
I would love to see more pictures and where are the roll bars from, what size wheels and tires are you running,
I took the pic in and lighten it to show the flare better, which is a mud flap style and looks as mean and good as any L-88 here....

This goes to show just how much the wheel and tire make or break a flare....
Old 11-10-2014, 12:14 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Here are 3 pics of Wes's build, very sweet!
The sloped Ecklers rear window , three tail lights, 67 BB scoop on 68-72 BB scoop that motion made famous, at the risk of sticking my foot in my mouth I hope he doesn't do the silly looking to me Datsun z headlights....

Old 11-12-2014, 03:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

After much grinding and learning and looking at wes,mod75 and James, etc cars with this flare.

I decided to go with the ZL-1 flares I already have, my wifes wise words sealing the deal, "If you dont like them, you can change them ".
My car is a 69 convertible I plan to run black so it will look a great deal like James's car and that is sweet, The ZL-1 has a little bit more "finished" look I desire.

I had a long talk with Tommy "Thomas Motorsport Specialities" today who is doing the frame swap on my car and is going to install the flares and with an extra bit of coolness Tommy is going to take pictures and do a series of pictures of what is involved in installing these flares,

I bought mine 2nd hand un-used but Ecklers would love to sell you a set,

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...Product_Viewed

I am also curious what size wheels and tires you run with your flares, not modern wheels, 15" wheels....Thanks!

Last edited by The13Bats; 11-12-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:47 PM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by esierra
Stunning! Any more pics?
Old 11-12-2014, 07:23 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts

These are the GM factory flares. I know this because I got them off the Chevy parts counter in 1971.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:06 PM
Mod75
Le Mans Master

Received 570 Likes on 286 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified

Mr. Bats, tire sizes are

Rear 275/60/15

Front 255/60/15

With the Vector rims and required no mods

Get notified of new replies

To Which style flares do you like?

Old 11-24-2014, 02:07 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Mod75 thanks,
Yours and James flares made me want the ZL-1's

Hey James where do your roll bars come from?
Old 11-24-2014, 04:58 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned but from the first post, the first and third cars very likely have the same type of flares. The original GM/ACI L-88 type flares have the pockets for screws/rivets molded into them, as well as hangers intended to set the vertical location of the flares during installation. Some body guys use screws or rivets to hold the flares in place while the fiberglass bond cures, then they get filled and smoothed over.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Jamess411
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I made mine….watched a few videos and bought a tubing bender.

Quick Reply: Which style flares do you like?