Sponsored by:

lost key to door lock for 68 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:58 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default lost key to door lock for 68 Convertible

I just got a 68 convertible and have the ignition key which works in the ignition switch just fine. However this same key does not operate the door lock. So, I am assuming someone swapped out the ignition key switch somewhere along the way.

So, I am thinking I can get a door lock key made by a locksmith but few questions:
1. Does the door lock key just turn and lock??... or do you have to push in the push button and then turn the key?
2. I can take the door panel off and get the lock cylinder out if need be but of course that is not my first choice.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!
Old 11-17-2014, 02:35 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by 20mercury
I just got a 68 convertible and have the ignition key which works in the ignition switch just fine. However this same key does not operate the door lock. So, I am assuming someone swapped out the ignition key switch somewhere along the way.

So, I am thinking I can get a door lock key made by a locksmith but few questions:
1. Does the door lock key just turn and lock??... or do you have to push in the push button and then turn the key?
2. I can take the door panel off and get the lock cylinder out if need be but of course that is not my first choice.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!
I too have a 68 convertible. Mine came without an ignition switch nor keys of any kind. The 68 vettes came with two keys, one for the ignition switch and one for the doors and the compartment behind the seats.

I pulled the lock cylinder out of the passenger door and took it to a locksmith. He was able to make me a key by using the code found on the lock cylinder. It wasn't expensive and took no time at all.

As to locking the door you can turn the door lock on the door panel and close the door or you can use the key by turning the lock from the outside. You don't have to push the button while you turn the key.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:54 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Sullyman56, The 68 ignition key also opened both doors. The other key was for the center compartment door and the spare tire lock. Lou.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default Ok and thanks!

Ok and thanks, this is very helpful. Sounds like the best way is just to remove the door panel and remove the lock cylinder and take it to a locksmith.

Much thanks for the info and also how the lock works!
Old 11-17-2014, 08:14 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by loup68
Sullyman56, The 68 ignition key also opened both doors. The other key was for the center compartment door and the spare tire lock. Lou.
Thanks, I stand corrected. Something I was not aware of. I owned two 68 Chevelles years ago and the keys worked as I stated for the corvette. I assumed that they would be the same. You learn something new every day on this forum.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:32 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Talk to some locksmiths before pulling your door panel.

A old school locksmith who has done some work for me in the past told me that he has rings made up of all possible key combinations for the older GM products. He told me that there's really only a few key blanks and just a couple hundred tumbler combinations. When he would get called out to a job because someone lost their keys, he'd just bring his key rings and try each key one by one. Most of the time he'd get to the right key by the time he'd be half through his ring. Then he'd just make a new key for them patterned after the one that opened the door.

From his explanation, you can see why the manufacture's have invented chipped keys and other theft deterrents. It was much easier to boost a car years ago than I think any of us would like to imagine.

On your 68, when the door is locked, pushing the button doesn't do anything. When the key is in the unlocked position, pushing the button releases the door latch. You lock or unlock the door by just inserting the key and turning (don't push until you remove the key). Lock the door either with the key from the outside or set the inside lock **** to lock position and close the door while depressing the lock button with your thumb (otherwise the door will latch but won't lock).
Old 11-18-2014, 01:52 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Default much thanks for the feedback

much thanks for the info and help!
Old 11-18-2014, 04:43 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

20mercury, I had to replace my worn out ignition lock, years ago. It is very easy to remove the tumbler. I think the directions are in the GM 1968 shop manual. I had a new GM replacement lock and it has extra pieces with it to re-key the lock. I was able to re-key the new tumbler to match my original key. You might want to change all of your locks to be the same. Hope this information helps you out.
I know that it blows young-ins minds, when you remove the ignition key and the car is still running, LOL!!! Lou.

Get notified of new replies

To lost key to door lock for 68 Convertible

Quick Reply: lost key to door lock for 68 Convertible