Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your C3 today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 11:29 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,663 Likes on 2,921 Posts

Ordered my new Quick Fuel Q-850 carburetor today.
Should have it by Friday

Old 04-25-2018, 01:51 AM
stingraymaniac
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Changed to bigger jets in carb, was out driving and checked the afr, abit more tweaking is required but it hauls a** now
Old 04-25-2018, 03:43 AM
JohnRR
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Ordered my new Quick Fuel Q-850 carburetor today.
Should have it by Friday

That's a good size carb. What engine is it going on?
Old 04-25-2018, 04:49 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Well it was actually Sunday, but had to wait till I had time to post.
I cleaned the corvette up after it's hibernation, then went to work on finishing the removable rear window conversion which is now down. I painted almost all the interior panels and pcs except for the console, which I will do this weekend.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:06 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by JohnRR
That's a good size carb. What engine is it going on?
496 cu in, 10.5.1 cr, Edelbrock Performer RPM heads, Edelbrock Air Gap intake, Crane 230/236@.50 .610 lift hyd roller camshaft, MSD, Sanderson headers, etc.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:26 PM
BLUE1972
Race Director

Received 1,124 Likes on 732 Posts

Went to the club photo shoot, over 60+ corvettes, C3 's stands out,, my 71 great spot
Attached Images  

Last edited by BLUE1972; 04-25-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: hate auto spell
Old 04-25-2018, 01:01 PM
DavidandJoansVette
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Got the wiring diagrams from panamera. They are great! Hope I spelled his forum name correct.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:16 PM
Stephen Irons
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 85 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I fitted the power steering belt that I bought from RockAuto. My first use of RockAuto and based only on that one item I was impressed. Ridiculously cheap compared to the same item for sale in Europe or the UK (my usual sources of supply) and very quick delivery by post.

Genuine AC Delco belt, so popped on with no issues and runs nice and quietly - so also fixes the odd noise issue I had!

Of course, I did notice that the alternator belt was a tad loose. Not the usual belt on mine for some reason, so not so easy to get hold of.....
Old 04-25-2018, 07:22 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Originally Posted by BLUE1972
Went to the club photo shoot, over 60+ corvettes, C3 's stands out,, my 71 great spot
More photos?
Old 04-27-2018, 07:18 PM
pep49
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Finished the drivers side suspension rebuild, new upper and lower ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rod ends and new springs. In order to torque the control arm end bolts I then removed the hood, fan, water pump pully, removed the top two radiator support bolts, loosened the lower side bolts and bottom bolts then rotated it forward enough too get the fan shroud out of the car. Finally I had enough room to torque the bolts!. Now that it's all back together next stop is the alignment shop.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:39 PM
Tim69L46
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thought I had a fuel system problem when returning from a drive last weekend, Car was stumbling and had trouble getting up to speed and 5) mph max acting like bad fuel pump or filter.

Got some suggestions from my Vette doctor and did some trouble shooting first thing he suggested was accelerator cable, Turned out that the new accelerator cable had an improperly placed and crimped metal ferrel on the outer sleeve where the clamp attaching the cable to the carb bracket goes so the outer sleeve was moving in the ferrel to the point it only allowed 1/2" of throttle travel. When I popped the cable off the carburetor the cable end was an inch plus beyond the mounting point on the carb linkage. There was no way to adjust the ferrel at the clamp to make up the distance so I checked the sleeve and it moved inside the ferrel even though it appeared to be crimped. So I pulled the excess sheathing thru the ferrel and all was fine. You may want to check your cable if you don't have enough throttle travel before replacing or bending things. I'm glad I checked it before replacing the fuel pump, filter, sock or messing with the carb. Tim
Old 04-27-2018, 08:56 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Went to install the new Hayden fan clutch on my '69 coupe small block, and discovered that the prior owner had installed a complete clutch-free fan with the spacer integrated. I had hoped to keep the fan and remove the spacer.
But ended up installing a nice 6-blade aluminum fan with the new clutch. I kind of like the brighter look up front now.
Was a bit of a bugger getting it mounted on the pump pulley, as I was determined to use studs instead of just bolting the clutch flange to the pump. The studs wouldn't stay still enough for me to get all four nuts fully threaded. Had to try several times.
Late that night, lying in bed, I figured it out: pre-thread the nuts on the studs a sufficient amount before threading them onto the pump flange.
Oh well - next time I'll know better!
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by pep49
Finished the drivers side suspension rebuild, new upper and lower ball joints, control arm bushings, tie rod ends and new springs. In order to torque the control arm end bolts I then removed the hood, fan, water pump pully, removed the top two radiator support bolts, loosened the lower side bolts and bottom bolts then rotated it forward enough too get the fan shroud out of the car. Finally I had enough room to torque the bolts!. Now that it's all back together next stop is the alignment shop.

Looks great!
Are those new control arms as well?
Or did you have the originals refinished?
I contemplating that project for NEXT summer!
The following users liked this post:
pep49 (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 09:14 PM
pep49
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Bergerboy
Looks great!
Are those new control arms as well?
Or did you have the originals refinished?
I contemplating that project for NEXT summer!
Original. I just cleaned and painted. I'm lucky that car has always been southern, no rust to contend with, just years of dirt and grease.

From this:

To this:
Old 04-29-2018, 10:05 AM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Last week: new carpets front & back

Friday evening: My 78 came with an older CD player that wouldn't read CD's, and missing the rear speakers and grilles. I Dropped by Best Buy and picked up a new pair of 4x6's for the dash, 6x9's and boxes for the rear, a new radio with bluetooth (so it'll play audio files right off my phone wirelessly), and tossed in a 10in Kicker and 600w mono amp just for the heck of it. Total spend was $500. I haven't tucked all the wiring in just yet, as I'm working through the best way to make the sub easily removable. The 6x9 boxes are pretty bulky, but I haven't decided whether I'm going to build my own, or just buy a pair of the tuck-away 6x9 boxes for back there. So these will work for now, while the design evolves. But I can crank Metallica without a hint of distortion, to the point that it drowns out my straight pipes.

Saturday: My headlights weren't being allowed to go all the way up, and the adjusters were too seized to work with in the tight space. So I removed both headlight assemblies, undercoated everything I could reach in there, disassembled and cleaned everything up, and put it back together with 4 new bulbs.

Last edited by DB Cooper; 04-29-2018 at 10:08 AM.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:42 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by DB Cooper
Last week: new carpets front & back

Friday evening: My 78 came with an older CD player that wouldn't read CD's, and missing the rear speakers and grilles. I Dropped by Best Buy and picked up a new pair of 4x6's for the dash, 6x9's and boxes for the rear, a new radio with bluetooth (so it'll play audio files right off my phone wirelessly), and tossed in a 10in Kicker and 600w mono amp just for the heck of it. Total spend was $500. I haven't tucked all the wiring in just yet, as I'm working through the best way to make the sub easily removable. The 6x9 boxes are pretty bulky, but I haven't decided whether I'm going to build my own, or just buy a pair of the tuck-away 6x9 boxes for back there. So these will work for now, while the design evolves. But I can crank Metallica without a hint of distortion, to the point that it drowns out my straight pipes.

Saturday: My headlights weren't being allowed to go all the way up, and the adjusters were too seized to work with in the tight space. So I removed both headlight assemblies, undercoated everything I could reach in there, disassembled and cleaned everything up, and put it back together with 4 new bulbs.
Looking good DB. I installed something similar in my '81. It turns my brain to mush. Especially with some Metallica playing.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:33 PM
letterman7
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installed a new fuel pump (the C4 upgrade) in my '82. Getting it out wasn't actually that hard.. getting it back was another story. Not that the car was having issues, but I thought I would head off any potential issues before they start. But when I got in there, someone had already changed the OE pump at some point.. who knows when. But made my job way easier since the pump in there was plug and play, just like the replacement I had in my hand. Only "bubba" moment was trying to get the last bolt down putting the unit back in - the one up and behind the left return line.. It may be cross threaded.. oops...

Get notified of new replies

To What did you do to your C3 today?

Old 04-29-2018, 08:54 PM
DB Cooper
Safety Car

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Today, I pulled off the old rotten t-top weather strips, cleaned everything up nice, and got my new pair installed. Now there's nice fresh rubber all around the doors, door glass, and t-tops to keep the wet out. Woohoo ! Next time I get the itch to wash the car, I can turn the hose on it without fear of getting the interior all wet

The next round is a series of door projects... waiting on some dye and touchup paint to arrive. Once those are in hand, and I get my new set of rearview mirrors painted, I can pull the door panels and replace the felt window guides, put the new mirrors on, dye the lower part of the door skins to match the new carpet, install a new lock actuator in the passenger side and hook it up to the keyless entry, and replace my driver side outer door handle. Then when my neutral safety switch gets here, I can run my amp wiring underneath the console side panel while I have it off, and I'll have the backup lights working. Easy peasy

Last edited by DB Cooper; 04-29-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:44 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Yesterday (Sunday) we took the 73 for a nice drive over to Benicia which is on the east side of the San Fransisco Bay and walked through the annual car show that benefits the local high school. It was chilly with the breeze blowing off the water but there were several hundred cars in attendance. There were six C2s, two C3s and only one C1.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:17 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Drove the 76 big block with side pipes to pick up my 12 year old from school. Kids and parents thought it was awesome. Best compliment came when we drove up the street heading home, the wife was standing outside waiting to go for a walk. She said I looked so f@cking cool coming down the street. .

Quick Reply: What did you do to your C3 today?