Sponsored by:

Looking for help from Alignment Gurus

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:35 PM
69XR7
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Looking for help from Alignment Gurus

After completely rebuilding my front & rear suspension with all new components, I did my first home alignment. While it felt OK, it wasn't quite spot on and I took the car to a local shop where one of the guys who does alignments is older and is familiar with Corvettes.

After the first alignment the car had a bit of a pull to the right and the steering wheel was not centered. I went back and he made a couple changes and got the wheel centered, but the car still drifts to the right when I don't hold it about 10-15 degrees to the left.

I went back this AM and had it looked at again. He said the left rear toe was off a bit, and adjusted the front camber. The car is a little better, but to go straight down the road, i have to hold the wheel a bit to the left of center. If i let go, it gently drifts to the right.

I'm ready to try and solve this myself - looking for some input on how to get the car to stop drifting to the right. The alignment printout from todays session is attached. Any suggestions on how best to approach this?

Old Today, 07:07 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,434 Likes on 2,673 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Front looks really good. Although I can't see if the steering box is on high center.
rear is toed out. Needs to be toed in.
I'd start there. Get your rear wheels as close to zero camber as you can, get a touch of toe in , about a 1/8 inch per side.
Old Today, 07:26 PM
69XR7
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

When the steering wheel is straight it’s on high center for the box. If i hold the wheel perfectly straight the car will drift to the right. So as i drive i have to hold the wheel a bit to the left.

I’ll start with getting the rear camber zeroed out.
Old Today, 07:31 PM
68blvert
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Most common cause of vehicle drift is tire problem and/or severe road crown. On lift specs look good but I prefer to set all my alignments with slight toe in as tire to road friction will want to push the wheels out. Even so, going by your spec sheet, with good tires and fairly flat road you should go straight. Since he’s already tweaked it a couple times I would first cross the front tires and see if it goes away or goes to the left now. If it does you know it’s in the tires. If the roads by you are crowned pretty good I would decrease the left side caster to compensate. Where I am in Indiana our roads have a pretty good amount of crown to them. I normally set left side caster about 1 to 1.5 degree less than the right side. Counteracts the vehicles tendency to want to ride down the crown to the right.
Old Today, 07:59 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,551 Posts

Not a guru…
modified specs were factory new setting (the tightest)
Make sure steering valve is adjusted right if you have power stearing.
after all suspension components and finally fixng axle end play…my 79 is very tight and straight.
tire pressure check as well.

Last edited by interpon; Today at 08:11 PM.
Old Today, 11:18 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

I think the advice from 68blvert about caster is pretty good. Once I have everything set about right, that is how I make my final adjustments.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for help from Alignment Gurus

Quick Reply: Looking for help from Alignment Gurus